Luggage to fit factory mounts

• Supporting Member

The Yamaha hard cases fit those mounts. Many have chosen the FJR1300 cases over the FJ ones as they are wider. Yamaha luggage can be keyed to match the ignition. Often the best deals can be found on eBay or Craigslist.

Panniers

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
On 2/6/2021 at 2:57 AM, Heli ATP said:

Many have chosen the FJR1300 cases over the FJ ones as they are wider.

This is what I did.  Worked out to $500 USD all in, including each of the $100 brackets required.  Far cheaper than aftermarket bags & bracketry.  For more storage I just got a waterproof rollie bag and strap it over the pillion seat.

I've seen other bikes with cases similar to @Ride On's suggestion - also a very cost effective solution.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

16 hours ago, knyte said:

This is what I did.  Worked out to $500 USD all in, including each of the $100 brackets required.  Far cheaper than aftermarket bags & bracketry.  For more storage I just got a waterproof rollie bag and strap it over the pillion seat.

I've seen other bikes with cases similar to @Ride On's suggestion - also a very cost effective solution.

Yeah.  It should be noted that (and obviously this isn't helpful to the OP) you can just buy the FJR *lids* and mount them on the Tracer hardcases, as they are the only different part.  My riding buddy has an FJR, and we can swap our cases freely, the "bottoms" if you will are identical. 

Edit: I've often considered it, because the FJR lids allow you to fit a helmet inside.  There's a level of utility there that kind of trumps how ours look better 😃

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

What info are you looking for?  I can shoot some photos or something if needed.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

8 minutes ago, knyte said:

What info are you looking for?  I can shoot some photos or something if needed.

Thanks! Photos speak a thousand words. That will help get me started.

And looking in your sig, you mention the oil plug mod. Is that the Mazda6 oil plug I've heard about? If so, is it just a simple part swap?

Thanks in advance!

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, DR_DR3I said:

oil plug mod

There are anecdotes all over of folks riding two-up over speed bumps and such and bottoming out / cracked the pan / oil everywhere / trip coming to a halt.

Great thread on that here:

Personally I installed the R1 plug:

s-l400.jpg

Will fit 2016 Yamaha R1. Just wipe off this black gunk, replace...

...then used a grinder to remove (most of) the 'guard'.  It's just aluminum, so it ground off like butter.  In so doing, this changes the lowest point on the bike from the oil plug/guard to the catalytic converter.  I'd far rather a scratch on the cat than a cracked oil pan.  IIRC, the factory oil plug profile is 13 mm, the guard being a bit more, 14 mm or something.  The flush plug is 2 mm.

Or, you could replace the entire pan:

...or install a sump guard.  I chose the cheapest route for the time being, as I don't ride pillion (she has her own bikes!).

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, DR_DR3I said:

We do ride 2-up

Crank up your rear shock preload, too.  It's a PITA, but can be done.

Edited by knyte
add more words
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, RockIt said:

I would love to see pictures of FJ-09's with FJR bags?? Are the brakets different. The covers on my factory FJ09 Hard Bags are scratched. They do not sell just the covers. I would love a solution. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 12:13 PM, RockIt said:

I would love to see pictures of FJ-09's with FJR bags?? Are the brakets different. The covers on my factory FJ09 Hard Bags are scratched. They do not sell just the covers. I would love a solution. 

If you look at the FJR parts list for Gen3, 2013-up, the lids are available separately..... but pricey.  Drill out two rivets on each hinge lid, total 4, rivet on the new ones.... 5/32 or 4mm rivets.  Salvage the backing plate from your old parts if the new ones don't have them.

Scour ebay for damaged FJR saddlebags and paint the lids to your liking..... they're scarce.