Jump to content
RollIt

Rear wheel spinning too fast?

Recommended Posts

It's still nothing to worry about, but, what oil are you using? Clutch need less cable slack?

When mine is cold it will spin in neutral, not fully at engine speed but slightly.

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @peteinpa.  Does seem odd  though. 


"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, peteinpa said:

It's still nothing to worry about, but, what oil are you using? Clutch need less cable slack?

When mine is cold it will spin in neutral, not fully at engine speed but slightly.

Mobil-1 10W40 oil

Clutch slack is OK. It starts to engage only after i've released slightly less than half way.

Cold in neutral spins just a bit, but 8mph in 1st gear with clutch pulled in is baffling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RollIt said:

Mobil-1 10W40 oil

Clutch slack is OK. It starts to engage only after i've released slightly less than half way.

Cold in neutral spins just a bit, but 8mph in 1st gear with clutch pulled in is baffling!

This might help explain it. FTR I didn't know you were talking about "in gear clutch pulled in" (Engaged or dis-engaged depending on who you talk to. )

"Its not that they are engaged in neutral, its that they are all next to each other, with oil between them, and they aren't far apart, they are sort of sitting against each other dragging.

And as is often the case they are Constant mesh designs as well meaning the gears are in engagement, and they have to be "linked" to the output by the means of sliding collars.

So your clutch drags a bit even when pulled in, your gears drag a bit even in neutral, and your wheel will turn a bit, even in neutral with the clutch in.

BUT you will find you can stop the wheel fairly easily.

I would even suggest that if your wheel doesn't turn a bit you probably have something too tight, chain tension, wheel bearing preload, or the bearings aren't very smooth. Something to check.

Rear wheel turns even with Clutch depressed | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)


"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, fddriver2 said:

This might help explain it. FTR I didn't know you were talking about "in gear clutch pulled in" (Engaged or dis-engaged depending on who you talk to. )

"Its not that they are engaged in neutral, its that they are all next to each other, with oil between them, and they aren't far apart, they are sort of sitting against each other dragging.

And as is often the case they are Constant mesh designs as well meaning the gears are in engagement, and they have to be "linked" to the output by the means of sliding collars.

So your clutch drags a bit even when pulled in, your gears drag a bit even in neutral, and your wheel will turn a bit, even in neutral with the clutch in.

BUT you will find you can stop the wheel fairly easily.

I would even suggest that if your wheel doesn't turn a bit you probably have something too tight, chain tension, wheel bearing preload, or the bearings aren't very smooth. Something to check.

Rear wheel turns even with Clutch depressed | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Thanks for the reference.

However if its just oil drag then it should slow down after engine/oil heats up. In my case it spins equally fast (8mph) whether engine is cold or hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RollIt said:

Thanks for the reference.

However if its just oil drag then it should slow down after engine/oil heats up. In my case it spins equally fast (8mph) whether engine is cold or hot.

In gear with the clutch pulled in? Or in neutral.?  My question is. After you rode it around did you try both ways? Also can you slow or stop the wheel spinning with a little friction? ie. Putting your foot against the side of the tire.... 

Enquiring minds want to know. 😀

 


"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

In gear with the clutch pulled in? Or in neutral.?  My question is. After you rode it around did you try both ways? Also can you slow or stop the wheel spinning with a little friction? ie. Putting your foot against the side of the tire.... 

Enquiring minds want to know. 😀

 

Enquiring and curious minds indeed :D

In gear with clutch pulled in, both before and after ride it spins at same speed 8mph. It stops putting foot against tire but it takes an effort (of course 'takes an effort' is relative)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RollIt said:

Enquiring and curious minds indeed :D

In gear with clutch pulled in, both before and after ride it spins at same speed 8mph. It stops putting foot against tire but it takes an effort (of course 'takes an effort' is relative)

Ok. Ya got me thinking. Not an easy feat. 

A 20 minute ride home from lunch at a highway speed limit of 65mph. Not that I was anywhere near that speed. A 15 minute ride in traffic to the house. In the garage on the center stand running in neutral. No wheel spin, at all.

In gear about 7mph wheel spin, with the clutch in. My boot against the tire stopped the spin after about 6 or 7 revolutions. For the record. That's more than I thought it would take.🤷‍♂️

Shift to neutral. No wheel spin, clutch position made no difference. Bike has 53,000 miles. Has run flawlessly the whole time.

IMO. All is fine. YMMV. 

Quit worrying go ride.

20210223_171422.jpg

  • Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×