GPS connection

Keropi76

Looking for some insight. I've installed my garmin GPS same as I did on my previous bike, connecting the power to the rear light, not the brake light but the regular driving light the one that is always on. 

My issue now is that after a little while the GPS shuts off saying that the power was turned off like if I had turned off the bike with the key. It does not happen automatically, it usually starts after about 15-20 min of riding.  The GPS never ends up completely turning off there's a 15 sec delay and power either comes back before the timer runs out or if it does turn off it turns back on within a few seconds.

I checked my connections to the positive and negative readjusted the power cable on the bracket to make sure it was correctly installed, etc. My only thoughts at this point is that the original garmin power cable is bad but i need some insight before ordering a new one. It's not super expensive but I don't want to spend 70$ if I don't have too 😜🍺🍺🍺

Thanks

Edited by Keropi76

• Supporting Member

Hm, my Zumo's moto mount came with a battery lead with generous length, so I just used that.  Not sure what's happening with the brake light.  Maybe the amperage is too low?  LED's don't draw much, so maybe that circuit just can't handle it?  I've had similar experiences with gadgets that draw more juice than available.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Keropi76 said:

That was one of my thoughts but the previous bike was a 2016 with leds as well. That's why I kind of pushed that theory aside. Guess I'll explore it again. 

Thanks

After buying this cable and hard wiring it to the auxiliary switched power plugs behind the screen, I have never lost power on my GPS.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, Keropi76 said:

Looking for some insight. I've installed my garmin GPS same as I did on my previous bike, connecting the power to the rear light, not the brake light but the regular driving light the one that is always on. 

My issue now is that after a little while the GPS shuts off saying that the power was turned off like if I had turned off the bike with the key. It does not happen automatically, it usually starts after about 15-20 min of riding.  The GPS never ends up completely turning off there's a 15 sec delay and power either comes back before the timer runs out or if it does turn off it turns back on within a few seconds.

I checked my connections to the positive and negative readjusted the power cable on the bracket to make sure it was correctly installed, etc. My only thoughts at this point is that the original garmin power cable is bad but i need some insight before ordering a new one. It's not super expensive but I don't want to spend 70$ if I don't have too 😜🍺🍺🍺

Thanks

Might not be of help for you, but what's the weather been like up there lately?....

Same happened to the Garmin in my truck (parked outdoors) during a bout of unusually cold weather this winter.   Did the same thing the previous winter, too.  Thought I had a bad power cable, or that the unit was failing somehow.  Took me a while to realize it was the extreme cold causing the issue.  Once warmed up, no problem. 

Even though my bike lives in the garage (unheated), and is always on a battery tender, I noticed a similar issue with its Garmin when outside temps reached ~ 10F or less.  Brought the Garmin inside to warm up for a couple hours, tried it again...no issue.  

My takeaway is these Garmins don't like extreme weather conditions.  The one on my bike shut down a couple times on super hot days while stopping for gas.  Presumably, rising engine heat while stopped was enough to send the unit into thermal overload shutdown?  Good luck.