Rear Wheel Axle Nut Torque

Hi brain trust, I have another question,

The manual calls for 111 lb/ft for the torque of the rear axle nut. I’ve read on here that peeps are saying that’s excessive. What is the consensus on the minimum safe torque value. Not a fan of having wheels fall off. Although the rear would be better than the front I’d suspect. 

Did it go up 3 lb. ft.? It used to be 108.

I put a light coat of grease on the axle threads and tighten by hand. To put a # on it 80 lb.ft. It's a lock nut that works too well and gets stuck and galls the threads. All my previous bikes were Hondas, they called for 70-80 lb.ft.

The wheel won't fall off even at 10 lb.ft. but the torque needs to be higher to squeeze the  swing arm together and preload the bearings.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Did it go up 3 lb. ft.? It used to be 108.

I put a light coat of grease on the axle threads and tighten by hand. To put a # on it 80 lb.ft. It's a lock nut that works too well and gets stuck and galls the threads. All my previous bikes were Hondas, they called for 70-80 lb.ft.

The wheel won't fall off even at 10 lb.ft. but the torque needs to be higher to squeeze the  swing arm together and preload the bearings.

Great info. Thanks bud!

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Hi brain trust, I have another question,

The manual calls for 111 lb/ft for the torque of the rear axle nut. I’ve read on here that peeps are saying that’s excessive. What is the consensus on the minimum safe torque value. Not a fan of having wheels fall off. Although the rear would be better than the front I’d suspect. 

I have never used a torque wrench on axle nuts, on any bike street or dirt, in over 45 years of riding and I have never had a nut loosen.  I use a standard length ratchet handle (not a longer breaker bar) and tighten it 'tight' and then just a smidge more.  Same with an oil filter, hand tight and then just a bit more.

Once you tighten fasteners you kind of get a feel for 'how tight' depending on their size.    YMMV.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I have never used a torque wrench on axle nuts, on any bike street or dirt, in over 45 years of riding and I have never had a nut loosen.  I use a standard length ratchet handle (not a longer breaker bar) and tighten it 'tight' and then just a smidge more.  Same with an oil filter, hand tight and then just a bit more.

Once you tighten fasteners you kind of get a feel for 'how tight' depending on their size.    YMMV.

I’ve been wrenching on bikes and other for quite a bit and have what I think is a good feel for how tight a fastener should be, but with wheels, calipers and the like I get a little paranoid. 

Thanks for the response. You all are great. 

• Thumbsup 3

It does seem high to me so I torqued it close but not all the way.  I'm with @betony and @Waldo Jeffers and have a pretty good feel from long time wrenching.  On my first Yamaha (FZ6) started being more meticulous with torque specs - as I recall there were a couple of specs in the manual that were incorrect and not just a little so I always use rational judgement and lock tight.  

• Thumbsup 3