• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hello from San Diego

Rhino177

Howdy folks,

Been through about a dozen bikes but my most recent ones have been an FZ-10 and MT-07 for the last several years.  Never saw myself as the sport touring type as I've traditionally always gravitated to naked standards.  Buddy of mine hooked me up with a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 last December and, to my surprise, I really enjoyed it and was instantly hooked.  Despite the plethora of things I loved about the Versys there were two pretty major snags I just couldn't stop being bothered by; 1) I really don't like the ninja 650 motor - at all - and 2) I commute for work a lot and was really missing the cruise control on the 10.

Fast forward to present day and I've traded my Versys in for a 2020 Tracer 900 GT.  I now have an engine that isn't putting me to sleep and cruise control.  Everything I care about has been far better on the Tracer than the Versys save just the windscreen.  The Givi I had on the Versys was vastly superior to the optional large Yamaha touring screen which I find to be "meh" at best.  I otherwise love this bike!

It also gets my infinity garage one step closer.  I've got the 10, 09, and 07 now.  All that is left is a 03 for the track and I will have unlocked infinite power!

PS: From a theme standpoint it's a bummer about the red color of the Tracer but I'm thinking about doing something about it.  Pic of my hair brained idea attached.

PPS: Am I crazy or is the Tracer using the MT-07 rims?  Are they 1:1 or are there differences?

tracer.jpg

lineup.jpg

tracer-recolored.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Congrats on the new ride!  Welcome to the forum...lots of knowledge and a good vibe here - you came to the right place!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

I like your red alot, it's almost as sharp as the fastest red 15.

I'd let it grow on you before trying something. 

Are you by Escondido?

I'm from Hillcrest.

San Diego County is Nirvana especially back in the day before it became part of LA LOL

@wanderer Thank you!
@knyte 👍
@Garybinnyc Yes!
@texscottyd I'm loving it, so far it's pretty much what I wanted out of the box.  Maybe a color swap and wind* screen mod is all I'm considering at the moment.
@2and3cylinders I am familiar with the Hillcrest area.  Used to go to RB Sushi over there all the time pre-COVID.  I'm in Ramona.
@Yamajank Yeah, not really feeling the red.  Pretty sure I'm going to swap it to armor gray to match my other bikes!

Edited by Rhino177
  • Thumbsup 1

Welcome and congrats on getting the Tracer GT.

I had an uncle who lived in a beautiful spot in Del Mar before he passed.  I am jealous of you for the San Diego weather.  We are slowly crawling out of winter here in Kentucky.

I like your idea for the bright colored wheels.  Anything that makes the bike more visible to others on the road is good in my opinion.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

10 hours ago, wanderer said:

I have the MRA Sport wind screen for sale. we're close, you could take it for a test ride. I'm in Scripps Ranch. 🙂

I'm just up the road from you in Ramona!  I'd certainly be down to check it out.  I'm on a weird schedule where I work weekends.

Is it taller/wider than the factory Tracer 900 Touring Windshield?  Curious as to what you've settled on using yourself?

Not a great picture but you see it here. Left is OEM, middle is MRA Sport, right is Puig Racing. I have settled on the Puig.

My experience as I've move to smaller screens is that the screen has to be large enough to  send the air over your helmet, or short enough that you get clean air on the helmet. Nothing in the middle has worked for me. The Puig is just about right for my 5'11.5" frame. Even that one, I could see it being a wee bit better if it were .5-1" shorter.

Many discussions of screens on this forum. One suggestion that is often made is remove the screen and try it out.

20200813_184115_cx.thumb.jpg.b37f95e4ddd7ab729ea6777ec16e2467.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

I'm unfortunately pretty familiar with windscreen rabbit holes.  I went down one a bit on the Kawi Versys but struck a happy balance with the Givi windscreen.  I may try another Givi on the Tracer but my concern is the slope of the windscreen is pretty much angled right at my face.  I'm unsure if any size windscreen at this juncture is going to make a difference if I don't change that incline a bit.  Perhaps even 1/4" of spacers on the top bolts will be enough of an angle adjustment?  Dunno, but I'll experiment a bit.

I'm resistant to a shorter screen since I already have the FZ-10 with a fly screen & MT-07 with nothing.  My true love is for the hyper naked and wouldn't change a thing about them - don't mind the wind one bit while I'm on them.  The Tracer is just supposed to be the boujee bike.  Thinkin' about those seat warmers, a big wind screen...  maybe even cucumber slices, bidet and foot massager if I can work it out.  😆