GPS mount

Hogie

I have the factory GPS mount which fits to the handlebar mounting clamps and an AMPS Ram ball mounted to that. I find that with either a phone, GPS or GoPro attached it blocks an area of the instrument panel.

I am now looking at this as it fixes to the screen adjuster so seems to mount the device front and centre and at a better height to not take your eyes off the road. Just wondered if anyone else is using one?

Yamaha Tracer 900 & 900 GT 2018+ High Level Mount Sat Nav - Version 2! | eBay

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Hogie said:

I have the factory GPS mount which fits to the handlebar mounting clamps and an AMPS Ram ball mounted to that. I find that with either a phone, GPS or GoPro attached it blocks an area of the instrument panel.

I am now looking at this as it fixes to the screen adjuster so seems to mount the device front and centre and at a better height to not take your eyes off the road. Just wondered if anyone else is using one?

Yamaha Tracer 900 & 900 GT 2018+ High Level Mount Sat Nav - Version 2! | eBay

That looks like a great solution, especially since you can still use the screen adjustment mechanism. 

I relocated my GPS from the left handlebar near the mirror, to above the instrument gauge and LOVE that location, the only negative (minor nitpick) is needing to lean way forward to reach it with my finger while riding, although usually the only time I ever need to do that is to press the "up ahead" button to look for gas, all normal navigation inputs are done while stopped.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting solution Mamaganet, works the same as the one Chris mentions above and I have just fitted tonight. It is a bit rough round the edges but does the job well and I have always preferred function over form.

I have kept a second RAM ball on the factory mount by the handlebar clamps. All I need now is an end to the big freeze when I can get bike out and put some more miles on it🥶

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Do any of you find that such a high mount obscures your view at all?

I was thinking of doing a similar mount on another bike but I was worried about how it would affect my view when I was looking at the road immediately ahead, such as dodging pot holes or snakes (a common problem where I come from 🙂 )

Not that one looks in that area much, but there's probably a reason why bike manufacturers keep their instrumentation as low as possible.

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, ZigMerid said:

Do any of you find that such a high mount obscures your view at all?

I was thinking of doing a similar mount on another bike but I was worried about how it would affect my view when I was looking at the road immediately ahead, such as dodging pot holes or snakes (a common problem where I come from 🙂 )

Not that one looks in that area much, but there's probably a reason why bike manufacturers keep their instrumentation as low as possible.

I'm 6'-1", I don't find that it obscures the view at all.  I find the higher 'line-of-sight' mount much better than having it mounted low on the bars.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Agree with @betoney... it is far less distracting having it just below FOV than having to look down toward the handlebar. When I look at my gauges for things like speed, it takes far less time than it takes for me to process content on the GPS display, so not really a fair comparison.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Ok. You'all have convinced me it's worth a shot. Just to be sure, I'll mask out the screen that would be obscured and go for a few rides to see if it bothers me. If it doesn't, a new mount may be in my future.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Thumbsup 1

I have just bought a secondhand 900gt with this mount.

As others have said the finish isnt perfect but it works well.

My only issue is that is quite high. not high enough to distract you. But I am having screen issues so may well try a sports screen. Pretty sure the gps will sit above the top of a sports screen.

My solution (which I am hoping to install soon) is a 45 deg ram mount.

I hope to install that on the bottom part of the screen adjuster ( through the rubber bung hole) that will lower it much more, then use a small ram arm to connect to the zumo.