Hello from San Diego

Rhino177

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

When it's 45 degrees, you need a barn door that works!

This is exactly what opened my eyes to sport touring.  I'm used to riding my naked bikes down to Chula Vista or Camp Pendleton @ 3am in the morning from the hills of Ramona and some of those trips it's in the 20's so it's a damn chilly ride.  By the time I arrive my hands feel like they've been frozen over and smashed by a hammer and it takes a good hour or two to thaw out.

Acquired a Kawi Versys and reluctantly took that down the hill for the first time with it's heated grips, grip guards, barn door windscreen and a heated jacket liner and it was at that very moment I realized I've been doing it horribly wrong for cold weather this whole time...  I felt like a cave man that had just discovered fire.

Edited by Rhino177

I had a 2019 versys 650 before upgrading in december to a 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

I completely solved the wind screen thing with a National Cycle Vstream screen with a MRA Xcreen touring spoiler add-on. No earplugs, open visor at any speed.

795872450_Screenshot2020-12-14at20_19_37.thumb.png.c7a4a6325c2f313652acb4d7ce0dd20c.png

I now have a Givi screen and the same MRA add-on but it's not working for me. I tried all combinations. I guess it's just not high enough...

3F25BDE9-BAC4-46D9-ADEF-BC86C48DB9D7.thumb.jpeg.e07339cab1ef02d6553b6590302e2585.jpeg

I get by with the earplugs but will probably get a different screen in the end. I've researched it extensively and the Puig screens seems to get the most satisfied testimonials, perhaps matched by Madstad but I actually have never seen these around here so I think it's a US only thing.

3 hours ago, petshark said:

I had a 2019 versys 650 before upgrading in december to a 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

I completely solved the wind screen thing with a National Cycle Vstream screen with a MRA Xcreen touring spoiler add-on. No earplugs, open visor at any speed.

I now have a Givi screen and the same MRA add-on but it's not working for me. I tried all combinations. I guess it's just not high enough...

I get by with the earplugs but will probably get a different screen in the end. I've researched it extensively and the Puig screens seems to get the most satisfied testimonials, perhaps matched by Madstad but I actually have never seen these around here so I think it's a US only thing.

This has been my experience as well.  I had the Givi windscreen on my Versys, no spoiler, and it was great.  Could be cruising in the fast lane on the freeway with my visor wide open and using group coms with virtually zero wind noise.

I just purchased another Givi for the Tracer but just simply looking at the wind screen's angle my bet is it's not going to change a whole lot as far as wind noise is concerned.  It seems you're confirming this to be true.  I bought a bunch of rubber spacers off Amazon to experiment with modifying the slope of the screen to work around this.  I'm hoping a steeper incline might be the ticket.

12 hours ago, Rhino177 said:

This has been my experience as well.  I had the Givi windscreen on my Versys, no spoiler, and it was great.  Could be cruising in the fast lane on the freeway with my visor wide open and using group coms with virtually zero wind noise.

I just purchased another Givi for the Tracer but just simply looking at the wind screen's angle my bet is it's not going to change a whole lot as far as wind noise is concerned.  It seems you're confirming this to be true.  I bought a bunch of rubber spacers off Amazon to experiment with modifying the slope of the screen to work around this.  I'm hoping a steeper incline might be the ticket.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting:

The test look promising:

image.thumb.png.9b842a661c477230dd7002b4ee6a7708.png

I was not able to find any similar tests for the Givi screens. That combined with reports of bad aerodynamic qualities on the Tracer screen makes me think that Givi is not tested in this way so results will be hit or miss depending on your bike and screen type.

I really don't like the look though which is what is holding me back. Maybe I should also try the spacer thing first. Let me know how it goes.

• 1 month later...