School me on ECU Flashing...

jeff_s

OK friends, I did a track day with by 2015 FJ-09, and loved it.  Yes, this not a "real" track bike, but that engine is totally up for it!

The limited top-end was annoying, so that's gotta go, and the low-rev on/off throttle issues are annoying.  So, I'll need an ECU flash, and I see three options here in the States:

1. V Cycle Nut

2. Ivan

3. 2 Wheel Dynoworks (2WDW)

4. DIY with FlashTune

Anyone have first-hand knowledge of the differences or benefits between them?  Recommendations?  I did search here a bit - but forgive me if this is already covered somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny but I don’t think anyone has actually compared all 4 different flashes to each other and posted in one place about it.  Probably because most of us flash and forget, once it’s done you don’t think about it anymore.

IMHO they are all good, choose based on who has a file for your particular setup, who is closest to you, or choose TWDW in WA because they are a forum sponsor and take care of the community here and in other areas. (Not sure if the other 3 sponsor? Anywho...)

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

I am a big fan of Ivan's flashes.  I feel he does the most testing and his flashes are very smooth with amazing drivability.  I have had flashes from other vendors and they are good but I think Ivan's are the best.  Just my 2 cents of course. :)

• Supporting Member
On 4/5/2021 at 9:15 AM, jeff_s said:

Anyone have first-hand knowledge of the differences or benefits between them?  Recommendations?  I did search here a bit - but forgive me if this is already covered somewhere.

All of those 3 have been used by members here and are all extensively tested and recieve good results and reviews.

2WDW is the forum vendor here, Vcyclenut is the forum vendor on the FZ/MT forum and Ivan has good reviews as well.  They are all good fuel maps but like @skipperT mentioned, I'm not sure anyone has ridden them back to back to compare.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Also, look a the APS thread as well. That'll help out with the herky jerky. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

2WDW flashed my FJ and had them flash my GSXR later on. Both were quality and quick. 

2WDW does sales around holidays, I suggest waiting for one and collecting on the discount.  

'15 FJ09

2 minutes ago, maximo said:

Also, look a the APS thread as well. That'll help out with the herky jerky. 

Also this. @com3 has spent more time on a racetrack with his FJ than anybody else I know of. No ECU flash either... 

'15 FJ09

48 minutes ago, koth442 said:

Also this. @com3 has spent more time on a racetrack with his FJ than anybody else I know of. No ECU flash either... 

that being said, i did go into the diagnostics of the FJ on the dash and went 1 value less on the APS config when i was chasing the surging issue.  it smoothed out the throttle a tiny bit. didn't fix the surging. lulz. 

the top end limiter would be the only reason why i'd flash the bike, i think... but even so, the FJ sucks over 90mph, so what's the point in even that?  

• Thumbsup 1

OK - thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I suspected comparing the different flashes would be costly and probably no one ever does it.  Feedback on the various options is very helpful.

The track day was way too much fun, so I've gotten a dedicated track bike.  So, no more circuit-time for my FJ.  I'd still like to improve low-throttle response, so a flash might still be in my future..

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

Early review of Ivan's flash

The snatchy throttle is 99% better.  There is less engine braking.  It is smoother (almost too much) in every gear and at every RPM.  The speedometer is the same (shows 1.5-2mph fast).  I swear there is less whine in gear 5&6.  There is more power, though I can't say I'm tapping into it on the street...much.  

Negatives:  I think my fuel economy dipped 20%.  I've only gone not quite two tanks, and the first one I thought maybe I didn't reset the ODO, but now coming to the end of this second tank I think my MPG is going to go from at least 50 to more like 40.  I asked Ivan about it, and he immediately claimed that he makes no claims about MPG, and that it shouldn't really have been effected.  He blamed the colder temps.  55-65 degrees should not be a factor IMO.  And here is straight from his website on MPG

Set main timing tables for maximium power and driveability across the entire rpm range and all throttle positions.
This also helps provide better fuel economy, and less vibration when cruising and moderate acceleration.

Anyway, I think I read someone else have with this issue of a smell.  It's kind of like gas, but also just like maybe when chain lube is burning on the engine, but it is a distinct smell that I only experience when I pull into the garage and turn off the bike.  I did not experience this before the flash.  It crossed my mind that maybe I switched the tubes on the underside of the tank when I reinstalled everything, but something tells me the bike would not run or run correctly if I did that.

So I'll keep an eye on the MPG, and a nose on the smell, but overall because my main goal was to get rid of the jerk of power with the slight throttle, I'd have to say it was worth it...probably.  And maybe on a trip with more cruising miles the mpg will improve, idk.  

Just confirmed, 42.5 mpg.  That makes an effective range of only 191 miles if you risk going to 4.5 gallons used.  

Luckily I have two friends with unmodified triples to compare and see if I really think it's worth it.

Edited by Yamajank

the only motorcyclists i've ever seen that were concerned about fuel economy have been FJ/tracer owners..  did you guys buy these bikes for the range?  or for the ride?

• Thumbsup 2

Running Ivan's flash as well. I went with him because, well, he was local. :) The smell you are smelling is the particularly rich fuel mix, mostly because of the AIS valve being disabled I believe. If you aren't already considering an aftermarket exhaust, then that will be in your future as well. The cat is going to get clogged over time. Not today, or tomorrow or possibly next year, but *eventually*. If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't. I never really had a problem with jerky throttle on my '20 tracer, and I haven't really noticed any more power, either. But these things are all pretty subjective. The only thing that I've particularly enjoyed is the ability to set cruise at a lower speed and in all gears.

FWIW, I'm achieving around 45mpg, and I do NOT baby her.

Edited by SKYFLIX
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Luckily I have two friends with unmodified triples to compare and see if I really think it's worth it.

I'd be curious how that comparison turns out in a side by side run??

• Thumbsup 1