SW-Motech skidplate fitment with akrapovic exhaust? 900 GT

HigHTauR

• Premium Member

I've had that skid plate on my 15 FJ and contacted a couple of exhaust manufacturers but not Akro and both didn't know; and doubt Akro would.

I also posted up here too asking if anyone had experience with the skid plate and any exhaust and did not receive one response...

They don't. I already wrote to akra and got the same answer as you, and also from SW-motech.

It looks like the pipes runs a little further out, then the stock pipes, but maybe the plate can be bend a bit forward, if it's possible to reach the attachment points..

Ahh okay, then perhaps no one in here knows or fell like writing a post..

Thanks for the reply.

• Premium Member

@HigHTauR

Contact these people. 

Protective Aluminum Skid Plate lower engine sump guard - YAMAHA FJ-09 2015-2019 – SRC MOTO

I sent them an email "

Any idea if the Skid plate for the FJ-09 will fit with any other exhaust? Such as a yoshimura

Thank you in advance.

This was their answer. 

"We’re not sure about clearance.  

Best way is to give it a try.  If it doesn’t fit, you can return it for a full refund.   And we’d be happy to offer a 10% discount for getting an answer to this situation so we can add it to the product description. "

If you are feeling adventurous.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

I didn't even look at where you were. Sorry. Good luck. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, HigHTauR said:

Hi.

Maybe someone in here knows, if this skidplate will fit under this exhaust system?

Thanks in advance 🙂

The Akrapovic exhaust is one of the few that sticks out a fair bit from the motor, the majority of headers hug close to the motor.

Akrapovic_Yamaha_MT-09_TRACER_FJ-09_Exhaust_Scarico.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

12 minutes ago, betoney said:

The Akrapovic exhaust is one of the few that sticks out a fair bit from the motor, the majority of headers hug close to the motor.

Akrapovic_Yamaha_MT-09_TRACER_FJ-09_Exhaust_Scarico.jpg

Yes, they do and thats also my biggest concern. But as far as I can tell, the sw motech is the best shot and the one I might be able to bend, so it will fit around the headers..

12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Mabe this will help You in your decision making process. Stock header clearance 

20210325_160312.jpg

20210325_160253.jpg

It does help and it looks like it might be worth a try. I will post the result if and when I give it a go.

Thanks

@HigHTauR, the plate material is relatively easy to bend. I had to reshape mine after hitting a kerb and found it to be malleable. You should be able to either increase the angle to the base, or remove the top bend that comes back towards the headers. Failing that, you can redrill the mounting holes in the plate and move the entire assembly forward.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, BBB said:

@HigHTauR, the plate material is relatively easy to bend. I had to reshape mine after hitting a kerb and found it to be malleable. You should be able to either increase the angle to the base, or remove the top bend that comes back towards the headers. Failing that, you can redrill the mounting holes in the plate and move the entire assembly forward.

And if that STILL doesn't work... a Dremel tool can help make ANYTHING fit.  👍

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, BBB said:

IMO the aluminum on an authentic SW plate is quite stiff and was hard to drill when I made a hole under the drain plug on my 15...

And yes it worked out great with the flush head magnetic plug and trimmed oil pan fin.  Makes changing the oil a snap.

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

IMO the aluminum on an authentic SW plate is quite stiff...

Mine’s the authentic version, but a lump hammer cures all. 🔨🔨

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)