This tyre plug can kill you......allegedly

BBB

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

SAE connection is a great feature (I also use my SAE to power my heated vest) and I expect those issues listed with any compact pump, however Advdesigns claims a much quicker fill time -"Inflates a motorcycle tire in approx 2.5mins" - We'll see. 

Is that a big aluminium Box than that's the one I was thinking of

i use SAE for certain applications like possibly a pump but for heated gear coaxial connections are much faster and pull apart relatively easy if you forget to unplug before you hop off

of course i don't hop, anywhere Any way

Until I get my back fixed I get on like stepping into Triggers stirrup From the side stand and reverse 

But hopefully come June even July I'll be back in the saddle and not have to do that anymore

• Thumbsup 1

I stripped the working parts from an old car tyre inflator and ditched the plastic bits. It has fitted under the seat of the last three bikes I have run. the old picture below shows the 12v socket set up for my last bike but the 2 amp fuse on the Tracer would not have been suitable so the present set up has crocodile clips to connect direct to the battery. The compressor pushes nicely between the pins of the seat adjuster and keeps the nylon gear wheel clear of the ground in use.

Toolkit.JPG

STK 056.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

I normally like the FortNine videos, but this one didn't seem up to his normal level.  There was too much time spent on "filler" because he didn't have enough material on the subject...tire repair.  I didn't mind, but I did want more on the tire repairs and testing.

I thought the test was flawed.  Maybe it applies well for off-road riding with low inflation pressures in the tires, but at 42 psi in my rear tire, it feels like a rock when you kick it.  Trying to get a rock to push on the plug in exactly the right place and for long enough to push the plug in, would be hard to get happen in real life.  Maybe next to impossible.  So was the test realistic?  Was it even meaningful?

It did make me think about what I was carrying.  I usually carry a Slime SPAIR kit (a bottle of Slime with a decent air compressor) and a Stop-N-Go mushroom plug kit.  I didn't want to use the Slime on my last tire because I had balance beads in the tire, and they wouldn't mix well.  So I dug out the mushroom plug kit.  

Wow, I couldn't get it to go through the puncture site.  It was a tiny tiny hole...but really effective at leaking air.  I finally took a drill and made the hole big enough to install the mushroom plug.  When's the last time you carried a drill on your rides?  I can't think of when I've done that.

I've used the bacon strips before.  But for that, I would need a hole about the size of what I need for the mushroom plug kit that I already have.  The DynaPlug plugs look like they'd work perfect for the size of puncture I had.  Plus, as mentioned earlier here, you can insert multiple plugs into one hole.  It looks like a good solution.

BTW, when you're looking at getting an air pump, look to see how you will plug it in.  My Slime air pump had a cigarette plug connector.  That'd work well on my car...but not my bike.  I carried that thing around for a couple years thinking I had a workable air pump...when in fact, I had no way to use it.

Chris

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, daboo said:

The DynaPlug plugs look like they'd work perfect for the size of puncture I had.  Plus, as mentioned earlier here, you can insert multiple plugs into one hole.  It looks like a good solution.

I carry the DynaPlugs with me and they work very well and easy to install.  It took 3 of them for my last puncture but it held air and I used the tire for several thousand more miles. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, daboo said:

... Wow, I couldn't get it to go through the puncture site.  It was a tiny tiny hole...but really effective at leaking air.  I finally took a drill and made the hole big enough to install the mushroom plug. 

... I've used the bacon strips before.  But for that, I would need a hole about the size of what I need for the mushroom plug kit that I already have. 

I have repaired several very small punctures (and bigger ones) with this "rope" style kit.

It is not like the cheap ones sold at Walmart and auto parts stores.

the "ropes" come in small and normal. "small" worked for me on every puncture I have had. The insertion tool has metal T handle so you can push much easier, and I broke the cheap plastic ones trying to insert ropes in the past. 

The kit comes with a wax like lubricant you put on the tip before inserting, which makes it go in much easier. I called the company because I was suspicious of the lubricant - but they said it is compatible with the rubber plug and actually helps it seal.

I have had 4 punctures in 8 years, 35,000 miles. Most of them were a matter of observing a small screw or nail in the tire before taking off, by definition a small puncture. With this kit I did not have to "drill" to enlarge the hole.  It is still difficult to put the rope in, but with cheaper kits it was actually impossible.

I also patched 3 truck tires with this kit. All tires were kept on vehicles until worn out.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 3
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

I think the important thing is to have a solution to tire punctures you can trust and know how to use.

Some people worry about what tools to bring with them on a trip.  In reality though, we have little potential to fix any breakdown on the side of the road.  With one exception.  If I get a flat tire on the side of the road 50 miles from civilization, I'm dead in the water.  But if I have the means to repair it, I can get home.

Now...do the rest of you use synthetic glue or dino glue to repair your tires?  And does it hurt to use synthetic glue if you are using dino oil?  ;)  (I just couldn't resist that.  :D )

Chris

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, keithu said:

Here's my current repair kit. The tube is a Neely rope plug kit purchased at the local moto shop, and the mini floor pump is from Nuetech.com. It has a built-in stick gauge and should be a lot less tiring than a standard bicycle hand pump. I put both of these items in my tool roll, but they are small enough that I think they'd fit under the Tracer seat. The deck of cards is shown for scale. 

Full disclosure: I haven't actually used either of these yet. I purchased them after my dismal experience with CO2 cartridges and my old plug kit last summer. 

2021_0218_07064100.thumb.jpg.06bd08dd819a2518bbc52972148d0808.jpg

2021_0218_07031800.thumb.jpg.5509aef784f2fedcb0f987d46cccb90d.jpg

I have a bicycle tire pump light that is well they work but there pretty slow though they're compact but the little electric when I have Is just about as packable and a lot easier

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have a bicycle tire pump light that is well they work but there pretty slow though they're compact but the little electric when I have Is just about as packable and a lot easier

I may continue to carry a CO2 inflator and a couple of cartridges on long trips, just because they are easier. But from now on I'll always have this manual pump as backup. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

the "ropes" come in small and normal. "small" worked for me on every puncture I have had. The insertion tool has metal T handle so you can push much easier, and I broke the cheap plastic ones trying to insert ropes in the past. 

FYI, with most "ropes" I've used they can be split apart because they are made up of individual strands.  So I split up several on my workbench and store them in slick plastic sleeves in a zip-lock bag.  A bit of Acetone or rubber cement can reactivate the ropes if they get dry, and aid during insertion.  I don't know where I originally got it but I have an ancient open fork insertion tool that is half the size or less of the auto types.  Really works well on MC tires.

• Thumbsup 1