Helmet stink

knyte

Wash your hair or shave your head.

My head has been shaven for over 20 years, I have an X-Lite 802 that is more that 10 years old and it doesn't smell at all.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Do you have trouble with visors fogging up?

I sure do, except on very warm days.  Constantly have to flip the visor up to clear the fog.  I've tried all the usual anti-fog measures, but it's looking like a pin-lock will be the answer.

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

rinse the helmet with a copious amount of water

Now this I had not thought of, mostly because I've got a comm system installed, but...it's just velcroed in, so shouldn't be a big deal to give it a wash.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, YamaGeezer said:

I have a couple Heat Out brand liners

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

Real cheap option is the HEAT-OUT Cool'R Helmet Liner.

That's two votes - also looks like a good option.  I was thinking of trying a Buff, but they're not really a wicking material, it seems.  Buffs are also WAY more expensive, lol.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, andz said:

First part, check

Second part, yep this is also in the cards this spring.  I usually keep it pretty short, but gone is an option too.

• Thumbsup 2

30 minutes ago, knyte said:

I sure do, except on very warm days.  Constantly have to flip the visor up to clear the fog.  I've tried all the usual anti-fog measures, but it's looking like a pin-lock will be the answer.

Now this I had not thought of, mostly because I've got a comm system installed, but...it's just velcroed in, so shouldn't be a big deal to give it a wash.

I also have a serious issue with visor fogging, and that's a big part of why I went with my gmax MD01S: 

It *never* fogs, even in a rainstorm or -30C riding.  And having a heated, dual pane face shield is simply wonderful anytime its even cool out.  Feels like sunshine on your face.  I keep the power connected unless it's over 13Cish; and because it's dual pane you get the pinlock benefits the rest of the time too.

I always had a huge amount of trouble with my visor fogging - to the point I typically just rode with it up - but I get tired of bees in my helmet and rocks in my face.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

On 3/10/2021 at 7:39 PM, knyte said:

First part, check

Second part, yep this is also in the cards this spring.  I usually keep it pretty short, but gone is an option too.

Hair is over-rated!

• Thumbsup 1

There are a couple of different helmet cleaning sprays that actually do work quite well. I've had much better results with these than with washing the parts. I think the last one I used is called "Helmet Fresh".

And it's quite safe to dunk the whole helmet in water (with perhaps a mild solution of Woolite or similar) to attack the deep-down funk.

I'm not sure the ozone generator idea is a good one; ozone can damage many of the plastics, glues, etc. found in helmets. Whether the level of exposure needed for de-stinking is enough to damage a helmet, I dunno.

All that said, sometimes nothing really works and it's time to shop for a new lid.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, andz said:

My head has been shaven for over 20 years, I have an X-Lite 802 that is more that 10 years old and it doesn't smell at all.

It doesn't always work that way. I've been clean headed for around 10 years, and last year my helmet got FUNKY. Washing the liner took care of it, so it didn't get in the EPS. I'll be interested to know how this thread ends.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

It doesn't always work that way. I've been clean headed for around 10 years, and last year my helmet got FUNKY. Washing the liner took care of it, so it didn't get in the EPS. I'll be interested to know how this thread ends.

Yup I'm the same, will only buy a higher quality helmet with easy to remove/clean liners and cheek pads. I will wear a really thin head covering when it's real warm out, also helps with less sweat and helmet stench. I use woolight and will clean mine when the weather turns to cold crap, that way is nice and fresh for the first opportunity to ride.

When I was in the National Guard, my flight helmet would get so nasty smelling from sweat that I started spraying it with Lysol after every flight. This probably not something you want to do but it is a suggestion. Also, there are specifics products for this as mentioned previously. You might have to deal with a chemical smell if it's better than stank smell. Good luck.

• Supporting Member

So far so good with this

To be fair, I've barely run two tanks so far this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party here but maybe try hydrogen peroxide.  Thoroughly soak everything with the 3% stuff from the drugstore.  Spray liberally inside with all pads removed.  H2O2 is a good de-stinkifier, if the smell is from bacterial growth.   I work with it sometimes.    It may have a mild bleaching effect on the color of the pads so keep that in mind.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, whisperquiet said:

I consider a helmet a short time consumable and replace regularly.

Yeah I go by the 5 year rule. After 5 years it's over. Styrofoam is decenter grating as well as other things ageing. Unless it gets 1 good hit. That's the other thing that ends a helmets life. I usually want a change by 5 years anyway. I'm sporting a Isle of Mann Bell Full face now.

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

And finally, if all else fails to get rid of the smell, any smell, then there's this to consider....... 😜

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

sanitizer.thumb.jpg.8f21a51a37b8ab9a2a0dcc9907ee5a5d.jpg

• Haha 1

Hey, just saw this;

6300-0304-01.jpg

Features: Sanitizes and eliminates helmet odor on contact using...

Or this;

6300-0804-01.jpg

Features: Bundled kit icludes microfiber cloth and four 4 oz sprayer: Helmet...

The helmet refresh is cheap alone. Try it and if it works, great. If it doesn't you're not out much.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!