2021 Tracer GT

3 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

On the down-side, the '21 is significantly more expensive, it's a new model so likely some bugs to work out and some of the visuals are controversial such as the asymmetric lights and the Wall-E two-eyed dash.

Wait, now.... the Gen II also has asymmetrical lights -maybe the Gen I also? 

On my 2020, the left headlamp is low-beam, right headlamp is high-beam.

4 hours ago, Warchild said:

Wait, now.... the Gen II also has asymmetrical lights -maybe the Gen I also?

Oh? Ok. I didn't realise. Sorry 'bout that. You can tell I'm still waiting to acquire my first Tracer :-)

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Warchild said:

We should also keep in mind that the Gen III engine is new, and larger - 890cc's compared to the Gen II's 847cc's.

That's just extra air inside the crankcase. It shouldn't weigh more! 😋 Supposedly weight carrying capacity increase, too. A stronger subframe could add weight. 

That may be so, but I doubt that Mr Yamaha is lying about these sort of details, consumer protection laws and all that. 

Bwahahahaha. Oh wait, you live in Australia so that might be true. 

3 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Bwahahahaha. Oh wait, you live in Australia so that might be true. 

Yeah, something easily verifiable and touted to the public is certainly vulnerable to sanction here. That would at least mean publishing a correction and possibly a fine.

Funny thing is, my brother works in marketing and he says that it's most often their competitors who file complaints if products are not exactly as advertised. So you can bet that Honda, Suzuki and others are having a close look at the spec sheets and other marketing material published here.

Of course when it comes to unverifiable hyperbolebullshit, our marketers are right up there with the rest of the planet.

15 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

The fuel capacity has marginally increased from 4.8gal to 5.0gal (or 0.75 litres) for the 2021, so less than a 1kg wet weight increase, but in conjunction with a claimed 4% improved fuel consumption it should help on the "tourer" part of a sports tourer a fraction.

I'm of the opposite thinking. They seem to have shifted slightly more towards the tourer front which suits me: a bit more range, a longer swing-arm and torque coming in at lower revs due to a longer stroke so I'm hoping the reputed "buzz" at highway speeds is a thing of the past, or at least has moved to highway++ speeds.

On the down-side, the '21 is significantly more expensive, it's a new model so likely some bugs to work out and some of the visuals are controversial such as the asymmetric lights and the Wall-E two-eyed dash.

As for E-doodahs, even the 2020 model is well into that. Let's face it, all modern machinery is littered with little brain-boxes all over the place.

As others have noted, dealers are not yet discounting their 2020 stock, so it's not as if you get a price advantage going with the older models. At least not yet. Maybe that'll change once the 2021s hit the showroom floors?

Hold up, the 21 has a longer swingarm than the 19/20?  Really?  The 19/20 itself has 2" longer swingarm than the FJ.  That makes a *huge* gulf between an FJ and the Tracer 9.

I think the torque at lower revs is a very good thing.  It's actually why I went up a couple teeth on my rear sprocket; stock, the CP3 has somewhat of a flat feeling at 4k, and that's right where you end up when riding at "in town" speeds.  

I prefer the looks of the current Tracer 900, but honestly it's not a bike I own because of it's appearance - there's lots of sexier bikes out there.  I'd actually consider the 9 if the new CP3 is actually significantly better. 

• Thumbsup 1

51 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Hold up, the 21 has a longer swingarm than the 19/20?  Really?

It's hard to know how much longer as the official blurb only says "The Tracer 9 GT features a new, longer swingarm that is now located inside of the frame."

Note that the overall wheel-base remains unchanged.

Along with the various other geometry changes, I think this is going to feel quite different from the earlier models, both in ride feel and rider position. It'll be very interesting to hear what folk like yourself say if/when you get a chance to ride one.

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

it's not a bike I own because of it's appearance

Yep. there are definitely nicer looking bikes, but that's not going to stop me going after one of these if it suits my riding requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:42 AM, wordsmith said:

This is interesting!   Another review from mcnews.com.au says that the new GT is "a couple of kg lighter", which sounds more like it.   I'll search again for the specific source of the earlier info (hoping it's wrong!) and will add a note to this post later. 

The AMCN article was rather better than the usual spec sheet manufacturer blurb.

If it is in M.C.N the Beano of the Motorcycle world it is bound to be wrong. The worst paper going, all adverts and best buys,  paid by the supplier that wants the best results. Gets all the racing results wrong and misses out the major things. Had it for 30 years , now not had it for 28 years . 

Cheers 

Edgar Jessop.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, edgarjessop12 said:

If it is in M.C.N the Beano of the Motorcycle world it is bound to be wrong. The worst paper going, all adverts and best buys,  paid by the supplier that wants the best results. Gets all the racing results wrong and misses out the major things. Had it for 30 years , now not had it for 28 years . 

Cheers 

Edgar Jessop.

Apart from that, not a bad product (not!).

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.