Front wheel bearing removal. Possible without specialized tool?

petshark

I've seen a few mechanics on youtube remove a wheel bearing by using a punch. They push the spacer a little to the side and gently tap the bearing out from the back (going round and round).

Has anyone done this on the Tracer or do I need a bearing puller?

• Premium Member

I din't think you can move that spacer enough to do that. 

I bought this and it worked great.

Pit Posse PP1692 Motorcycle Wheel Bearing Remover Separator Extractor Puller Tool

I couldn't get the link to work. Do a search and you'll find it.

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

On 4/9/2021 at 10:56 PM, micah2074 said:

I din't think you can move that spacer enough to do that. 

I bought this and it worked great.

Pit Posse PP1692 Motorcycle Wheel Bearing Remover Separator Extractor Puller Tool

I couldn't get the link to work. Do a search and you'll find it.

Thanks for the tip but I can't find a place to order that in Belgium.

Would something like this work?

image.thumb.png.4e51170dfb83a6fa43fd41b4d8fdc617.png

• Premium Member

When you go to pop it out, if it won’t come try the other side. I couldn’t get one side to budge. I put the tool in the other side and the bearing came out eazy-pezy. The spacer fell out. Then I flipped the wheel over and the first bearing came out as easily as the other. 

Let’s go Brandon

2 hours ago, micah2074 said:

When you go to pop it out, if it won’t come try the other side. I couldn’t get one side to budge. I put the tool in the other side and the bearing came out eazy-pezy. The spacer fell out. Then I flipped the wheel over and the first bearing came out as easily as the other. 

Good tip, thanks. I was actually planning on only changing one bearing because the bike only has 12000 kms on it so they should be fine. I found out after troubleshooting a noise that one of the two bearings had almost no grease in there.

I added grease and the noise went away but I feel some unevenness while rolling that could be related to the bearings so I figured I might as well change it. There's bound to be some wear there but the other one is almost certainly still good.

• Thumbsup 1