My Tracer Turn Signal Mods

On 8/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, Wintersdark said:

I ended up wrapping the white pieces in matte black, and just kept the grey otherwise.  I wouldn't really want to swap some pieces, though I'd swap EVERYTHING grey for black - but it'd cost more to mail them than to just paint everything.  

I was going to offer to come to you to swap everything. However, I just saw your location haha

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, MustardTiger said:

I was going to offer to come to you to swap everything. However, I just saw your location haha

Yeah, it's a bit far.  I mean, I'd be into a road trip to do it, but borders are closed and Florida is far.  As direct as possible, that's still gonna be over 40 hours of riding time. 

• 1 year later...

Wow, almost exactly a year later, sorry to resurrect this!!!

My '20 GT is just about where I want it but every time I go out to the garage the giant-ass turn incandescent signal lights just look out of place so I ordered some 12 O'Clock labs signals, flasher relay and signal mounts about an hour ago.

Anything I need to know for install not in here?

Everyone with them still happy?

I planned on doing some OEM Yamaha ones but they have gone way up in price and you'd have $250 into them just for signals. Thought I'd go this route.

• Thumbsup 1

My problem was that the darned bulbous tumors would stick out so far that some times I scratched my car trying to pull the bike out of the garage. I would be more nervous with a protruding signal that is hard set and doesn't have some springy give to it.

I installed the HighTechSpeed "Proton 500 Flushmount". Very bright, very compact. The downside of these is that they are so compact they are not visible from a wide range of front angles. It's not so bad, the folks in front and to my right can't see the left turn signal, but the ones in front and to the left can. None-the-less, I have been procrastinating installing additional signals on the hand guards for the last 2 years or so.

While I was at it, I also did HighTechSpeed "X-Arc" for the rear signals. Bright and compact, looks good.

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Recently added some Kiwav mirrors with running lights and turn signals to the Niken, worth a look.

https://kiwavmotors.com/en/parts/controls/mirrors/turn-signals/led-neat-stem-mirrors-lucifer-with-sequential-effect-black-for-yamaha-detail

Nice. I like those. 👍

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

23 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Recently added some Kiwav mirrors with running lights and turn signals to the Niken, worth a look.

https://kiwavmotors.com/en/parts/controls/mirrors/turn-signals/led-neat-stem-mirrors-lucifer-with-sequential-effect-black-for-yamaha-detail

yes, nice. and given that you'll likely want to change the mirrors anyway (since they get loose and spin around), great mod! 

I wish I'd seen this before buying LEDs and new mirrors!

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, TomTracer said:
On 8/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, Heli ATP said:

Is the wiring fully hidden?

The pic shown in the Niken mirror thread shows  wiring over  mirror extenders before everything was secured. Without extenders wiring would only be visible on the bars and run with existing wires.

• Thumbsup 1

I went with the stock MT-07 led turn signals someone posted about in another turn signal thread.  Had all the parts ordered then partzilla notified that 1 of the rear turn signals is now on backorder.  No apparent time of when it will be available.  So the other three shipped and already have the led turn signal relay.  Hopefully at some point I can get the last turn signal and install all this.  In the meantime I am stuck with the 1949 Cadillac Eldorado style turn signals.

12 O’Clock Labs signals arrived today so I installed them. Not too bad a job, and as others have suggested I would definitely recommend to remove the rear fender to get to the rear lights. 

Couple things I’ll add that may have been covered, but I don’t remember reading about this stuff when I researched, so just in case:

- My job makes me very cautious and I test everything while I’m working on things. Initially I was VERY disappointed in the lights because I “tested” each side as I was wiring them in, starting with the front. I was expecting a hyper flash, at least on the dash from what I read, because the last thing I was going to do was swap the flasher relay, but instead the lights were dim, didn’t really flash and the running lights never shut off when the turn signals were on. I swapped the relay after doing both fronts only hoping that would help, no dice. I continued on thinking I’d call 12 O’ Clock Monday and bitch about these dim ass lights but low and behold when all four were done they looked and worked great. So if you’re like me, as long as they light, keep going, your wiring is correct. 

- Because of what I found above, they must not be shipping with built in resisters anymore, and you must replace the all 4 and flasher relay or they won’t function right. Everything I read leading up to this purchase indicated they had built in resisters, that did not seem to be the case anymore. 

- There was plenty of length in the signal wires, no need to extend any of them. 

- Order 2 sets of the Yamaha signal light mounts. It says that but isn’t super clear, so know you’ll need them. 

- I ordered the TS702-RLA front signals supposedly with the built in running lights, instead they sent the DRC-T602 lights with the running light adaptors. I’m not sure there were any cost savings, etc. but I’ll message them asking about this.  I had bought the 602’s for the rear so I was sent 2 sets of 602’s, adaptors for the rear lights to Yamaha pins, 2 sets of Yamaha light mounts and the 3 wire to 2 wire adaptors pinned to Yamaha for the front. Total cost was like $190, not cheap but with how much the OEM signals have gone up not crazy. 

Overall, they look great, I’m happy with the quality, but the front lights have a bunch of cable and adaptors you need to hide in the side panel. Easy to do, but I ordered the more expensive front lights with the hope I wouldn’t have a bundle of cables and adaptors to deal with and I did. Also one of the lights heads is fairly loose and easily spins, I’m going to ask them about that and I’ll update with what they say.

Edit: 12 O'Clock got back to me (on a Sunday I might add) and the substitution of the 602 lights was so all 4 signals matched (the 702's are slightly different shaped than the 602's I ordered for the rear), and he gave me instructions for tightening the signal head. He also said they still do have resistors in them, however certain bikes deal with them better and some don't depending on their design and what I experienced was not abnormal. Great customer service!!!!

I attached a couple poor pics, sorry!!!

Tracer Side 1.jpg

Tracer Front 1.jpg

Edited by miweber929
Added Info
  • Thumbsup 1

• 4 months later...

miweber929,

can you tell me what parts you bought from 12 oclock labs? 

I like your signals and I don't want to spend a ton on replacements.

I also want it to be easy with as little soldering (or no soldering) as possible.

thanks

Update:  I am sorry I didn't read your entire post.  You plainly state what you bought.  I will look over it again and let you know if I have any questions.  Are you still pleased with these and not had any problems?

Edited by tgas
  • Thumbsup 1