2018 Tracer 900 bars on a 2016 Tracer 900?

N1ghtr0d

Hey guys, I have what I think is a common problem. The bars on my 2016 Tracer 900 are to phucking wide and trying to get it in the back gate can be challenging as well as dangerous if I scrape the wall or drop it. 

Today I learned that the 2018 Tracer has bars that are 10cm narrower than my bars! 

Needless to say, I really need to narrow these bars and I don't want to start chopping bars. 

Can the 2018 Tracer 900 bars fit my 2016 Tracer 900 OR can anybody recommend for aftermarket bars??? 🤔

I'd love to find some aftermarket bars that would cut down on the vibrations from the engine too. 

Edited by N1ghtr0d

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, N1ghtr0d said:

Hey guy, I have what I think is a common problem. The bars on my 2016 Tracer 900 are to phucking wide and trying to get it in the back gate can be challenging as well as dangerous if I scrape the wall or drop it. 

Today I learned that the 2018 Tracer has bars that are 10cm narrower than my bars! 

Needless to say, I really need to narrow these bars and I don't want to start chopping bars. 

Can the 2018 Tracer 900 bars fit my 2016 Tracer 900 OR can anybody recommend for aftermarket bars??? 🤔

I'd love to find some aftermarket bars that would cut down on the vibrations from the engine too. 

Most handlebar manufacturers will list dimensions so you can choose what suits you.  These are Rizoma MA011.

Image result for rizoma ma011 dimension

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks brother. I had a look at Rizoma and the only thing I'm not certain on is, will everything on my yamaha bars simply transfer over without any drilling? 

My mechanic tells me that there are wires for the controls inside the stock bars so I'm kinda lost since I've never replaced bars with internal wiring before. 

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, N1ghtr0d said:

My mechanic tells me that there are wires for the controls inside the stock bars so I'm kinda lost since I've never replaced bars with internal wiring before. 

I don’t think that’s correct.  I still have the stock bars on my FJ, but I replaced the factory risers with Rizoma components, and there wasn’t any sign of wiring inside the handlebar itself.  All the switchgear has separate wiring that runs outside of the bar, then down through the risers and triple clamp.  

• Thumbsup 1

I'm watching a video on replacing the bars on a mt09 and I got it wrong. 

He was telling me about the Pilot holes in the bars that need to be drilled to line up the controls correctly. I'm just a phucking idiot and forgot exactly what he said. 

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, N1ghtr0d said:

He was telling me about the Pilot holes in the bars that need to be drilled to line up the controls correctly.

So, two options there: 

1) Drill locating holes in the new handlebar 

2) Grind down the little locating pin on the switchgear housing, and set the controls wherever you want them on the new bar.  

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

2) Grind down the little locating pin on the switchgear housing, and set the controls wherever you want them on the new bar.  

Now you're talking. Where did I leave that dremel? 

I'm thinking Rizoma MA009R red bars would suit my lava red Tracer 900 down to the phuckin ground 😁

Thanks brother. 

• Thumbsup 1

Just put on the MA009 bars on my 15. I did not drill the holes in the new bar I dremeld the pins to just above flush maybe 1mm for more clamping force. Dont think it needed it. All controls are tight, don't rotate.

There are no wires in the bars. I also removed half an inch from each end to shorten further. I tapped the ends for FZ09 barends. 

Even with bar risers there is great slack with all cables and hoses since the bars are shorter. The updated clutch cable curve puts it perfectly right where it needs to be.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Just put on the MA009 bars on my 15. I did not drill the holes in the new bar I dremeld the pins to just above flush maybe 1mm for more clamping force. Dont think it needed it. All controls are tight, don't rotate.

There are no wires in the bars. I also removed half an inch from each end to shorten further. I tapped the ends for FZ09 barends. 

Even with bar risers there is great slack with all cables and hoses since the bars are shorter. The updated clutch cable curve puts it perfectly right where it needs to be.

I just ordered the MA009R in red to match the paint job on the bike. 

I am just gonna grind down the pins too. phuck drilling! 

• Thumbsup 1

10 minutes ago, lospsi said:

I have seen gen1 Tracer with the gen2 handlebars.  Why wouldn't they fit after all?

As far as I know, it's something to do with the controls being different on the newer models. 

I ended up ordering a set of Rizoma MA009R (Red) bars and I'm just gonna grind down the little guidance tabs so I don't have to drill the bars. 

Just now, lospsi said:

I believe that the newer handlebars would fit without problems or modifications.

That said, Rizoma bars are always nice!

I checked the part numbers on cmsnl Ave the bars on my model only work up to the 2017 tracer and the 2018 + models, use a different bar, which also happens to fit the 2016 MT-09. 

The tracer doesn't use the same bars as the MT-09. 

• 1 month later...

Are the first gen bars wider diameter at the clamps like the 2019 bars are?  I usually swap bars on my bikes given you can get bars in basically any shape or size for like $30, but I haven't bothered on my Tracer because of that.  

Edited by Wintersdark