CP3 Engine astounds!

I finally picked up my new Tracer and could not believe the response from that triple cylinder motor. Thats on a brand new 0km bike.  I will have to use serious restraint as the acceleration is relentless!  The gearing is so much longer as well, compared to the smaller bikes Ive owned. Add in the gorgeous burbles and gurgles and you are basically on top of something that sounds like a Formula One car engine. Heres to a great summer and good riddance to Covid 19.

• Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

Welcome to the fan club of the 900 engine. It's no Feejer, Concours or Busa, but from 0-60 it's so much damn fun. And it does sound and feel better. My Feejer sounded like a sewing machine, just a muted rhythmic machine sound. My Connie sounded better, but still muted and a classic 4 cylinder smoothness of tone. But the 3? The 3 sounds and feels like it's trying harder, and is way more fun below 80-90. To get all that and have it be bomb proof is just amazing. 

• Thumbsup 4

CP3 Engine astounds!

I remember the day I picked up my test ride GT from Saltire motorcycles in Edinburgh. Set off in B mode to get used to it said the dealer. The bike was smooth and dealt well with the city traffic, (tick 1) stopping at lights and junctions safe and predictable (tick 2) Tight left and right bend as I left the city behind good handling (tick 3) then 8 minutes into the test ride leaving the city an empty 1/4 mile straight opening ahead click into a standard mode at some point said the dealer and.....OMG ITS FANTASTIC ITS AMAZING YEEEE HAAAA!!!! BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE ITS THE END OF THE STRAIGHT OMG I NEED ONE OF THESE IN MY LIFE!! 

And the decision was made, two other tests for other bikes were cancelled that afternoon. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

And it can do that in 3rd gear. 👍🏻

So true. Because I live between launch and maybe 5,000 RPM, I sometimes forget how much space and power lives above that range. I was feeling frisky and got onto a local highway recently and just left it in 3rd to wind it out. It was so damn smooth and quick, and I looked down and was doing 90+ and I was at something like 8 or 9K as I recall. The flexibility of an engine that has such grunt down low, and is smooth at low revs, and will wind up to 10K plus is really something. When I am up at those RPM's I often think of how fast the pistons are going up and down! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Garz747 said:

At my age Im still in B mode!  Will try other modes this weekend for sure. Just trying to get my bearings lol.

Then you're in for a very pleasant surprise! 

Love the engine as well.. has solid power all the way through.. here in NY there are some freeways where you have to come to a complete stop before entering.. getting to highway speed (and beyond) is exhilarating on this bike 

• Premium Member

ok, to put some (my) perspective on this to inform future buyers:  i came from inline 4's, an 07 FJR w 46k miles and 2 R1's, an 08 and a 14, each over 10k miles.  The triple will not overwhelm you when downsizing from 4 cylinders to 3.

But like everything it's all a mater of tradeoffs.  It was a rare occurrence when i could unwind my R1 in anything past 3rd gear.  It was so fun at high RPM's but they just arent achievable on the street without serious risk of "performance award" citation.  The FJR just cruised effortlessly down the highway at 80+ mph and could go all day at that pace and could easily "rev" it to over 120 with plenty to spare.

But I now ride a Tracer 900 GT w maybe 13k miles  And love it more because I use 90%+ of the rev range on a regular basis.  I'm always in A mode unless tight twisties, then im in Std.  The bike runs much cooler, the engine is much narrower than an inline 4.  The overall bike is fast, effortless to ride, and fun in the twisties.

My $.02.

• Thumbsup 5

I understand, Garz747!  The triple is a sweet engine for sure.  I have a massive total of 80 km on mine now lol, so I guess that makes me an absolute expert!  It really does seem to be a virtually viceless power plant, and I am very impressed by what Yamaha has managed to accomplish with only 847cc.  I have owned one other triple; a 1980 Yamaha 850 (I believe the actual displacement was 827 or something close to that).  Hard to believe the difference in performance generated by an extra 20cc and 40 years of technological advances.  Go figure; )  

In my 3 main rides so far, I have had a difficult time finding fault with anything in the dynamic qualities of the machine as a whole.  I really wish it wasn't snowing today...

13 hours ago, Garz747 said:

At my age Im still in B mode!  Will try other modes this weekend for sure. Just trying to get my bearings lol.

Perhaps A mode might be better. You don’t have to turn the throttle so much, so it’s way easier on your wrist 😊.

Edited by Rick123

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Salish900 said:

I was feeling frisky and got onto a local highway recently and just left it in 3rd to wind it out. It was so damn smooth and quick, and I looked down and was doing 90+ and I was at something like 8 or 9K as I recall.

I did the same thing, long on-ramp and I just accelerated and focused on merging left.  The motor never stopped accelerating smooth and care-free as I settled into the flow of interstate traffic at 85mph, then and looked down and realized "oh, I'm still in 3rd gear".  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

LOL very easy to do even with loaded sidecase top case and a duffle bag on the rear seat!  I know cause I did it at least twice yesterday.  When merging onto an interstate I accelerate and hopefully dont get run over so by the time I let off and look at spedo it's oops a bit to fast.  Crusing along in 6th it still has lots of power and runs so smoothly and effortlessly.  For a long time I rode in B but now riding in A which is good most of the time but occasionally it just doesn't work!  

I'm with @Garz747, leaving it on B mode for now. I've only just gotten it and even in B mode it scoots! I'll then "upgrade" to Standard mode when I'm a little more comfortable with it. I think A mode will be rare. 

I'm loving every mile so far, but I've only done about 80 since buying it... WI needs to warm up a bit!