maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Anyone installed an auto oiler  in their Niken? Would love to hear feedback and see photos of any installs. Am seriously considering the ProOiler with GPS. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Anyone installed an auto oiler  in their Niken? Would love to hear feedback and see photos of any installs. Am seriously considering the ProOiler with GPS. 

$325 + shipping to have a GPS oil your chain for you...? 😲

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

My g/f has a Scottoiler on her 650GS - $139 $140, it seems to do the job just fine

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I have a pro-oiler that I bought for my FJ1200 about 9 years ago Did about 50000 kms on that. Transferred it to my MT-09 Tracer and did 50000 kms ( original chain lasted 45000kms) I upgraded to GPS control from reed switch on Tracer . This has been a great piece of kit I have had to buy a few spare nozzles during the 9 years but they are cheap. I have just fitted it on my Niken everything fits under the seat I leave the digital controller under seat because once you have it set I never adjust it . Top oil up about every 8-10000 kms .I made a bracket to fit the nozzle that I am not overly happy with but I am off on a 4000km trip in 10 days so will sort it after my return. Great very well made oiler highly recommended 

20210128_163800.jpg

20210128_163814.jpg

20210128_163828.jpg

20210128_163849.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, biggo said:

I have a pro-oiler that I bought for my FJ1200 about 9 years ago Did about 50000 kms on that. Transferred it to my MT-09 Tracer and did 50000 kms ( original chain lasted 45000kms) I upgraded to GPS control from reed switch on Tracer . This has been a great piece of kit I have had to buy a few spare nozzles during the 9 years but they are cheap. I have just fitted it on my Niken everything fits under the seat I leave the digital controller under seat because once you have it set I never adjust it . Top oil up about every 8-10000 kms .I made a bracket to fit the nozzle that I am not overly happy with but I am off on a 4000km trip in 10 days so will sort it after my return. Great very well made oiler highly recommended 

20210128_163800.jpg

20210128_163814.jpg

20210128_163828.jpg

20210128_163849.jpg

Am super impressed with your personal testimonial as to its longevity since I keep my kit for years across multiple bikes if I can.   

2019 Niken GT

• Premium Member

Nice but my very primitive and manual Lubeman was $22.  31,000 miles from a chain is unbelieveable.  Really.

Apparently a Lubeman is not recommended for elevation changes over 600 feet at locations above 3000 feet. 

🙂

• Supporting Member

Depends on how you ride and ambient conditions. My last bike was a R1150R with shaft drive and that spoiled me from ever having to worry about drivechain issues. Am hoping to semi-replicate the self lubricating aspects and not have to worry about it as much over long distance rides 200+ miles. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, biggo said:

Some more pcs of my pro-oiler 

20210207_141534.jpg

20210207_141312.jpg

20210207_141244.jpg

20210207_141229.jpg

20210207_141225.jpg

20210207_141211.jpg

Thank you sir. Very helpful to see how you routed the Pro-Oiler. A few questions:

1. I've got concerns that I may not be able to mount as much of the Pro Oiler hardware under my seat because I've got an Arboreal systems electronic switching controller under there and it takes up a good amount of space. So my first few questions are regarding hardware placement:
    • Why did you mount the adjustment controller under the seat? I would have thought you would want to mount it somewhere if you get caught in the rain that you would adjust the flow higher? Or is it a case of set it and forget it because your bike doesn't see rain that often?
    • Is the controller flat enough that it doesn't rub against the bottom of the seat? I tried to install an Arboreal systems electronic switch controller in that same area  but it was so tall that it caused the seat not to lock into place.
    • I saw that you managed to mount the oil reservoir under the seat as well - similar question here, I would have thought you would want to mount this somewhere more externally facing for ease of fill? Or is it a case of you don't have to fill it that often so under the seat is ok?
    • Is the Pro Oiler hard to refill (i.e. Intake nozzle looks big enough to pour oil direct from the container into it without having to resort to a funnel of some kind)? And is this why you mounted it under your seat so that you don't have to get a special angle funnel to fill it if it were mounted vertically elsewhere on the bike? 
  2. How long did the install and nozzle adjustments take? 
  3. What oil setting did you ultimate decide upon for regular flow and why?
  4. What kind of oil do you end up using? I'm debating between 10W30 synthetic vs. gear oil...
  5. On an unrelated note- what is that Warrant of Fitness under the seat? Is that an inspection sticker of some kind? The U.S. use to have inspection decals that you had to display on the suspension forks of your bike - but now it's all tied electronically to owner registration documents, and you cannot re-register annually unless you can evidence passing vehicle inspection documentation. 

