Adventure/Touring Jacket with a Little More Length

Jayzonk

11 hours ago, rustyshackles said:

Aerostich Darien 

E9EC5CD4-9232-4BCD-81F5-15FF640C4C1F.jpeg

+1 This. And since every Aerostitch jacket is custom made, you can easily ask them to lengthen it as much as you want. My Darien is on the way and I had them add snap button at the bottom to prevent velcro opening and add 1.5" below the elbow as I have longer arms than the standard human who is 6'2". You pay more, but not much more than other top end jackets, and can get exactly what you want. Even more, I ordered what I thought would be the best fit, and when I got it and it wasn't, they then sent me another jacket of another size just to verify which size is closer, then sent me free shipping to send them both back after they ship me my 3rd and final jacket. 

That, my friends, is customer service to the extreme. The Darien is incredibly rugged, named after the Darien Gap in Panama. 

Yes, I might try an Aerostich.  Not really sure what the difference is between the Roadcrafter and the Darien, other than the ability to zip the pants to the jacket on the roadcrafter.  

I have some Aerostich pants that are 15 years old and still in excellent shape.  They are so easy to get on and off that i go to them frequently.  I ordered them a bit on the big side, so the knee pads sit a bit low when standing.   Because of the sizing,  I wouldn't say they are the sexiest things going.  But then again, I really haven't had any safety gear that looks "great" because,  after all, it IS safety gear, and the pads and textiles don't really make them amenable to fashion.  So might as go Aerostich and get the quality, customization, all at a fair fair price.  

On 3/23/2021 at 7:07 PM, Jayzonk said:

Yes, I might try an Aerostich.  Not really sure what the difference is between the Roadcrafter and the Darien, other than the ability to zip the pants to the jacket on the roadcrafter.  

I have some Aerostich pants that are 15 years old and still in excellent shape.  They are so easy to get on and off that i go to them frequently.  I ordered them a bit on the big side, so the knee pads sit a bit low when standing.   Because of the sizing,  I wouldn't say they are the sexiest things going.  But then again, I really haven't had any safety gear that looks "great" because,  after all, it IS safety gear, and the pads and textiles don't really make them amenable to fashion.  So might as go Aerostich and get the quality, customization, all at a fair fair price.  

From 

Aerostich, the place to find motorcycle jackets, suits, helmets, boots...

"The Roadcrafter provides more double layers of fabric over a larger area than the Darien. These include the elbow/shoulder/knee areas of ballistics nylon and additional Roadcrafter pockets. On the other hand, the Darien is lighter and cooler to wear. Crash events most commonly occur between 30 and 70 mph. Within this range the Darien, DarienLight and Roadcrafter all provide useful abrasion protection. All three provide more than jeans and windbreaker jackets. Riders on powerful sport bikes will prefer the closer fit and greater protection a Roadcrafter suit offers. Roadcrafters are available in short, regular, and long, and Dariens are all regulars, so if you are extra short or tall, go with the Roadcrafter. Getting a good fit is more important than the functional differences."

Own a Roadcrafter one piece and Motoport two piece. Both ugly as sin but don't buy them for looks. Mainly bought them for abrasion resistance, custom fit, durability, factory backed alterations and repairs,  machine washable. In younger years could never picture spending on gear but they've both ended up less expensive than south Asian low priced gear that would have been replaced multiple times. Heck the Stich was a steal on ebay used and stained. Sent it to the factory for armor updates and alterations and still less than half price of new. 

48 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Aerostich is denier and cordura construction, right?   Motoport is using kevlar, so I am considering going that direction. 

Denier is the thread count of the material. Cordura is a high thread count poly weave.

Some of their products use cordura, some use cotton.

• Thumbsup 1

22 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Denier is the thread count of the material. Cordura is a high thread count poly weave.

Some of their products use cordura, some use cotton.

Thanks!  I'm wondering about the heat effects on Cordura.  Apparently this is the selling feature for kevlar - it does not burn at low temperatures, so it will not melt and fuse with human skin in the event of a slide on pavement.  Melting point is 500 degrees.  I pulled this from the web: 

500 °C

Nomex melts and simultaneously decomposes at approximately 350 °C (660 °F); the melting point of Kevlar is above 500 °C (930 °F). The higher melting point of Kevlar, as well as its greater stiffness and tensile strength, partly results from the regular para-orientation of its molecules.

The melting point of Cordura is lower: 
254˚C

The INVISTA nylon 6.6 fibre used in CORDURA® fabrics has a melting point of 254˚C (commodity nylon 6 has a melt temperature of 219˚C).

I am not sure what temperatures to expect when sliding, and I'm sure that it depends on the speed you were travelling at and the specific coeficient of friction of the material on your jacket.  If it's possible to exceed 254 degrees celsius, it makes sense to go with kevlar.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jayzonk said:

If it's possible to exceed 254 degrees celsius, it makes sense to go with kevlar. 

Aerostich says to wear pants under AD1 pants because of the burn risk. I'd guess they have a similar warning for other unlined suits. I've never seen the same warning for lined Roadcrafter Classic suits or other mfrs. My other nylon jackets and even my leathers have at least a mesh liner under the outer layer. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:52 PM, 1moreroad said:

Aerostich says to wear pants under AD1 pants because of the burn risk. I'd guess they have a similar warning for other unlined suits. I've never seen the same warning for lined Roadcrafter Classic suits or other mfrs. My other nylon jackets and even my leathers have at least a mesh liner under the outer layer. 

Got news for ya.......if your going down is that bad, no pair of jeans or other pants underneath are gonna matter. ;)

25 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Got news for ya.......if your going down is that bad, no pair of jeans or other pants underneath are gonna matter. ;)

Focusing on the positive....focusing on the positive....😬

I'm totally happy with my TourMaster Rincon jacket.  Too bad they don't make it anymore. 😁

RR-logo-perfect-1.png

Review and test of the Tour Master Rincon Jacket from Rider...

Anyway...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-riding-gear?view_all=true&page=1&limit=96&facets[]=226&facets[]=234&facets[]=723&is_new=false&is_sale=false&is_made_in_usa=false&is_holiday=false&is_blemished=false&ships_two_day=false&sort=price_asc&fit=

Edited by CJ3cyl