Someone asked how much weight the sidestand can support.

I commented that it supports my weight on the bike just fine.   But now we know the upper limit...

1834136834_2021-03-0517_03_43.thumb.jpg.90fb5946dbf5874250a3d93a8b2499f7.jpg

Apparently, the upper limit is one Jeep Liberty.  Being backed into my poor Tracer.

The Givi Kappa crash bars did some good work, though, preventing any damage to the engine cases, and fortunately the bar ends hit the ice and didn't suffer any damage.  

Broke the feeler off the foot peg which was kind of weird, IMHO, but if it's gonna pick parts to break, feelers is fine for me.  They're wear items anyways.  

I'm deeply, deeply thankful I didn't have the hardcases on the bike; definitely would have ended one of those.

Broke the front lower panel where the Jeep's spare hit the bike, too:

526955374_2021-03-0517_04_06.thumb.jpg.873e8b50352bf5f60a81fcf3d7105fac.jpg

but this really just serves as an excuse to order new, shiny, black front panels anyways.  

The bendy pumpkin blinkers survived miraculously; even the wife's efforts to pick the bike back up again.  I'm kind of disappointed there, as it would have been a good excuse to invest in some spiffy LED indicators.  But that'll remain a project for another day.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 5

Your wife wasn't driving the Liberty was she? :(

• Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I commented that it supports my weight on the bike just fine.   But now we know the upper limit...

Apparently, the upper limit is one Jeep Liberty.  Being backed into my poor Tracer.

Well, that sucks.  Fortunately only minor damage occurred.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

That sucks!  ...but could have been a lot worse.  Sounds like it wasn't a showstopper.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

3 hours ago, nhchris said:

Your wife wasn't driving the Liberty was she? :(

Oh, she was.  She feels bad, but I'm actually pretty proud of myself, just went with "it's ok" and went and ordered new parts.

$500 insurance deductible so not worth claiming, and admittedly it gets me an excuse to order black side panels vs having to wrap a new one to match the other side.

Also, while obviously it didn't help with the panel breaking, you can see the rub mark on the panel where it got hit - that's entirely in the vinyl , so (had it not broken) the vinyl would have protected the paint.  Not helpful to me, but good to see how sturdy the stuff is in practice.

And yeah, I'm glad the damage is pretty minor.  I'm *so damn happy* I sprung for the crash bars.  Even at their cost, they definitely saved me a bunch of money today.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, she was.  She feels bad, but I'm actually pretty proud of myself, just went with "it's ok" and went and ordered new parts.

You do of course realise that this is one of those golden moments that only come along once in a blue moon!

You now have a large 'credit in the bank' for future purchases and completely guilt free! 😉

BTW - glad there was no real bad damage.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Glad you and the bike are mostly OK. I once had my wife riding with me and she was a noob passenger. We pulled into the garage on my Connie, and before I knew it, she had stood up on one of the passenger pegs to get off and I wasn't ready. We just toppled right over! Scratched some plastic. Learned a good lesson in how to dismount a bike when you are a passenger! 

• Sad 1

OMG, too funny. Your poor wife.

I always play the safety card when I need a new farkle (or bike). As in....

"Honey this new (fill in the blank) will make my riding much safer."

Hard to argue against that concept!!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

12 hours ago, Rick123 said:

I’m surprised it is hollow inside and not a solid piece. Disappointing.

If it was solid, he'd be replacing a while lot more right now.

• Thumbsup 3

34 minutes ago, nhchris said:

OMG, too funny. Your poor wife.

I always play the safety card when I need a new farkle (or bike). As in....

"Honey this new (fill in the blank) will make my riding much safer."

Hard to argue against that concept!!

What's funny is that basically every farkle I've ever put on my bike has some way I can argue it's To Be Safer.  It's *never* going on to be safer though. 

20 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

If it was solid, he'd be replacing a while lot more right now.

Yeah, that's a good point.  I'm not sure how it would have gone, but in all honestly the kickstand itself is like $70.  That's a pretty small cost, given it's rather firmly mounted to the frame.  

Bent frames do not provide happiness.

• Thumbsup 1