Givi TN2139 engine guards installed

Salish900

Tonight I installed my Givi TN2139 engine guards and they were an easy and perfect fit, once @betoney helped my idiot self by pointing out the bolt you remove on the left side goes all the way through and you have to remove the nut on the right side to pull out the bolt on the left side! I also have the Givi RP2139 skid plate installed, and fortunately they play together nicely. With the skid plate installed, you do not need to use the spacers that would normally go in that spot, which is the forward most bolt location. 

Now I'm feeling pretty solid on by protection farkles. I've got axle sliders on the front, skid plate, engine guards, radiator screen. I can now go on long trips and not worry so much about a rock through the radiator, rock through the oil filter, or dropping the bike in a grocery parking lot in bumblecrap nowhere and cracking my engine case open. 

IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

These are IMHO the best bars for the Tracer.  Strongest protection that covers the lower engine and upper tank fairings, while also providing sufficient spacing that you won't break indicators if you drop the bike.  Most of the other options are missing one element or another.  

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

These are IMHO the best bars for the Tracer.  Strongest protection that covers the lower engine and upper tank fairings, while also providing sufficient spacing that you won't break indicators if you drop the bike.  Most of the other options are missing one element or another.  

That was my assessment. I like how they cover what I want covered, yet are not massive and ugly. And the price is right, so cheap compared to more exotic offerings. They have three attachment points, and I don't doubt that if I drop the bike in the garage or low side at less than highway speeds, the engine will be fine, along with most of the plastic. 

58 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

That was my assessment. I like how they cover what I want covered, yet are not massive and ugly. And the price is right, so cheap compared to more exotic offerings. They have three attachment points, and I don't doubt that if I drop the bike in the garage or low side at less than highway speeds, the engine will be fine, along with most of the plastic. 

Mine held up well to getting hit by the jeep one one side and hitting the ground on the other.  Not a high speed accident of course, but having had it lying on it's side now and really seeing how the guards protect the bike in practice has been really informative.  They definitely paid for themselves for me. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Great until it's time to adjust the valves and you need to get to the left case cover crank bolt plug. But there's a trick for that without taking the guards off; though you have to make it worth my while to reveal it.

They're also a great mount for highway pegs and driving lights.

I also have front axle sliders as well as swing arm lift stand spools / sliders.

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

though you have to make it worth my while to reveal it.

Uh, is it not enough for us to be so darn civil and appreciative around here anymore🤪 In my experience, doing valves is a big enough deal that I wouldn't care too awful much if I had to remove one side or the other. It's just three bolts. But sure, if there is some trick for doing valves with them on, I'm all eyes! What if we promise not to ever bring up or comment on an oil thread again?

Yeah, frankly, it only took me about 5 minutes to install the guards, so I'll just remove the one side before digging into valves.  I'm sure you can work around them, but why bother?  3 bolts is just three bolts.  Be a good time to clean them up and spray them down with some bed liner.

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Great until it's time to adjust the valves and you need to get to the left case cover crank bolt plug. But there's a trick for that without taking the guards off; though you have to make it worth my while to reveal it.

I should be due for my 3rd valve check at the end of the year... this info.could come in handy.

image.thumb.png.1b9b64461bfacacd224f599ee0c9d92b.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Your case guards are not the gv model I have or referenced, so not sure if it will work but a 14 mm hex ball with the end ground flat but leaving enough flats to engage works for me. Again, I am just not sure you have the clearance with your case guards for it to 20210327_173630.thumb.jpg.c6c53936541afc0bd050e65b94b8f1ed.jpgwork.

20210327_173648.jpg

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Your case guards are not the gv model I have or referenced, so not sure if it will work but a 14 mm hex ball with the end ground flat but leaving enough flats to engage works for me. Again, I am just not sure you have the clearance with your case guards for it to work.

OK, thanks. 👍 I might just need to remove the left side guard when the time comes then. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***