Drive Chain Tension

v1nn1e

Perhaps someone can make a sticky about the need to have the final drive chain a LOT LOT looser than stated in the manual, at leas the manual that comes with the early bikes.

I upped it a little from the manual but you need to be aiming at nearly 40mm plus to ensure the chain doesn't run out of slack before the swing arm arc has reached it's maximum extension.

• 7 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Has anyone had final drive issues yet due to the tight chain issue?  The amount of whine associated with a tight chain indicates that it should eventually lead to issues.  The 1st time I adjusted according to the manual I went for a ride and immediately came back and slacked it off but others may have pushed on thinking the manual was correct.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Many, many threads on that already.  Search chain tension and you will see.

I set our fleet, from dirtbike to streetbike, to about 1" 1/2 which feels about right.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

yeah I've read a lot of those threads but I've yet to see anyone say they had issues with the final drive.  Issues beyond noise I mean - bearing failure is the most likely outcome I can imagine but perhaps those bearings are robust enough to deal with the excess tension

Edited by hawk
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I would think so, too, as well as stretch.

It's like the oil level in any vehicle - better not enough than too much.  Error on the side of slack :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I tried this when I had the linkage off after setting to 10mm and going for a ride.

It sounded terrible, like it was really straining the output shaft and bearing.

Got back and went to 35mm straight away, there's no way that spec is right in the owners book.

With linkage off, I set to 10mm and then moved the swingarm through its normal arc until it reached full shock travel, the chain was so unbelievably tight at this point that in my opinion you're risking failure.

• Thumbsup 2