Hello from California (they say it's NORCAL)

Xstoff

• Supporting Member

@maximo - Thanks for the suggestions.  I have heard great things about Hopland and that is why I am deliberately adding that section this time.  I had considered the 253 cut-off but didn't know if it was a dirt road or paved all the way through, I'll have to add it to the route.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, Kurtrs said:

I might suggest Hwy 49. If one takes it from Auburn, Ca, south to Oakhurst, it is 175 miles of the most amazing California scenery and roads. 

5d72ec_0813e766d2d5498191655bb352fc33e1~

Best Central California Motorcycle Rides - Highway 49 The Little Dragon

Kurt

That 49 looks really nice!

I'm used to take Mount Hamilton Road AKA 130

3 hours ago, betoney said:

@maximo - Thanks for the suggestions.  I have heard great things about Hopland and that is why I am deliberately adding that section this time.  I had considered the 253 cut-off but didn't know if it was a dirt road or paved all the way through, I'll have to add it to the route.  👍

I'll be interested in what you think of 29 between Middletown and Calistoga. That's the part that goes up and over Mt. St. Helena, through Robert Louis Stevenson Park. The top section is a long series of 300 degree curves, one after the other. There's some folks who love it, some who think it's a PITA. Either way it's an uncommon bit of road that needs to be ridden at least once. 

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

1 hour ago, maximo said:

I'll be interested in what you think of 29 between Middletown and Calistoga. That's the part that goes up and over Mt. St. Helena, through Robert Louis Stevenson Park. The top section is a long series of 300 degree curves, one after the other. There's some folks who love it, some who think it's a PITA. Either way it's an uncommon bit of road that needs to be ridden at least once. 

Going from Calistoga to Middletown via 29 is a blast for sure. Going the other way...not so much fun in my opinion.

And 253, super fun. Took it on a whim once, then altered my route for the next morning in order to hit it again

• Thumbsup 2

17 hours ago, Kurtrs said:

I might suggest Hwy 49. If one takes it from Auburn, Ca, south to Oakhurst, it is 175 miles of the most amazing California scenery and roads. 

5d72ec_0813e766d2d5498191655bb352fc33e1~

Best Central California Motorcycle Rides - Highway 49 The Little Dragon

Kurt

I'm a Foresthill native, now leaving in E. Tennessee. It drives me nuts they call 49 and/or priest's grade "little dragon". I've ridden the dragon, it's got NOTHING on either. If anything, "The Dragon" here in E. Tennessee should be the little one... /endrant

• Like 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, koth442 said:

I'm a Foresthill native, now leaving in E. Tennessee. It drives me nuts they call 49 and/or priest's grade "little dragon". I've ridden the dragon, it's got NOTHING on either. If anything, "The Dragon" here in E. Tennessee should be the little one... /endrant

I only rode a short section of 49 from Sonora to Jackson and that area had a lot of small towns and slower moving traffic, I need to get back down there and ride the winding Southern section.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

15 hours ago, taylormade21 said:

Going from Calistoga to Middletown via 29 is a blast for sure. Going the other way...not so much fun in my opinion.

I concur with your assessment. I find that timing is also important. A substantial number of people live around Middletown and work in Napa/Sonoma, so volume of cars flow accordingly. On this stretch it's easy to get caught in a long line of cars. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I only rode a short section of 49 from Sonora to Jackson and that area had a lot of small towns and slower moving traffic, I need to get back down there and ride the winding Southern section.

Amador County is a hidden gem.

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ09