• Premium Member
5 hours ago, i_ride45 said:

It's all the stuff you see on TV bud. I've been pulled over nearly 40 times in the USA and never had a real problem other than a handful of tickets.

This, I talk to the LEO just like I would anyone else, but my momma taught me good manners.

I've learned that troopers don't like to be asked questions... especially in OK. 

• Thumbsup 3

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

You'd have no problem grabbing stuff out of the cop's sight?  I mean, there's a pile of American's in this very thread being pretty clear about keeping hands visible etc.  

I mean, just up this page: 

Honestly that sounds overly cautious to me as well, like @i_ride45 mentioned I have been pulled over many, many times and just get off the bike and hand them my paperwork.  I have never had a LEO approach paranoid or tell me to keep my hands on the bars, infact they have always been very friendly and end up talking bikes after a few minutes.  At least in my experience, 3 out of 4 times they are willing to lecture you with concern for your safety and give a warning. YMMV.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have a friend who is a LEO.  He shared a story about a recent traffic stop and we all had a good laugh. 

He came down an entrance ramp onto a busy Atlanta interstate and saw a car speeding in the left lane (4 lanes going this way) and sped up into the guy's blind spot.  85 in a 55.  My friend slowed and dropped in behind the speeder, lights flashing.  

The guy pulled over and my friend approached the window, then asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?"  He said the driver looked embarrassed and answered - - - "not sure, how long you been back there?"   He let the guy off with a warning - said it was the best laugh he had all week.  

Ride Safe - 

Edited by YamaGeezer
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, YamaGeezer said:

The guy pulled over and my friend approached the window, then asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?" 

I've learned that the wrong answer to this is "Ooh! Twenty questions! My favorite game!" 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

You'd have no problem grabbing stuff out of the cop's sight?  I mean, there's a pile of American's in this very thread being pretty clear about keeping hands visible etc. 

I want to make the officer as relaxed as possible. Nothing more.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Each encounter is different.  I do not live in the USA, but I do ride there often (well up until last year... covid...).

I was pulled over 3 times, 2 were super friendly, and a conversation followed when they noticed the Canadian license plate.  These were both for weird turns, or maneuvers.  The confused tourist excuse got me out of the tickets.

The 3rd was awful.  The female officer got out of her car, pulled her gun and started walking briskly towards me and my friend, screaming.  I was seated on my bike, modular helmet up, with my hands visible and open, on top of the hand guards.  I did not believe my b***hole could crawl up so far!  After a couple of "Yes officer, no officer", relaxed and slow non threatening responses, she holstered and calmed down.  I got off with a warning for speeding.  I will never know why she was so hyped up...  Life lesson here, don't argue with a .45!  De-escalate!

I was never pulled over in Canada, so I cannot compare.  But I have never heard of anyone having a discussion at gun point on the side of the road around here.

After reading some of the posts in this topic I feel very happy to be living in the UK with its strict gun control measures and mostly unarmed police force. On our we have more ordinary police cars and I tend to see more of them on the roads and they will pull over some of the road traffic violations that they might encounter and Traffic cars that are more focused on traffic laws. In the past 6 to 8 months and 4,000 miles of driving I think I have seen one traffic car on the roads I have used. Twice if you count the same car 20 minutes later on the other side of the motorway. Well its a lovely Sunday morning so I think I might go for a fast run out :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been stopped multiple times in cars and bikes in the UK.

On the bike: engine off, onto side stand, off the bike and helmet off, look contrite. I’ve never had any form of ticket, even when caught doing 60 in a 30 limit. Talk about bikes, accept any lectures given, nod at their wise insights and it has always worked out.

In the car: 32 in a 30, three points and a fine. 37 in a 30, speed awareness course.

I always get done in the car, zero tolerance, but always get let off on the bike. Strange, but I guess it reflects the major volume of police work will be against cars.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

12 hours ago, WastedMind3500 said:

I was never pulled over in Canada, so I cannot compare.  But I have never heard of anyone having a discussion at gun point on the side of the road around here.

