Well you are only as old as you feel

roy826

Congrats on getting the new bike.  I love sport bikes and like you owned a few and used to do track days.  The new liter bikes are amazing machines.  The power they make is ridiculous!!!  There is a big part of me at 59 years old that still wants one.  For me, those days are over because I have no self control on those things.

I know you are going to have too much fun with that bike.  It's really nice looking as well.

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

That is a beautiful bike! It would ruin my ideas of becoming a mid-pack rider instead of an up front rider. All that aside, have fun on that thing!!!!!

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Nice looking bike! There is a very good reason I bought myself the Tracer 900 and not the brutish MT-10 that I was tempting me... That bike just wanted to go! I am pretty sure I would have ended up dead or in jail on the MT-10 😅

• Thumbsup 3

7 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

For me, those days are over because I have no self control on those things.

This. A million times, this. I would lose my license. I normally have excellent discipline - all that goes out the window the moment I swing a leg over a hot liter+ sportbike. 😕

True story:  in 2005, I bought an arterial blood-red Yamaha YZF-R1, took it out of the crate, assembled it, PDI'd it, and got on the road.  Only two miles later - two miles! 🙄 - there I was, on the side of the road, having Officer Friendly saying "press hard - four copies".

Tried to keep the bike - but citations started to pile up. Traded it in less that two years later.  😥

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good on you, able to fold yourself onto that at 58.  I got my CBR1100XX out spring of 2008 and couldn't take the neck pain for half an hour. It's bars were way higher than that Suzuki. 

It's been "standard" seating for me since.  Now it's my butt that hurts in 2 to 4 hours.

I miss that XX though. 150 HP is addicting.

20200408_112723.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Congrats! Honestly, if you can afford it, I see having a machine like that in the garage is just like a piece of art. Ride it once in a rare while, and park it. It's a piece of art. I'm not a suzuki guy, but more Kawasaki. I really think I'll get a green ZX-14 one day and just treat it like a sculpture. Ride it often enough to keep it working, but really, what a machine. My 900 is purely utilitarian. It's the least attractive bike I've ever owned. Purely functional. So the part of me that is artistic looks longingly at beautiful bikes, like the new Aprilia 660. Why not have art in our garages? 

• Thumbsup 3

5 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Good on you, able to fold yourself onto that at 58.  I got my CBR1100XX out spring of 2008 and couldn't take the neck pain for half an hour. It's bars were way higher than that Suzuki. 

It's been "standard" seating for me since.  Now it's my butt that hurts in 2 to 4 hours.

I miss that XX though. 150 HP is addicting.

20200408_112723.jpg

Yes it is nice to come out of the corners and blip the throttle and be doing 150 mph. Getting into my 60s now. I have to chill. I keep telling myself you have to chill. Got rid of the ZX11 Ninja and my 2000 ZRX1100 to get my 2015 FJ-09. I have friends of mine riding a few weeks ago. This kind of stuff reminds me to CHILL! 

IMG_3160.thumb.JPG.40c7847be8f6504c265955f01f3ab9e8.JPGhttps://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_7c2b19a2-7f44-11eb-a4ab-8fd301744d62.html

MUST....CONTROL......RIGHT.......WRIST!!!!!!!!!

Notice the ZX11 has handle bars, Creature comforts.

IMG_3178.JPG

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 3

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

Man, that is a weapon.  I sure wish I could fit on a sport bike.  Hips and knees aren't flexible enough.  If I could though, I'd be right there alongside you.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

6 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Congrats! Honestly, if you can afford it, I see having a machine like that in the garage is just like a piece of art. Ride it once in a rare while, and park it. It's a piece of art. I'm not a suzuki guy, but more Kawasaki. I really think I'll get a green ZX-14 one day and just treat it like a sculpture. Ride it often enough to keep it working, but really, what a machine. My 900 is purely utilitarian. It's the least attractive bike I've ever owned. Purely functional. So the part of me that is artistic looks longingly at beautiful bikes, like the new Aprilia 660. Why not have art in our garages? 

I agree with everything but the Kawasaki part. Lol had a concours 14 once that poured oil out of the valve cover. Never again will I buy a Kawasaki. 

Paid cash for the bike, worth every penny! Insurance is unreal on it full coverage even at my age and stellar driving record home owner all that BS that they spew to make their part worth it, 

• Haha 2

Shame on me I left out the parts that I road raced with wera at the expert level in A and C classes for 17 years. Up until 2017 so I know how these things work or I’m suppose to know by now lol 

This ones a whole new animal with the electronics aided but my last 600 I did have launch control which I ended up hating come race time and never used it after the two failed starts. 

I’ll be fine on it nothing on my bucket list needs checking off by buying this bike I’ve already lived that life at it’s fullest and have the awards on the wall to prove it. I just wanted this bike from the time I laid eyes on it to be honest. It’s a lot of bike and stock makes bikes I spent loads of money on to race seem well not up to this bike stock. Bikes have come along way in a few short years and they continued to leap forward with the electronics on them. My 2011 gS1K had no sides and 170 RWHP off a dyno on pump gas. It was fast with me on it at buck 40. This ones down right lethal stock. 

Seems Uncle Sam clamping down on full exhaust systems to sell. Kinda reminds me of the diesel truck delete thing which I did delete my GMC last year and went through hell getting the exhaust out of Canada. All my wants of a full exhaust are 2-3 weeks wait time right now. 

Edited by roy826