Did vibration kill my phone camera?

19 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

IMO depends on the mount, don't believe there is a tremendous difference in the focusing mechanisms.  My iPhone 10S developed camera issues after a couple of days mounted on the bars of my BMW F800GT.  After giving it several days rest the problems seemed to go away - self healed I guess.  The phone was being pretty violently shaken.  I went to a Garmin Zumo XT which took the vibration without any problems.  My 2020 Tracer GT has much less vibration but seems like it is a higher frequency.  I use a RAM mount ball on one of the handlebar clamp bolts to mount the Zumo XT.  Zumo XT is not cheap but does a good job and I use it on day trips even without a route as it tells me where and how far gas is.  My iPhone takes photos now without an issue so guess it could be called OK but I did have one instance 6 months ago where it took a "wavy" photo.  I like having my phone available but at the same time worry about it being in a handlebar mount and don't want to risk it being damaged when on a long trip.  Prefer to keep it on my person in a protected place.  

Yeah, that's why I've been thinking more and more of just buying a second hand cheap 1-2 year old phone to use as a Bike Phone.  Tethered to my main phone, it wouldn't incur any other expenses, and I'd set it up with a separate Google account too for added security (if forgotten on the bike/stolen off it, I don't risk losing something that's kind of a lynchpin of personal account security that way).  Pick a waterproof device with wireless charging, and just not worry about it anymore.  

• Thumbsup 1

I have a Garmin Zumo XT which is nice but would also be nice to have a phone for Waze as well.  Noticed an add today for Garmin Montana 750i which is the Garmin 700 plus an inReach Mini combined.  It got me interested but then I thought, one device on y bars, if I go down and can't get to my bike that doesn't help me.  Currently I have an InReach Mini and the Zumo XT and a phone and a SPOT.  Was going to discontinue the SPOT but they had my credit card on auto renew but I do like the added comfort.  SPOT in the top of the tank bag where I can easily send wife "I'm OK" messages and then InReach Mini in jacket pocket so hopefully can get to if if Im separated from the bike.  

So after thinking thru all that I'm back to agreeing with you.  Buy an inexpensive phone and put on the bars but tethered to my phone for data.  Would also be nice for monitoring my tire pressure sensors and controlling my Neutrino Element which I use to control my heated vest and my aux lights.  In Scottsboro Alabama they have an Unclaimed Baggage Store which sells stuff from lost luggage.  They usually have a good selection of used phones so that would be a good place to pick one up.