Hello from NC

Just-Tim

I just picked up my Tracer 900 GT yesterday from a shop 3-1/2 hours away! Very few 2020’s out there and the deal I got was worth the drive! Got home just after the rain and just before dark so I took it for a quick spin and love it so far. It was a little chilly and I couldn’t figure out how to turn the grip heaters on while riding, figured it was time to go home and RTFM.. I’ve been riding since the 80’s and have 3 bikes now, a TW200, a Goldwing GL1800, and now the Tracer. After 5 elbow surgeries over the last 10 years from injuries and arthritis it was time to switch back to a lighter more nimble bike, that and the wife doesn’t wanna ride anymore, so the Goldwing is now for sale. My first Yamaha was an FJR and I loved  that bike, it was a 2009 and my only complaint was lack of cruise control, and I decided the wife would be more comfortable on something bigger and less sporty, so I sold the FJR and got the Wing. My new Tracer seems to be a good mix of features between the GW and the FJR, though after yesterday’s ride I may miss the wind coverage some days. 😜

Expect my next post to be about larger windshield or adding additional coverage to stock.

Tim

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good folks here and a lot of valuable information regarding our bike.  

The stock windshield is definately a poor design.  Going with a shorter screen is a popular solution but puts you in the wind quite a bit.  

Western North Carolina is one of my favorite places to ride!!  Sounds like you are not far from there.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Not too far from WNC, that’s where we ride mostly. Actually picked the bike up in Hendersonville, just south of Asheville, NC. Great Yamaha dealer there, it was the most pleasant motorcycle buying experience I’ve ever had.

22 minutes ago, Just-Tim said:

Not too far from WNC, that’s where we ride mostly. Actually picked the bike up in Hendersonville, just south of Asheville, NC. Great Yamaha dealer there, it was the most pleasant motorcycle buying experience I’ve ever had.

Tim, welcome to the forum. I live in Fletcher NC, half way between Asheville and Hendersonville and have a 2019 Tracer GT.  Lot's of good roads in WNC. Look me up when you're in this area and I can show you some great roads.

• Thumbsup 1

OP: Welcome! Beautiful area with great roads all around you. 

8 hours ago, dpippin said:

Tim, welcome to the forum. I live in Fletcher NC, half way between Asheville and Hendersonville and have a 2019 Tracer GT.  Lot's of good roads in WNC. Look me up when you're in this area and I can show you some great roads.

Do you know John Faddock? He's in your area. I might be misspelling his last name... 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Just-Tim said:

...have 3 bikes now, a TW200, a Goldwing GL1800, and now the Tracer.

I like you already!  :) 

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new Tracer.  They’re really entertaining motorcycles, and I’m sure you’re going to love it.  

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, koth442 said:

OP: Welcome! Beautiful area with great roads all around you. 

Do you know John Faddock? He's in your area. I might be misspelling his last name... 

koth442 Yes I know John. He runs the HVL airport. I usually see him at the track.

13 hours ago, dpippin said:

I bought the bike in Hendersonville, nice folks that run the Yamaha shop there! We’ve not ridden that far south, but it’s coming, we are normally above Asheville around Damascus and Bristol for weekend rides.

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, dpippin said:

koth442 Yes I know John. He runs the HVL airport. I usually see him at the track.

Have we met at a trackday then? I've been to CMP with John & Jeremiah several times. 

'15 FJ09

10 hours ago, Just-Tim said:

I bought the bike in Hendersonville, nice folks that run the Yamaha shop there! We’ve not ridden that far south, but it’s coming, we are normally above Asheville around Damascus and Bristol for weekend rides.

You're in for some EXCELLENT riding. Enjoy!

'15 FJ09

On 2/24/2021 at 7:28 AM, koth442 said:

Have we met at a trackday then? I've been to CMP with John & Jeremiah several times. 

May have.  John usually brought a camper. The group I was with always rented a garage and I slept in my trailer. I sold my GSXR750 track bike to Joe Roberts in September 2019. Joe sometimes road with J Faddock at the track.  My contact is doug dot pippin at bellsouth dot net.