Thumb wheel and blinker switch lubrication

I wish I was as sensitive to things going wrong with my bike as petshark is.  Hopefully this doesn't come across as an insult, because it isn't intended to be.  He just likes everything to work perfectly 👍.

I've found with switches that the solution is to take them apart and figure out what is making them not feel quite right.  Might need to clean something out, or even bend a metal tab somewhere to make it work more smoothly.  Done this with great success on several old bikes and even my daughter's 4-wheeler.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

Just got back from a 5 day 1,800 mile quick trip.  I use the thumbwheel a lot.  1st day out and last day back are almost 600 mile days and I try and optimize gas stops.  Every stop reset trip odometer, gas consumption and gas mileage.  While riding will rotate back and forth a fair amount between trip odometer, gas consumption and gas mileage displays.  Bought the bike in September and just rolled over 6,000 miles.

The switch is somewhat stiff to push in but works OK with gloves on.  I have found it takes a precise careful push on the switch but once I trained my thumb it has worked well.  Under way I'm just rotating it so not too bad.  Heated grips!!!!  Now that is a different issue - it is very fiddly and difficult to do under way.  Not too bad when on a straight road with not much traffic around but on a 2 lane road that's not straight it is difficult.  Most of my trouble with it is trying to push straight in to activate then roll to the heat level and push again.  One of those two pushes will get screwed up.  My previous bike had a simple button, that was a little difficult to reach to, with a push cycling thru the different settings.  Much easier when under way.

My blinkers are the same as any other bike other than the fact that that area is busy with the cruse control button close by.  

In general when I ride a lot I get better at operating these controls but when not riding so much I forget a little of the fine control.

• Thumbsup 3

That thumbwheel is like something you'd find on a kid's toy. Not my only issue with the bike but, overall, there's a lot more good than bad. Every bike has to have its Achilles heel, it seems.

• Thumbsup 2

17 hours ago, larolco said:

That thumbwheel is like something you'd find on a kid's toy. Not my only issue with the bike but, overall, there's a lot more good than bad. Every bike has to have its Achilles heel, it seems.

LOL yup the Stroms had/have many more, just compare the number of issue topics on that forum compared to this one. ;) 

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, Jfundo said:

I wish I was as sensitive to things going wrong with my bike as petshark is.  Hopefully this doesn't come across as an insult, because it isn't intended to be.  He just likes everything to work perfectly 👍.

I've found with switches that the solution is to take them apart and figure out what is making them not feel quite right.  Might need to clean something out, or even bend a metal tab somewhere to make it work more smoothly.  Done this with great success on several old bikes and even my daughter's 4-wheeler.  

No offense taken 😇 I am a guitar player by profession so I suppose I am overly sensitive to these kind of things.

I have considered taking the turn signal switch apart (the wheel I can live with) because that resistance really is getting worse.       I've done 5000 km these last 3 months since I got the bike so I'm pretty sure that I'm not imagining it. 😉

The thing is that I like doing these choirs in the winter but now I just want to ride so I'm still hoping for a quick fix. I have ordered a can of generic contact cleaner that should arrive one of these days and will try that first.

Contact cleaner (with the switch separated and off the handlebar) into the turn signal switch will help clean out the gunk along with a careful shot of compressed air. Follow it up with a light lube/protectant like Deox-it or the like and you should be golden. 

I own a 15 model so have no experience with the rotary switch but I’ll bet treating it similarly will help that one as well. That one could be a bit trickier I guess because it pushes in as well as rotates. So there would be 2 areas in the switch that would need attention. 

I’ve also used MP cable lube with good success after cleaning a switch but I’m not sure if I can recommend that due to the lube being mixed with a bit of Moly. YMMV. Thoughts from the collective on moly in a switch?

-Skip 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, petshark said:

I have considered taking the turn signal switch apart (the wheel I can live with) because that resistance really is getting worse.

If it's any consolation, taking the turn signal apart, while a bit fiddly, is not really that difficult. There are 2 screws holding the housing together, two screws holding the base to the handle bar, and 1 or 2 screws to full remove the horn button, and gain access to the turn signal switch assembly itself. I believe when I installed the Smart Turn system, it took me less than 45 minutes to disassemble and reassemble. The only tricky part is slipping the bundle of wires back under a clip on the bottom half of the control housing.

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, petshark said:

So using DeoxIT on the jog wheel does not work for you?

Yes the jog wheel is just a bad idea  ..  end of. And at 74 I can work it ok...................but not on the bike.............have to stop and fiddle. Hahaha

Interesting development. Today at a stop sign I noticed that my turn indicator light was missing in the dashboard. Quickly found out that all blinkers were dead, so no hazard lights either... lucky I was almost home.

While fiddling around with the wiring everything worked again but I had no idea why. I did a quick stop at the dealer who said it’s probably the switch. I told him about the increasing difficulty to push it and he was amazed at the resistance it gave and asked if the bikes lives outside (never). He got his mechanic to squirt some penetrating oil in there and 10 seconds later the switch was 5 times easier to move than before.

This got worse so gradually that I no longer had any idea how light it is supposed to be even.

Edited by petshark