FJ-09 first 600 miles

Thanks to Solarbronco and Rick "xcsp" from ADV rider for the invitation and encouragement to post here! I'm currently en route to Baja from San Francisco for a 2 week holiday... So far so good!!

The bike has power in every gear and flips through every turn effortlessly... The owners manual says to be in 6th gear by 37 mph... I kept it there for most everything. In the twisties I maybe went down to 5th in a tighter turn. I kept it under 4800 and around 55 mph for the day (it was hard to do!). It has power to pull out of the corners even in the highest gears. I didn't fiddle with the fuel delivery mode setting yet ... I'd have to say the comfort level is pretty awesome- nice upright seating, pretty comfy seat and good wind protection (at least a 60 mph or less) - worth every privatehomeclips enny of the bargain price of 12k out the door... I did nearly 500 miles from Santa Cruz to Long Beach - I was tired but not too uncomfortable or stiff... Nice.
I am about 5'8" with a 31 inch inseam and I can flat foot the bike- I think I have it in the lowest seat position. Also the tank is skinny - so that probably helps too... Here are some pics from leaving Santa Cruz
20141222-201449-72889180.jpg

20141222-201458-72898356.jpg

20141222-201509-72909751.jpg

I took 25 to 33 to Ojai- an incredible road - pretty foggy and damp at the top but coming down was in the mid 60s and incredible... Here's a shot of the road I took from the internet..

20141222-191544-69344049.jpg

The sun was starting to go down and the canyon was incredible. I tried to make it over to 1 and take that to long beach- it seemed much better than 101 and the 405... I got to Oxnard and 1 was closed because of a slide... I turned around and made my way over to 101 and the 405... Oh well..
I dropped of the bike to get the 600 mile service today at the yamaha dealership - service wasn't open today but the took the bike in for service firs thing tomorrow

20141222-192545-69945268.jpg

Im staying in Long Beach with my friends for another night- the bike should be ready from the 600 mile service tomorrow afternoon. Then I'll get up early on Wednsday and aim for El Rosario- we'll see. The manual says I can open it up towards 6800 rpm through 1000 miles... Not prolonged though!

#fj09review

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tripletrouble
Very nice post and photos. Glad you enjoy the ride and power of the bike. What tyres came stock on yours? Stay safe, and warm!

My company is based out of the San Fran area...if they'd give me a raise I'd move out there in a heartbeat! That view is gorgeous, and I probably won't be able to ride again until March at the earliest. Thanks so much for documenting! It's great to see another female rider having a great time on the bike that I've been following since August.

My company is based out of the San Fran area...if they'd give me a raise I'd move out there in a heartbeat! That view is gorgeous, and I probably won't be able to ride again until March at the earliest. Thanks so much for documenting! It's great to see another female rider having a great time on the bike that I've been following since August.
Hi winifredbarkle- so cool to find that you're a woman rider! Very cool! I didnt put that together the first time around. I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that the tank is skinny-so that might help with the seating/getting your footing- post a picture of your bike when you get it! Cheers! Cary

Guest tripletrouble
Very nice post and photos. Glad you enjoy the ride and power of the bike. What tyres came stock on yours? Stay safe, and warm!
Hi tripletrouble thanks! Mine came stock with Dunlops D222 - they feel great. 
Outstanding. Glad to hear they equipped the bike from the factory with good tires. Also love all the smiles and thumbs-up's in your photos. You're clearly pleased with your purchase! 

Thanks to Solarbronco and Rick "xcsp" from ADV rider for the invitation and encouragement to post here! I'm currently en route to Baja from San Francisco for a 2 week holiday... So far so good!! 
The bike has power in every gear and flips through every turn effortlessly... The owners manual says to be in 6th gear by 37 mph... I kept it there for most everything. In the twisties I maybe went down to 5th in a tighter turn. I kept it under 4800 and around 55 mph for the day (it was hard to do!). It has power to pull out of the corners even in the highest gears. I didn't fiddle with the fuel delivery mode setting yet ... I'd have to say the comfort level is pretty awesome- nice upright seating, pretty comfy seat and good wind protection (at least a 60 mph or less) - worth every privatehomeclips enny of the bargain price of 12k out the door... I did nearly 500 miles from Santa Cruz to Long Beach - I was tired but not too uncomfortable or stiff... Nice.
I am about 5'8" with a 31 inch inseam and I can flat foot the bike- I think I have it in the lowest seat position. Also the tank is skinny - so that probably helps too... Here are some pics from leaving Santa Cruz
20141222-201449-72889180.jpg

20141222-201458-72898356.jpg

20141222-201509-72909751.jpg

I took 25 to 33 to Ojai- an incredible road - pretty foggy and damp at the top but coming down was in the mid 60s and incredible... Here's a shot of the road I took from the internet..

