How similar are the FJ and FZ9 frames?

texscottyd

• Supporting Member

I’m working through some ideas for my next project bike build, and specifically rolling frame candidates for the 421 RZ/Banshee two-stroke motor I have sitting on a shelf.   

It’s my understanding that the FJ09 and FZ9 frames are largely the same (but I suspect not identical).   Does anyone know how similar they actually are?  Specifically I’m most interested in the width between the frame spars...  After a few quick measurements of my FJ, I think the parallel twin would fit neatly within the frame, but I don’t have an FZ handy to verify it’s the same working space.   

Mostly information gathering at this point, as I have a couple of other projects that need to get wrapped up before starting on this two-stroke hybrid play toy.   

I can't say 100% but I believe the main frames are identical. The big difference (framewise) between the first gen bikes (FJ vs FZ) is that the Subframe was beefed-up and redesigned on the FJ to handle passenger and luggage weight.

HTH,

Skip

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The FZ subframes as stated ànd swing arms are shorter 

My 76 RD400 has Banshee cages and Boysen reeds, bored carbs, splitter 1~2 intake with single  K&N, Protopipes and stingers, electronic ignition, rev limiter, Fox shocks, massaged forks, bushed swing arm, porting, pistons, etc and it a total hoot when it hits 5500!  Can u say ring ding ding ZING?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The FZ subframes as stated ànd swing arms are shorter 

My 76 RD400 has Banshee cages and Boysen reeds, bored carbs, splitter 1~2 intake with single  K&N, Protopipes and stingers, electronic ignition, rev limiter, Fox shocks, massaged forks, bushed swing arm, porting, pistons, etc and it a total hoot when it hits 5500!  Can u say ring ding ding ZING?

I love the smell of bean oil.....oh the memories!

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!