2019 Niken GT

Thank you sir. Very helpful to see how you routed the Pro-Oiler. A few questions:

Answers in RED

1. I've got concerns that I may not be able to mount as much of the Pro Oiler hardware under my seat because I've got an Arboreal systems electronic switching controller under there and it takes up a good amount of space. So my first few questions are regarding hardware placement:
    • Why did you mount the adjustment controller under the seat? I would have thought you would want to mount it somewhere if you get caught in the rain that you would adjust the flow higher? Or is it a case of set it and forget it because your bike doesn't see rain that often?

I had it on the fairing for my FJ1200 but found that I only adjusted it once or twice and I found when you find the sweet spot it pretty much set and forget . I do ride in all weathers but chain always still protected even after very heavy rain.

• Is the controller flat enough that it doesn't rub against the bottom of the seat? I tried to install an Arboreal systems electronic switch controller in that same area  but it was so tall that it caused the seat not to lock into place.

Controller is about 10mm thick it is sitting on the GPS aerial that is about 15mm thick plenty of room under seat .

You could fot pump controller etc. at the front of the bike where the fuse box is . You may need a longer feed pipe but Im sure they would send you an extra length if you ordered. You could then mount controller on dash easily 

• I saw that you managed to mount the oil reservoir under the seat as well - similar question here, I would have thought you would want to mount this somewhere more externally facing for ease of fill? Or is it a case of you don't have to fill it that often so under the seat is ok?

I fill it up when I service it every 5000kms its never lower than half full at that point would probably go 10000 kms on a fill up.

• Is the Pro Oiler hard to refill (i.e. Intake nozzle looks big enough to pour oil direct from the container into it without having to resort to a funnel of some kind)? And is this why you mounted it under your seat so that you don't have to get a special angle funnel to fill it if it were mounted vertically elsewhere on the bike? 

Easy to pour from a 1lt oil can . On the tracer it was mounted on its side so had to stand it up to fill.

1. How long did the install and nozzle adjustments take? 

I took 2-3 hours making the mount for the Niken but still not happy with it so likely to modify again . Both the FJ and the Tracer had some bolts holding components that I could use the Only things I could find on the Niken were the Bobbin holds .

1. What oil setting did you ultimate decide upon for regular flow and why?

The GPS works out distance and speed and does those adjustments for you You experiment nd how much oil you want on your chain

1. What kind of oil do you end up using? I'm debating between 10W30 synthetic vs. gear oil...

I just use cheap engine oil . Reasons are that you will get oil fling with any chain oiler but engine oil wipes off with some WD40 on a rag 

1. On an unrelated note- what is that Warrant of Fitness under the seat? Is that an inspection sticker of some kind? The U.S. use to have inspection decals that you had to display on the suspension forks of your bike - but now it's all tied electronically to owner registration documents, and you cannot re-register annually unless you can evidence passing vehicle inspection documentation. 

Warrant of Fitness is a vehicle safety inspection that is mandatory here in New Zealand . First one when vehicle is 3 years old then annually thereafter.        

A warrant of fitness (WoF) is a regular check to ensure that your vehicle...

