Seat and Suspension

I know that some here don't think the Yamaha Comfort seats are worth the money, but if you find an opened box set and can buy it for a song, I think it's worth a shot to try. Just after 500 miles on the Tracer, Warchild-wife has indicated that the stock seats aren't cutting the mustard, and she also want me to do something with the suspension - her exact words: "Fix it", and for emphasis, she gave me "The Look"... 😲

AnnieBDay.thumb.jpg.15352d118c09cb8e199b6c76c9d98193.jpg

She has many, many, many thousands of miles as a pillion - mostly on FJRs. She knows full well that the Tracer's factory setup isn't doing the job when we are both onboard and the bike is loaded with gear. So while I'm at least making a go of it with the Comfort seats, I told her it's the suspension that we need to drop the Big Coins into in order to get properly sorted. She is aware. Believe me. 🙄

So we'll start with the Comfort seats, and now I await my suspension doctor, currently researching the matter, to tell us what some of  our options are for suspension. Been down this road before - I know I am looking at a new shock in the back and new cartridges up front, and a minimum. We've yet to try out the new seats - they look pretty nice:

seat4.thumb.jpg.7fd586057bd4fdbe303570fdeaccc764.jpg

Will update this thread when the suspension fun starts.  👍

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

Haha love that look!  You need to act now!  I actually found the standard seat to be almost as good as the comfort seat on my BMW F800GT.  I've contemplated a comfort seat but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.  You are lucky, my wife told me emphatically she doesn't ride on the bike and she doesn't camp so I have to go solo!  She used to ride on a scooter with me in Italy until I dodged a bus on my side of the road and would up clipping the right bar on a rock wall which resulted in a shattered kneecap for me - she was fine except for a couple of small scrapes and bruises.  

Keep us updated on what you do with the suspension, I'm still stock with adjustments and it works well on smooth pavement and OK on bumps.

I have the comfort seat, driver only, and found it to be a marked improvement in my comfort over longer rides. It seems not to slope me towards the tank as much as the stock seat, and was a reasonable price thru my local dealer. I too am looking at upgrading suspension. Up front  I think firmer springs and quality oil will be  enough, but wondering which shock option will be the best balance of performance and price. Looking at wilbers, ohlins, nitron and k tech. Prob need remote preload and think adjustable rebound control should be enough for my needs. Anyone with experience with any of those options, feel free to offer opinion.

I found the Comfort seats appears to sit me up much higher than anticipated, to the point that I decided to relocate the seat from the 'high' to 'low' position, and still not sacrifice any knee room in the process.

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, Basket said:

wondering which shock option will be the best balance of performance and price. Looking at wilbers, ohlins, nitron and k tech. Prob need remote preload and think adjustable rebound control should be enough for my needs. Anyone with experience with any of those options, feel free to offer opinion.

ANY brand shock is only as good as it is set up internally, some off-the-shelf models seem to be more track focused vs street or touring, that is why -for me- adjustable compression damping is essential, I can firm it up a little for canyon carving or ease up a little for highway touring comfort. 

When considering a remote preload adjuster, do you ride with a passenger frequently?  the optional adjuster will increase the price about $300.  If you only occasionally have a passenger it might be much more economical to just increase preload with the included spanner tool. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I know when I eventually replace my rear shock, it'll be for one without the remote adjuster.  They're cool, but I set my preload once and pretty much never touch it again.  Certainly not something I'm interested in paying a 300$ premium for.  

The spanners aren't hard to use.

• Thumbsup 1

12 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

The spanners aren't hard to use.

I've been meaning to post this. The spanners that came with my 19 for the rear preload adjustment are literally useless. From either side, you can't get it on the cogs and even if you do, it turns so little that you achieve nothing. There is so little space, and hoses and stuff are in the way. I've taken to using a long blade screw driver and just whacking on the cogs to get it to move. So hearing you say your spanner isn't hard to use means you either have some approach I haven't figured out or your year of bike is different. Fortunately, I don't change it much, and for my size and weight have it pretty much maxed out, whether pillion or not. 

I do ride with a passenger and luggage a fair bit of the time, and when I do ease of adjustment is a priority.  If the spanner wrench works efficiently then I too would prefer not to spend the extra money, 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Salish900 said:

I've been meaning to post this. The spanners that came with my 19 for the rear preload adjustment are literally useless. From either side, you can't get it on the cogs and even if you do, it turns so little that you achieve nothing.

17 minutes ago, Basket said:

I do ride with a passenger and luggage a fair bit of the time, and when I do ease of adjustment is a priority.  If the spanner wrench works efficiently then I too would prefer not to spend the extra money, 

It is much easier on an aftermarket shock.  I have a Penske and their spanner fits into any of those holes on the bottom collar, making it almost effortless.

14+ FZ-09 Penske 8983 'Double Clicker' | Stoltec Moto

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

A custom seat was one of the first mods I made to my FJ-09. I had Mr. Ed's build me a seat, mainly because the shop is less than a mile from my house. It's still by far the best mod I've done.

If you find the Comfort seat isn't good enough, I'd re-sell it and have custom seats made using the stock pans.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, betoney said:

It is much easier on an aftermarket shock.  I have a Penske and their spanner fits into any of those holes on the bottom collar, making it almost effortless.

14+ FZ-09 Penske 8983 'Double Clicker' | Stoltec Moto

That’s one sexy unit 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

That’s one sexy unit 

Penske 8983 from Traxxion Dynamics, its a superb performing shock. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

49 minutes ago, betoney said:

Penske 8983 from Traxxion Dynamics, its a superb performing shock. 👍

Yeah, I'd like one of those just to look at! I keep wanting to upgrade my rear shock since I'm 200lbs and with gear and cases on trips easily top 250. Throw on the old wife, and though she's a sprite, and we are at 350. But then I see the price, and my hand pulls back from my wallet in a convulsive spasm of shock...

• Thumbsup 2

Once you install the 8983 and get some miles on it the price will be soon forgotten. Besides when you sell the bike you put the stock shock back on (not a hard job) and sell the 8983 for at  least 1/2 of what you paid for it.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Yeah, I'd like one of those just to look at! I keep wanting to upgrade my rear shock since I'm 200lbs and with gear and cases on trips easily top 250. Throw on the old wife, and though she's a sprite, and we are at 350. But then I see the price, and my hand pulls back from my wallet in a convulsive spasm of shock...

I am just the opposite, if there is any bike part that I have never regretted spending money on, its suspension.  

• Thumbsup 3