Bike not hitting rev limiter

jaspermt

My bike is a: Tracer 900 2018 version.

A couple of times now i've accelerated and expected the bike to hit the rev limiter but instead the bike appears to loose power and doesn't make the iconic rev limiter noise. When standing still and revving in neutral (or with the clutch in) the bike will actually hit the rev limiter but when moving it doesn't.

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior for the Tracer, and if it isn't if there is something i can do about it?

Thanks in advance!
Jasper

Do you watch the tach. as you accelerate? How high does it actually rev. while moving? What gear(s) are you doing this in? If the tach is only getting to say 8K RPM I'd suspect a blockage in the airbox.  Mouse nest???

Could also be fuel pump low pressure/volume.

Next is ignition.  Do you have an ECU flash?  Might have changed the rev. limiters per gear.

I had my ECU flashed with Ivan's flash but even before the flash this problem occurred.

I don't know if it happens in every gear but so far it has happened 2-3 times and of those times i think i was in 4th or 5th gear. The last time it happened i watched my tach go all the way towards 11-12k RPM's.

I was expecting the engine to hit the rev limiter but instead it looked like it choked itself, after letting go of the throttle everything was fine though.

If you do it in 4th or 5th gear (at this point you're doing a top speed run) it's more subtle, you won't "bang" into the rev limiter it'll just stop making power. Try it in 2nd with TC turned off and it will be like you expect. 

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

If you do it in 4th or 5th gear (at this point you're doing a top speed run) it's more subtle, you won't "bang" into the rev limiter it'll just stop making power. Try it in 2nd with TC turned off and it will be like you expect. 

Ah okay that makes sense, i'll try it out and report back, thanks for the response.

Did it yesterday in 2nd and 3rd. Rev limiter hits at 11.5k rpm like normal.

In 3rd it was at 107 mph.

In higher gears due to wind resistance I figure it won't surge at the rev limiter.