Not on a bike, but on a car, crossing the border into BC, the Canadian Border Services Agent asked if I had any weapons, and I said "no", then remembered I had pepper spray, so I said "Altho I do have pepper spray in the car, I don't know if that's considered a weapon."  He immediately keyed something into his radio and then said something in a calm, smooth voice to me (I don't remember what, only that it was inconsequential). Before I knew it I had two CBSA on my car, one in front and one in back, the guy in front with his hand on the holster - not drawn weapon, but making it clear he was ready. The agent in the booth suddenly got very authoritative and gave me very precise orders on how to reach for and hand over the pepper spray. Then to give him the car keys, and then how to get out of the car.

I was then taken inside into a conference room where I was kept for 3 hours answering questions to two sets of agents, the Canadian version of Good Cop - Bad Cop, which was sort of Good Cop - Better Cop. They dismantled my car and unpacked my suitcase and backpack (I was on my way to hike the West Coast Trail). They kept asking me things that I knew corresponded with things they found in the car.  They kept trying trip me up on my story, or would ask the same thing from multiple angles. They asked about my Canadian host and did a background on him, asking me detailed questions about him.  Very bizarre. 

Finally when it was all done, I was filling out the paperwork and the CBSA did the most Canadian of things, apologized for the inconvenience and told me next time to bring bear spray, since that's legal, "and it's the same thing", he offered helpfully. 

No actual gunpoint or harassment needed, but it was quite clear they were in charge. 

Oh, and the West Coast Trail was stunning. I would recommend it to anyone with the physical ability to do the trail. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, koth442 said:

Noted, carry bear spray no pepper spray. 

Very good to know.

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximo said:

Not on a bike, but on a car, crossing the border into BC, the Canadian Border Services Agent asked if I had any weapons, and I said "no", then remembered I had pepper spray, so I said "Altho I do have pepper spray in the car, I don't know if that's considered a weapon."  He immediately keyed something into his radio and then said something in a calm, smooth voice to me (I don't remember what, only that it was inconsequential). Before I knew it I had two CBSA on my car, one in front and one in back, the guy in front with his hand on the holster - not drawn weapon, but making it clear he was ready. The agent in the booth suddenly got very authoritative and gave me very precise orders on how to reach for and hand over the pepper spray. Then to give him the car keys, and then how to get out of the car.

I was then taken inside into a conference room where I was kept for 3 hours answering questions to two sets of agents, the Canadian version of Good Cop - Bad Cop, which was sort of Good Cop - Better Cop. They dismantled my car and unpacked my suitcase and backpack (I was on my way to hike the West Coast Trail). They kept asking me things that I knew corresponded with things they found in the car.  They kept trying trip me up on my story, or would ask the same thing from multiple angles. They asked about my Canadian host and did a background on him, asking me detailed questions about him.  Very bizarre. 

Finally when it was all done, I was filling out the paperwork and the CBSA did the most Canadian of things, apologized for the inconvenience and told me next time to bring bear spray, since that's legal, "and it's the same thing", he offered helpfully. 

No actual gunpoint or harassment needed, but it was quite clear they were in charge. 

Oh, and the West Coast Trail was stunning. I would recommend it to anyone with the physical ability to do the trail. 

Thanks for sharing - this was very insightful since I cross the border from the US a lot into Canada to visit my lady's family in Toronto. Although I'm usually by air, this is very helpful for any land crossings. 

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 4/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, sabre85 said:

Kickstand down, bike off

hands on bars, do not get off bike, could be seen as an aggressive move

open face shield or modular helmet, don't take helmet off, could be seen as a weapon to a twitchy policeman, ask to remove helmet if necessary

ask to get off bike if necessary to access papers or license.

inform officer if you are going to reach into tank bag for papers ect.

"yes sir, no sir" always

with all the idiots, and road rage incidents, getting off the bike or reaching into bags for papers before the officer is informed could all be seen as aggressive moves.

best to wait for permission to make any moves

Never thought of the helmet as being used as a weapon. Good insight. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, in almost 29 years of riding motorcycles, I've only been pulled over once on motorcycle, and that was because I was riding a dirt bike with no tags on neighborhood road to get to some dirt trails. 

When I introduced myself to my local BMW Motorcycle Owners Association (when I had an R1150R) a few years back, I was roundly boo'ed (good naturedly) for having zero tickets. 

On average, how many times have you folks gotten pulled over while riding your motorcycles? 

2019 Niken GT