School me on ECU Flashing...

jeff_s

50 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

If you aren't already considering an aftermarket exhaust, then that will be in your future as well. The cat is going to get clogged over time. Not today, or tomorrow or possibly next year, but *eventually*.

I did not know this.  I really don't want to do an exhaust.  What happens if the cat gets clogged?

28 minutes ago, NormR said:

I'd be curious how that comparison turns out in a side by side run??

Like a race?  The other two aren't GT, so I guess I'll have to "promise" not to use the quick shifter.  haha

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I did not know this.  I really don't want to do an exhaust.  What happens if the cat gets clogged?

General engine performance problems. Once the cat gets clogged, it won't be able to breath as well, so you will experience reduced acceleration, possibly starting problems. I don't mean to tell you this to scare you. I have almost 2000 miles on my bike after the flash, and haven't had any problems yet. But that might not be the case at 20k miles. If you have to pass emissions testing in your area, then Ivan's flash (or any of them TBH) are probably not right for you. If you *don't*, then you can cut that cat out or completely replace your exhaust.

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I asked Ivan about it, and he immediately claimed that he makes no claims about MPG, and that it shouldn't really have been effected.  He blamed the colder temps.  55-65 degrees should not be a factor IMO. 

Yes, exactly the same as I have experienced over the years. In the colder winter months, I can get a FUEL AVG reading of 39-42mpg per tank and today it was 77 degrees and I got an average 46mpg on the first tank in the morning and 51mpg average on the tank in the later afternoon.

On a trip to California, it was close to 100 degrees and we were flogging the bikes good in the twisties, I looked down and was surprised to see the average reading showing just under 54mpg. 

I don't have Ivan's flash and have never smelled fuel from the exhaust but your fuel economy will vary a fair bit from season to season.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

You can still flash, but leave AIS active. This will have no impact on performance, but will be better for your cat. Disabling AIS makes sense when you have an aftermarket pipe and want to prevent popping.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I know it’s possible to send back to Ivan to put it back to stock, but I assume I’m out the money too.  If I found someone who wanted the flash, could we swap ecu’s and both run fine or is the ecu tagged somehow to my specific bike?  I probably shouldn’t have delved into this arena of flashing without understanding enough about it. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I know it’s possible to send back to Ivan to put it back to stock, but I assume I’m out the money too.  If I found someone who wanted the flash, could we swap ecu’s and both run fine or is the ecu tagged somehow to my specific bike?  I probably shouldn’t have delved into this arena of flashing without understanding enough about it. 

I might be willing to swap you ecu's to test out your theory. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Like a race?  The other two aren't GT, so I guess I'll have to "promise" not to use the quick shifter.  haha

The QuickShifter  is nice, I'll bet, but there's more to  speediness than a marginally faster shift. 

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, com3 said:

the only motorcyclists i've ever seen that were concerned about fuel economy have been FJ/tracer owners..  did you guys buy these bikes for the range?  or for the ride?

Both. Sometimes I'm in a place with a long way between gas stations.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Let’s go Brandon

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for some actual reviews of the 2WDW ecu flash in the last year or so. The last one I found on here was 2017. And it wasn't very specific. Is there anyone with a more recent experience?  I don't care much about added power. I want smooth but still with the 900 character of loads of torque. And of course please describe any other changes you noticed good or bad. Thanks!  

29 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I've been looking for some actual reviews of the 2WDW ecu flash in the last year or so. The last one I found on here was 2017. And it wasn't very specific. Is there anyone with a more recent experience?  I don't care much about added power. I want smooth but still with the 900 character of loads of torque. And of course please describe any other changes you noticed good or bad. Thanks!  

I’m not in the states so I can’t recommend anyone but I can say that I was pretty sceptical about getting a flash. Now I can only echo what others said before me; it transformed the bike.

Edited by petshark