Helmet stink

knyte

• Supporting Member

OK this isn't a gear review so much as a gear question :)

Nearly any time I get in to a car, my side of the vehicle fogs up.  I've just learned to live with it.

Last year my helmet STUNK pretty bad from the previous year, so I disassembled it and washed all the padding.

This year it's even worse...even with the pads removed, the hard styrofoam liner still reeks.

The cheek pads and such are all antimicrobial..but sheesh, this is insane.  The last few rides last fall were uncomfortable (as in smell) due my clearly sweaty head.  It's an AGV K3, and has decent ventilation - which I do make use of!!

What do you do to help quell the helmet stink ?  I was thinking of some anti-bacterial Febreeze, but chemical smell isn't my favourite, either.  Just hoping to neutralize it a bit, somehow.  There's got to be a better way!

Edited by knyte
clarity

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Sorry to hear! The diversity of human biology is remarkable. Depending on your sensitivity to smells, I would try various sprays like Lysol. I can tell you as a former biology teacher that what you are smelling is the byproduct of microbial activity. Killing the little buggers, is your goal. Spraying a mix of hydrogen peroxide would also work, but may bleach materials, I'm not sure. 

I spray my boots with Lysol every few weeks and they remain smelling great. Maybe Lysol makes a version without scent? 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I spray my boots

That's the funny thing - in all my life, my feet / shoes / boots / socks have never been a problem whatsoever.  After years of cross country skiing, work boots, insulated gum boots, moto boots.

Stick me in a full face helmet, visor down, and I'll reek anyone out of the room.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, kilo3 said:

Ozone machine.

It so happens I do have one!!  ...it needs new plates, though..but yeah, can do.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, knyte said:

Lasr year my helmet STUNK pretty bad from the previous year, so I disassembled it and washed all the padding.

This year it's even worse...even with the pads removed, the hard styrofoam liner still reeks.

I have never needed anything further than washing the pads and then I might do that once every season, now my dirt bike helmet is a different story, I need to wash the pads almost every ride and spray the shell with Febreeze. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Use one of these for boots. Liked the old UV boot dryer (never use this for a helmet tho) but you can't buy it anymore. Doesn't really deodorize but it does slow down new stink buildup. The helmet piece is an attachment. You have to buy the original. 

PEETHelmetDryport-main_1200x1200.jpg?v=1

Start your ride right with a fresh...

• Thumbsup 1

I have been wearing modular HJC IS Max helmets for about a dozen years.  I have three currently and rotate according to season......I wear one at the end of its life in the humid summer when I am hot and sweaty........it gets tossed in the trash at the end of summertime.  I consider a helmet a short time consumable and replace regularly.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

HJC IS Max

My g/f has an HJC IS Max 2 and loves it.  We just ordered her some tinted visors and a chin curtain.

Oddly - or, not - hers doesn't smell at all!! I offered to dismantle/clean it it but she didn't want me to.

3 minutes ago, knyte said:

My g/f has an HJC IS Max 2 and loves it.  We just ordered her some tinted visors and a chin curtain.

Oddly - or, not - hers doesn't smell at all!! I offered to dismantle/clean it it but she didn't want me to.

I soak my helmet liners with just a tiny bit of Woolite added......smells like new until it doesn’t again.

• Thumbsup 1

I sweat easily and a lot.  I use a different tact to avoid swamp-helmet.  I always ride with a helmet liner.  I have a couple Heat Out brand liners from CycleGear and alternate them.  I throw them in the washing machine after long rides and they have held up well.  I also make sure to air the liner out when I'm not on the bike (hang it off the handlebar when I park).  When I ride, I can't tell I'm wearing these things and they seem to keep the helmet fresh.  I used the same Bell helmet for about 4 years and never had any problems.  My Shoei is a couple years old and I'm having the same result.  Of course - YMMV.  

Ride Safe!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Man, I'm sure glad to know I'm not the only one.

Some really great ideas here, and it's helping to devise a strategy :)

Thanks for all the great ideas!

22 hours ago, knyte said:

OK this isn't a gear review so much as a gear question :)

Nearly any time I get in to a car, my side of the vehicle fogs up.  I've just learned to live with it.

Last year my helmet STUNK pretty bad from the previous year, so I disassembled it and washed all the padding.

The cheek pads and such are all antimicrobial..but sheesh, this is insane.  The last few rides last fall were uncomfortable (as in smell) due my clearly sweaty head.  It's an AGV K3, and has decent ventilation - which I do make use of!!

What do you do to help quell the helmet stink ?  I was thinking of some anti-bacterial Febreeze, but chemical smell isn't my favourite, either.  Just hoping to neutralize it a bit, somehow.  There's got to be a better way!

Do you have trouble with visors fogging up?  

I've not needed to go to that extent (I just occassionally wash my helmet pads) but I'd probably take the pads out, wash them, spray the foam with some febreeze, give it a couple minutes, then rinse the helmet with a copious amount of water.  I mean a LOT.  Close the visor, fill the helmet if you can, agitate it a lot.  That'll help the antimicrobial stuff do it's work and get into all the nooks and crannies, and also just to flush it out.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I wear a skull cap under my flight and riding helmets and it really helps with perspiration. Real cheap option is the HEAT-OUT Cool'R Helmet Liner.

heat_out_cool_r_helmet_liner_grey_750x750.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1