20141222-191544-69344049.jpg

The sun was starting to go down and the canyon was incredible. I tried to make it over to 1 and take that to long beach- it seemed much better than 101 and the 405... I got to Oxnard and 1 was closed because of a slide... I turned around and made my way over to 101 and the 405... Oh well..
I dropped of the bike to get the 600 mile service today at the yamaha dealership - service wasn't open today but the took the bike in for service firs thing tomorrow

20141222-192545-69945268.jpg

Im staying in Long Beach with my friends for another night- the bike should be ready from the 600 mile service tomorrow afternoon. Then I'll get up early on Wednsday and aim for El Rosario- we'll see. The manual says I can open it up towards 6800 rpm through 1000 miles... Not prolonged though!

Privatehomeclips penny? What is that, dare I ask?

Great ride report, and looking forward to your coming days report.
Just a quick note regarding break-in. Three key points
1. Do not put an excessive load on the engine for the first 1000 miles.
2. No prolong full-throttle operation or operation that may cause overheating.
3. No prolong operation above 5600 rpm, and 6800 from 600-1000 miles.
Re item 1: Note the word excessive. Load the bike with 395 lbs, and then open it up doing full throttle acceleration to 120 mph many times may cause excessive conditions.
Re item 2: Prolong full-throttle operation may occur at a racetrack, but most likely never on the street. Overheating will be above 225 degrees. You will never do or see that in normal riding.
Re item 3: No prolong operation at any rpm. It doesn't say you can't operate the motorcycle above 5800 or even 6800. You can operate the motorcycle above these rpms but just not prolong operation.
Conclusions:
1. Operate the motorcycle, as you would normally do so. Most likely you will never even come close to overloading that new engine, unless you weight 350 lbs and accelerate to the max all the time and all day long.
2. Operate the motorcycle, as you would normally do so. Most likely you will not operate it at full throttle ever, and you will never come close to overheating the engine.
3. Operate the motorcycle as you would normally do so, but keep an eye on the rpms to make sure you vary them so you don't ride all day at 4,500 or above 5600 all day or 6800 all day. You can still accelerate quickly to 70 mph to get on the freeway. Riding in 6th gear at 4,000 rpm all day long will hurt your engine more than if you run it up to red line now and then. Even running in third gear at freeway speed for 10-15 miles won't hurt and will help the engine because you need to vary the rpms in the first 1000 miles.
You will find that this engine will operate at 9-10,000 rpm in 3rd or 4th gear smoother than at 4000 in 6th gear. As I discovered on my FZ-09 after a few passes and ten miles later observing I was riding at 10,000 rpms, because it was so smooth.
Last but not least. Those shifting speeds are wacko. Try this on break in: 1st-10-15, 2nd-20, 3rd-30, 4th-40, 5th-50, and 6th-60 because they are easy to remember. And every once in awhile do 1st-25, 2nd-45, 3rd-65, 4th-80, 5th-90, etc. This bike will do 140 mph in 5th gear if it wasn't limited, 90 is nothing of a challenge or excessive in terms of loading down the engine.

I hope this opens up a little perspective regarding the break-in and you start having move fun on that wonderful bike you are riding. I wish I were there with you, as I am totally jealous

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Great reply to Puddles on new bike riding and running in. It was spot on.
Was a great early review. I'm shorter than you Puddles at 5'6" with a 30" inseam but if I need to I will fit a lowering link and pull forks up in the triples.
I'm patiently waiting for the delivery of these bikes here in Melbourne Australia. That will not be till Feb/March 2015 we've been told.
I've been riding for 43 years and currently have '09 and 2012 Vmax's and  2013 Super Tenere (lowered). Spending the kids inheritance while I can still ride.
I've only sat on the FJ-09 (we will be calling it the European name...MT-09 Tracer) at a recent Motorcycle Show in our city and it feels very nice. I've ridden a friends MT-09 and instantly fell in love with that incredible engine but prefer a more tour oriented version like the FJ-09.
I believe one very big mistake from Yamaha is the omission of factory fitted cruise control. Pretty easy for the factories to do these days with electronics and very low cost to them.

Keep your reports coming in Puddles.

Sam

"Nothing great, but $10,440 + title, license, and taxes. $11,558 out the door. Being the first one sold, I didn't try to work them over. Had another quote which was just $50 more. As typically they wanted to add a Dealer prep and shipping and another one I can't remember what they called it that would have added 565 at one and 734 at the other."

"They let me put on my credit card which I will get a 1% credit $116 on my next handgun."

I got the first one in Knoxville, TN so I paid sticker plus fee's. Got it out the door for $12,800 and that included side cases plus installation labor. I also opted for the 48 month YES warranty.

Archived