Multistrada V4

keithu

• Premium Member

I was intrigued by the specs of the new Ducati Multistrada V4 when it was announced. Ride reports are starting to appear and it sounds like a pretty damn good sport touring bike with a little capability off pavement:

21005-Ducati-Multistrada-7491_feature.jp

The much-hyped 2021 Ducati Multistrada V4 is finally here and it...

It looks like a V4S with the stuff I would want is around $25k. I know it's not as rational as the S1000XR ($21-23k) or the Tracer 9GT ($15k), but man it sounds like a lot of fun. Talk me down from the cliff.

• Thumbsup 1

I don't think there is any doubt this bike is about the most amazing machine of it's type to ever exist. The power, the technology, even the switch to non-desmo valves and longer service intervals. The price is prohibitive to many of us, but as a machine, damn. I sure wish I could afford to have and maintain one. But that ain't so! 

• Thumbsup 2

After many years, I'm genuinely impressed with a new bike launch. Amazing specs, first reports show that it's the real deal. I wish I could afford one. 

Some would be disappointed with the fuel economy though...

Edited by lospsi

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, lospsi said:

I haven't seen any reviews mention fuel economy yet. This is usually difficult to track during press intros because the factory support staff are constantly topping it up and checking things over. At least this bike has a decent size tank (22L/5.8 US gal). 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

I was intrigued by the specs of the new Ducati Multistrada V4 when it was announced. Ride reports are starting to appear and it sounds like a pretty damn good sport touring bike with a little capability off pavement:

21005-Ducati-Multistrada-7491_feature.jp

The much-hyped 2021 Ducati Multistrada V4 is finally here and it...

It looks like a V4S with the stuff I would want is around $25k. I know it's not as rational as the S1000XR ($21-23k) or the Tracer 9GT ($15k), but man it sounds like a lot of fun. Talk me down from the cliff.

They'll be no talking you off of the ledge. If you're able, just run towards it, or ride off of it. Ha.

I've ridden two Ducs. My friend's 900 SS and my son's 950 Multi. Both were great. The handling of the SS was crazy good. The Multi is a little top heavy, but I could get used to it. My son said he thinks the FJ handles better than the Multi. I agree. 50 lbs. lighter and not top heavy.

No dealer here in Boise and they are kind of pricey. I actually have a soft spot for the air cooled multis. I hear they turn you into a mechanic.

I think the new engine should cut down on the cost of ownership. The attention to detail is incredible. Should be for that kind of money.

Do it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

The Multi is a little top heavy, but I could get used to it. My son said he thinks the FJ handles better than the Multi. I agree. 50 lbs. lighter and not top heavy.

I noticed that, too. Also noticed the 19" front wheel but I have a friend with a variety of experience (advanced on track, coast to coast Iron Butt, etc.) who says the slightly larger wheel is fine on road.

At the end of the day I think an FJ like ours is a budget version of the Multi. If you have the deeper pockets, enjoy it. The Multi doesn't meet my value criteria.

I would still love to ride one. One of the best bikes I have ever enjoyed was a Ducati ST4S back in the mid 00s. Ducati knows how to sport tour. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, lospsi said:

The specs on the Ducati website claim 6.5L / 100km, which works out to about 36mpg US. So the 22L tank gives a max range of about 210 miles / 338 km. I guess it's a good thing the fuel tank is as big as it is; I'd definitely have to add aux fuel to this thing. 

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

Definitely worth the watch. 

I watched that ride review the other day and at the end I was shocked at how difficult it was for him to rate it against the bare-bones Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. 

It sounds like an amazing bike though, the blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise are especially impressive.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

13 minutes ago, keithu said:

The specs on the Ducati website claim 6.5L / 100km, which works out to about 36mpg US. So the 22L tank gives a max range of about 210 miles / 338 km. I guess it's a good thing the fuel tank is as big as it is; I'd definitely have to add aux fuel to this thing. 

There are reviews that claim almost 8lt/100km (average).

https://youtu.be/-acJgdf4JJk

Screenshot_2021-02-19-23-21-48-557_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

I just have two simple questions:

Who can use 170 hp off road?

I spend $25k and side bags are extra?

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Well, well I’m not gonna lie but I’m pretty jealous of this bike yeah sure it cost a lot but the power power. Some of the tech I care about some of the tech I don’t care.  Don’t get me wrong the tracer is quick from 0 to 60 and even up to 100 mph however it’s lacking power in the upper speeds. Well I have a huge touring screen and luggage cases ( top & sides). Explains why it’s a little slower however the tracer is very unstable around 130 mph depending on the setup. but I’m honestly glad the tracer has a decent  power and great MPG‘s. 45 MPG for my setup. pretty happy with the acceleration overall, Plus I shouldn’t be going on over 100. 

Personally don’t care about the adaptive cruise control. As long as it has cruise control I’m happy. It’s always cool to have it though but you pay extra.

As for the Blindspot monitoring detection I would love to have this feature. Kinda reminds me of the first couple of years when bikes came out with ABS. You pay extra for ABS and now pretty much all bike come with it standard. 

The last thing that I would be concerned if I was buying this bike was the reliability. I bought a Japanese bike for a reason. One major reason was the long-term reliability.   15 years plus with over 100k miles. My first bike was a 1982 Kawasaki KZ 550. With all the maintenance done that bike ran well and I also abuse the crap out of it. It was also neglected before me.  

If money wasn’t a issue yeah hands-down I would definitely get this as a sport tourer instead of the new tracer 9GT 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

When I learned that the bike weighs 570 pounds wet I stopped watching the video.  😧 

The V4 mill is heavy but is also the most amazing motor ever. It never stops putting a shit eating grin on your face.

I'd own this bike with that motor within a second if I could justify the price.

The bike would never see a day of offroad .

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 4