Read the FM, how do I turn on grip heaters!

Thanks for the video. My Tracer is a 2020 and the display differs from the video (only one display screen) as does the menu selector, a thumb wheel on the right side switch cluster. When I was on my ride this morning, bike stopped but running no matter what I did with the menu wheel the "off" never switched to "on" no matter if the background color was black or white. Tomorrow I will see if that changes when the bike is in gear and moving. Nowhere in the owners manual is on/off mentioned, which seems like a pretty important omission! 

I have seen lots of install videos but never thought to fast forward near the end as you said. D'oh!

Appreciate your help! Ride Safely!

• Thumbsup 1

6 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Thanks for the video. My Tracer is a 2020 and the display differs from the video (only one display screen) as does the menu selector, a thumb wheel on the right side switch cluster. When I was on my ride this morning, bike stopped but running no matter what I did with the menu wheel the "off" never switched to "on" no matter if the background color was black or white. Tomorrow I will see if that changes when the bike is in gear and moving. Nowhere in the owners manual is on/off mentioned, which seems like a pretty important omission! 

I have seen lots of install videos but never thought to fast forward near the end as you said. D'oh!

Appreciate your help! Ride Safely!

So you need to highlight the Heated Grips indicator, which only happens when showing a specific one of the three display pages.  Once it's highlighted, you click the wheel, then *after* that, you can turn the wheel to change between Off and 1, 2 or 3 bars of toastiness.  When done, you click the wheel again and that'll turn it back to page select mode. 

It's kind of janky and needlessly difficult, which makes adjusting the grips while riding pretty sketchy.  Also, the scroll wheel will only register clicks when pressed in "correctly".  It's really easy to click the scroll wheel but just have it move up or down instead of registering as a click, particularly when wearing gloves.  There's kind of a knack to it.

• Thumbsup 2

That scroll wheel is a pita, and I agree with janky! I wondered if I was not delicate enough to register clicks at the right time. Your reply is helpful, as was the first reply, thanks very much. I'll fool around with it tomorrow. Trying to adjust the grip heaters while riding is very distracting, such things I try very hard to avoid while riding!

Thanks again!

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, TomTracer said:

That scroll wheel is a pita, and I agree with janky! I wondered if I was not delicate enough to register clicks at the right time. Your reply is helpful, as was the first reply, thanks very much. I'll fool around with it tomorrow. Trying to adjust the grip heaters while riding is very distracting, such things I try very hard to avoid while riding!

Thanks again!

Coming from a couple of FJRs, I really really wish that the the LH thumb up/down rocker and LH finger trigger ran the “menus” (way the FJRs were set up) and the be-damned RH thumb-click wheel did the throttle response curve/traction control...some days I can “de-select” (white to black background) grip heat without changing the setting up or down a notch-but some days I find it almost impossible...and no, I seldom do it in motion.

Actually was thinking about that when I read your kick stand post, but figured you would be getting there eventually...

Only time I change back off the throttle response curve is when I’m riding two-up, and then wonder WTH is wrong with my bike on Monday morning pulling out on the highway commuting to work.

Regards;

Mark

Today was my 1sr ride on the Tracer so I'm just getting acquainted. Controls are far more electronic vs the more mechanical I'm used to. Once I get things set I likely wont change settings much or often. I've ridden 100's of K miles looking forward to the '20 GT trips. Thx for your reply.

I hate the scroller wheel. Especially with winter gloves. But, I suppose, most bikes are not designed for winter. 

And, it's  probably a good idea to mess with that stuff when parked as opposed to rocketing down the highway. 

But the one control that should be easily accessible while on the move is the grips. A person could die trying to get their hands the right temperature with this system. 

• Thumbsup 1

I too think the scroll wheel for heated grips is a complete pita.

First time I had them on they were set high/,10 and after an hour my hands were burning.

It was only luck that I managed to switch them off -- having poked at the wheel whilst riding to no avail and finally stopping to fiddle.

The wheel does not have a nice soft positive feel to the press action.

It is an absolute must to master it Static before riding - if you intend to use the heated grips. IMHO

Edited by flyfifer
  • Thumbsup 1

Got the grip heaters to work. Watched the video from the earlier reply and I found another YouTube tutorial with my display screen. My hearing loss combined with a heavy Scottish accent made it hard to discern but the clicking through the scroll wheel and showing what display changes helped a lot. I was definitely blacksmith forceful trying to enter whatever I changed. Now my gentle cherub like touch works great. Still won't do it while in motion. Thanks for all the responses fellow inmates! Ride Safely!

• Thumbsup 1

Have about 350 miles in this weekend, hope to get to first service break-in mileage tomorrow. Had some trouble getting the grip heaters on today but finally got through that ok. When home I go the F owners manual out and while looking for something else came across early page in section 4 that describes thumb wheel use! I scanned that page early on but went brain dead when I needed it. Hate to say it but it must be a man thing. That wheel still is not easy to use but when used with the touch described it does what it should. Anyway, D'oh!

LOL I bought my tracer 1,400 miles from home in the middle of a trip after my other bike broke down and turned it from a trip to an adventure.  Found the Tracer GT and made a deal on it, repaired old bike rode 250 miles and traded.  So I have a new bike it's 110 miles to where I was staying that night and I've got a full load of gear.  Decided that it might be a good idea to take a quick test ride on my new Tracer GT.  Sooooo as I'm riding down the road maybe a 1/4 mile from the dealer, it early September and warm.  My hands are getting hot, grip heaters are on high and I can't figure out how to turn them off!  I pull over into a parking lot and stopped and figured it out - not the easiest setup but my learning was hastened by necessity!  Rode back to dealer with cooling grips and loaded all my gear and headed out.  My previous bike had a button which was easy, every push cycled brom one level to the next and back to off.  I generally like the scroll wheel but it is a bit too hard (or easy) to press.  Generally I do all my selecting when at a stop, grips are the only thing I will turn on and change while moving.  I almost never use level 3, but have not adjusted any of the levels.  I need to bump 1 and 2 up a bit and leave 3 where it is.  Typically on my touring trips grip heaters are used early in the day or when going thru a pass and the temperature drops.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

The scroll wheel is a PITA for the grips, hard to find the grip control while riding, and then when I press the wheel I am just as likely to scroll away from the grip control as to enable the adjustment.

But I really do like the configurability, from the 3 active settings to the underlying ability to change the mapping of each of those 3 settings.

I do like the OEM yamaha grip heaters on the 900 GTs. The wheel is a bit finicky to use moving or not with gloves or without. And I think it is located on the wrong side of the bars. But the real estate on the left bar is cramped up with stuff as it is.