Someone asked how much weight the sidestand can support.

• Supporting Member

I would take a real good look at the mounting pieces for the foot peg that lost it's feeler, make sure that there are no crack or stress damage. 

My wife no longer pulls her car into the garage, it was getting expensive taking care of the collateral damage.  

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I park my scooter in front of my wife's Smart car.  LOL don't have to worry too much as she loves that car more than me I think.  My younger son did hit my new Ford Transit Connect van (passenger version) with my Chevy Volt!  He was borrowing the Volt as his VW was broken.  Fortunately not too much damage.  However my mother-in-law is the one in my family you have to watch out for.  She used to run her car into the wall in the garage pulling in too far - the electrical panel was i the wall! Father-in-law started putting the recycling bin in front of her car - saved the wall but recycle bin was always messed up!  Mother-in-law has given up driving a car but now has a power chair - runs into stuff with it as well!  My wife goes over and cheeks on her, I cautioned her about parking where the garage door could come down on her car - she didn't listen and now has a scratch on her hood from the garage door.  Mother-in-law with the opener LOL.  

Years ago I was moving my Yamaha FZ6 around in the garage.  Leaned it over onto the kick stand - I was on the other side of the bike and didn't notice it wasn't down.  It slowly leaned over in my VW Rabbit leaving a couple of 6" creases on the side.  My daughter now drives the car with the creases still there!  I have a 2 car garage with 2 doors but only a 18 inches between them.  I used to park my bike between the cars as I could get it out by the Smart car - being very careful to not scrape it.  Now since I'm retired and don't ride to work every day I park my favorite scooter there and put the bike further inside.

• Thumbsup 2

59 minutes ago, Rovari said:

Glad everything is OK all things considered...at least you can still ride while you wait for a new kickstand and panel. At the same time you get to practice putting the bike on the center stand. You will be a pro in no time at all! 

Just curious how much the side panels cost? Have you priced them out yet? I was considering to get a couple as spare parts. Every day the prices go up on these types of items. Cheers.

IIRC they are approximately $130 Canadian each.  I got two, as I got them in a different color (black). 

I actually have always used the center stand a lot; I've got proper bike stands from my previous bikes, but I generally prefer to just use the centerstand for random maintenance stuff like tire changing and all.

• Thumbsup 1

40 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I would take a real good look at the mounting pieces for the foot peg that lost it's feeler, make sure that there are no crack or stress damage. 

My wife no longer pulls her car into the garage, it was getting expensive taking care of the collateral damage.  

They're all good; I was really surprised when I saw the feeler on the ground (did a fairly thorough check around the bike for any random other potential damage) as that's kind of a random thing to have break off when the bike goes over.  It's a cheap Chinesium footpeg, though, the feeler was only threaded into the peg by about 3 threads, and it tore them out with it.  The mounting pins and the body of the peg itself are fine.  

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Rick123 said:

Maybe yes, maybe not.

Well, it's remotely possible that the jeep may have just pushed the bike while it remained upright, but there's a lot of ways it could have gone way worse.  Vaulting over the sidestand and landing kind of top down, or bending the frame where the sidestand mounts being the two worse cases that spring to mind. 

There's a hole at the base of the foot as drainage, and it turns out my side stand was somewhat rusty inside.  I'm not too happy about that, really - I'm considering (when I get the new one) giving it a solid misting with wd40 up through that hole, then spraying some expanding foam in there to seal it all off. 

1584603474_2021-03-0610_15_27.thumb.jpg.d5bfebb29a4c3af2f46c9b775aedc8ed.jpg2006965858_2021-03-0610_15_20.thumb.jpg.19a5db6ef6b81666376fdc22a9241b52.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark

17 minutes ago, Rovari said:

Wow, a buck 30 for each panel..more than I thought . Thanks for sharing.

I agree on the center stand usage...for me side stand is short duration, otherwise it's on the center stand. 

Went back to the website to check again, they're $73.99USD each, so $93.60CAD each.  

Shop online for OEM Cowling parts that fit your 2019 Yamaha...

45 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Well, it's remotely possible that the jeep may have just pushed the bike while it remained upright, but there's a lot of ways it could have gone way worse.  Vaulting over the sidestand and landing kind of top down, or bending the frame where the sidestand mounts being the two worse cases that spring to mind. 

There's a hole at the base of the foot as drainage, and it turns out my side stand was somewhat rusty inside.  I'm not too happy about that, really - I'm considering (when I get the new one) giving it a solid misting with wd40 up through that hole, then spraying some expanding foam in there to seal it all off. 

1584603474_2021-03-0610_15_27.thumb.jpg.d5bfebb29a4c3af2f46c9b775aedc8ed.jpg2006965858_2021-03-0610_15_20.thumb.jpg.19a5db6ef6b81666376fdc22a9241b52.jpg

I agree with you in this particular case (how many times it happens?) but generally it should be solid part. Wondering if in few years we gone hear about bikes falling down (some with rider on it) because of rusty kickstands. I usually get on the bike with kickstand down and specially when I have side cases on it so there is a weight of the bike + my weight. I’m pretty sure many here use the same approach.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Rick123 said:

I agree with you in this particular case (how many times it happens?) but generally it should be solid part. Wondering if in few years we gone hear about bikes falling down (some with rider on it) because of rusty kickstands. I usually get on the bike with kickstand down and specially when I have side cases on it so there is a weight of the bike + my weight. I’m pretty sure many here use the same approach.

I'm sure this isn't an isolated model with this design though, are there any bikes with a solid steel side stand? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm sure this isn't an isolated model with this design though, are there any bikes with a solid steel side stand? 

One in my garage - VFR 800 as an example. BMW uses aluminium I believe and many more for sure.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Rick123 said:

One in my garage - VFR 800 as an example. BMW uses aluminium I believe and many more for sure.

That's the first I have ever heard of them being a solid piece of steel, I have known many guys over the years to hack them in half and slide a solid slug inside the hollow shaft portion and then re-weld them at different lengths to suit their needs.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, betoney said:

My BMW F800GT had a solid steel side stand.  It would make me nervous as it would flex a bit but did the job - foot was way to small.  Myy Kymco scooter does have a hollow side stand :-) but it stays mostly on the center stand.

I would recommend painting the inside of the new stand with some sort of rustproofing paint.  May not prevent rust but hopefully would slot it down.  The way it broke is unusual.  Im no metallurgist but would have thought it might have bent instead of tearing like that.  Almost wonder if it was a manufacturing defect or something.  Doesn't appear to be any flattening, maybe because it is so close to the weld.  

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm sure this isn't an isolated model with this design though...

Big Multistrada has (had?) the same design... but it apparently suffered from bad welds. Looks like ours is untreated on the inside and just slowly rots away, more so in some climates than others. Poor quality.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

I’ve used my kickstand as a pivot to spin the bike around. Many times loaded with side bags, a tail bag, tank bag and a cooler. Looks like I’ll be spraying some oil in to it to prevent rust. 
last year the wife and I were returning from a long weekend trip into WV and OH. We stopped in Butcher Hollow KY to visit the Loretta Lynn home. I spun the fully loaded bike around in the parking lot of the general store so that we could get out easier. An old man got out of his truck and walked over and said “ I bet you couldn’t do that with my Harley”. I laughed and guaranteed him that I couldn’t. 

• Thumbsup 4

Let’s go Brandon