Sierra mountain passes

i_ride45

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, i_ride45 said:

Monitor Pass on 89 is now open. It sounds like we'll have an early opening of Sonora and Ebbett's this year due to lack of snow pack. Anyone else waiting patiently to make a trip up here?

image.png

Yes, we are going in June, monitor, Ebbetts and Carson Passes.  👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I live in Carson City; dying to do Monitor and Ebbetts again.

Regrettably, due to the storm last night (4/14/21) , Cal-Trans says that Monitor is closed again. It should re-open soon.

This is a video I posted on YouTube on May 14, 2019 - not as dramatic as your photos (I was a week late for that) but it was a good day: 

Edited by justplainbill
  • Thumbsup 2

Man I would if I could, but honestly, riding those passes just whets my appetite for backpacking the region. Let me tell you, south of Sonora Pass is some sublime country when traveling on two feet! 

• Thumbsup 4

2 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Man I would if I could, but honestly, riding those passes just whets my appetite for backpacking the region. Let me tell you, south of Sonora Pass is some sublime country when traveling on two feet! 

I usually alternate my summer weekends between motorcycle rides and backpacking trips. Though most of my backpacking trips are closer to the Tahoe area in Desolation Wilderness.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW 89 through Lassen Park opened up this week. While the ride itself is nice (though criminally limited by speed limits), it's more important in the function it plays in stitching together rides. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
On 5/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, i_ride45 said:

Looks like they are getting some snow again this weekend too.

14 hours ago, duckie said:

Love the weather patterns of California...

I rode into California this morning from Washington for a quick ride. I had to reroute due to rain and snow in the upper elevations. I still encountered flurries north of Mt Shasta coming over the summit on 97, shortly afterward in Red Bluff getting gas it was almost 70°.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...