FNG from East TN

18 minutes ago, TNHoosier said:

Hello, current FJR owner looking for something lighter now that I live near some of the best roads in the US. Joined so I could learn more about the Tracer to see if it is the right choice for me.

I was riding a ZRX1100 with a pipe so that lightened it a little. I figured it was around 540 - 550 lbs. This is a noticeable improvement from that at 462 lbs. Also had a ZX11 Ninja but that ole mans ninja was a pig at 620 lbs. with stock dual pipes. Really liking the FJ with a great power to weight ratio. Only thing I lack at this point is some I ride with are on ZX14s and 2nd Gen VMaxes. They come out of corners and romp on it for a few seconds and they are bopping along at 150-160 mph. I'm back there peddling as fast as I can...I got nothing. The FJ screams to 120-125 though! Which is as fast as this ole man NEEDS to be going, LOL!

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

First, congrats on your move to east TN.  Beautiful country, no state taxes and some of the best roads in the country for motorcycling.  I would be living there now but the wife has too much family here to move.  

If a light, comfortable sport touring bike is what you are after the Tracer GT will be hard to beat.  On long days in the saddle, the lightness of the Tracer pays dividends in that you do not get fatigued from throwing around a lot of weight in the twisties.  I have a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 which is only about 35 pounds heavier but the Tracer goes in and out of corners with much less effort.  Coming from the FJR, which I have ridden, the difference will be huge, and the fun factor will be more than doubled on the mountain roads you will be riding.  The triple engine is smooth and very willing to rip with a surprisingly flat torque curve, and has more than enough power to keep you entertained.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I'll be honest, for the roads out here, I'd rather have something a bit lighter. BUT, I'm a small dude with a primarily sportbike background, so the FJ feels heavy and the tight windy roads puts a lot of pressure on the front end IMO. Coming from an FJR, you might feel like the FJ is ideal. Tough to say.

'15 FJ09

Thanks for all of the replies. Reaching the ground is not an issue. Being too cramped is usually the issue for me. I had a Tiger 1050 and loved the ergos and the triple. I am hoping the Tracer is similar. I will try to sit on one when I take the FJR in for the brake switch recall.

• Thumbsup 1