I have attached some pics of fitment of Pro-oiler on FJ1200 to see different application

P1000765.thumb.JPG.91d5d8af3d85ace4afbf7f6330b8ec61.JPG

P1000742.thumb.JPG.ccad7f0bca74cf2134fa3beda447e0a3.JPGP1000771.JPG.36c3c3e53039669faa734d36302793c0.JPGP1000770.thumb.JPG.0154cc6331177fc9fec0717e8c0a83a6.JPG

Edited by biggo
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 2/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, biggo said:

Answers in RED

I had it on the fairing for my FJ1200 but found that I only adjusted it once or twice and I found when you find the sweet spot it pretty much set and forget . I do ride in all weathers but chain always still protected even after very heavy rain.

Controller is about 10mm thick it is sitting on the GPS aerial that is about 15mm thick plenty of room under seat .

You could fot pump controller etc. at the front of the bike where the fuse box is . You may need a longer feed pipe but Im sure they would send you an extra length if you ordered. You could then mount controller on dash easily 

I fill it up when I service it every 5000kms its never lower than half full at that point would probably go 10000 kms on a fill up.

Easy to pour from a 1lt oil can . On the tracer it was mounted on its side so had to stand it up to fill.

I took 2-3 hours making the mount for the Niken but still not happy with it so likely to modify again . Both the FJ and the Tracer had some bolts holding components that I could use the Only things I could find on the Niken were the Bobbin holds .

The GPS works out distance and speed and does those adjustments for you You experiment nd how much oil you want on your chain

1. What kind of oil do you end up using? I'm debating between 10W30 synthetic vs. gear oil...

I just use cheap engine oil . Reasons are that you will get oil fling with any chain oiler but engine oil wipes off with some WD40 on a rag 

1. On an unrelated note- what is that Warrant of Fitness under the seat? Is that an inspection sticker of some kind? The U.S. use to have inspection decals that you had to display on the suspension forks of your bike - but now it's all tied electronically to owner registration documents, and you cannot re-register annually unless you can evidence passing vehicle inspection documentation. 

Warrant of Fitness is a vehicle safety inspection that is mandatory here in New Zealand . First one when vehicle is 3 years old then annually thereafter.        

I have attached some pics of fitment of Pro-oiler on FJ1200 to see different application

P1000742.thumb.JPG.ccad7f0bca74cf2134fa3beda447e0a3.JPGP1000771.JPG.36c3c3e53039669faa734d36302793c0.JPGP1000770.thumb.JPG.0154cc6331177fc9fec0717e8c0a83a6.JPG

Super helpful. Makes sense as part of my preparations to do an Iron Butt. Thanks Biggo!

2019 Niken GT

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
On 2/6/2021 at 2:27 AM, biggo said:

20210128_163800.jpg

20210128_163814.jpg

20210128_163828.jpg

20210128_163849.jpgDo you have a wider macro view of the cable routing on your bike? And any measurements on the bracket you used? Just placed an order for auto oiler  and could use your help in how to fabricate my bracket  please. 

Also couldn't quite tell where the cable to the nozzle was entering even though you had a picture of where the oil line apoeared to be situated behind some kind of plastic piece. Hopefully a wider photo of the back half of your bike from the side will help me visualize this better.  

2019 Niken GT

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Just took delivery of my Pro Oiler. Took almost a month for the package to clear customs from the Netherlands to North Carolina.  Will document my installation in a new thread.  

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 2/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, biggo said:

Answers in RED

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Warrant of fitness | Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency

One other question regarding the bracket you fabricated - does your Niken have the center stand? Did you have to fabricate your bracket to be short enough to not interfere with the center stand?

2019 Niken GT

12 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

One other question regarding the bracket you fabricated - does your Niken have the center stand? Did you have to fabricate your bracket to be short enough to not interfere with the center stand?

A few pictures of my bracket just made it out of a spare piece of aluminum bar I had in shed.

I had intended for to fit on inner edge of threaded holes in swing arm but fitted it on outside in the end because of profile on inner side of swingarm mad it not square. I would like to make a neater job but its been on for 6000 kms now and works ok . No problems with either stands on bike

20210124_182048.jpg

20210124_181906.jpg

20210124_180003.jpg

20210124_164301.jpg

20210128_163800 (1).jpg