another hand wind deflector LED DIY

Skidood

Was inspired to do this by someone else on this forum who put LEDS in the wind deflectors .

I bought LED strips from Ali Express and removed the LED strip from the plastic housing, removed the yellow wire for the turn signal (didn't want them). Clear-coated, then painted the yellow LEDS black as well as the entire flexible circuit "board" ,   glued it onto the bottom part of the deflector with black RTV.  

They are very very bright but are angled downwards on about a 45 degree angle.  This doesn't reduce the LED brightness persay but viewed from the front, it makes the apparent size of the LEDs smaller, the individual LEDs are rectangular and flat. 

Haven't checked it out at night yet, just finished doing this this morning.  Will report back on observations at night.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000433048492.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5daf4c4dzn0XJy

20210413_114243.jpg

Edited by Skidood
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Nice!  Looks simple and looks nice.  Ive noticed a number of CanAm Spyder with light strips on them, really makes them notocible.  Ive wondered about a solid strip compared with individual LEDs but dont know where to source something like that.  Leading edge of the fairing would be another interesting spot.

I wired mine with the signals so I could get rid of the pumpkins. Also I drilled holes in the guard for a more built in look. Filled the holes with clear jb weld to make it look like little lenses.  They are white when in running mode and amber in signal mode. 

96D7A2FD-2793-4115-ACAE-3A665E8596C4.jpeg

9A4A51C2-5F00-49C2-93E7-BF672B9C212E.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3

Yup, you're the guy! 

Ali Express has tons of different LED strips but its hard to find ones short enough.  There are some you can cut to length but the distance between the LEDS seems too much.  

Whelp, tried some photos at night but all you can see is that the LEDs are very bright.  I dont think they would be  annoying to other drivers (well, not as bad as the jewel LEDs on newer Acura SUVs)  but they definitely increase your visibility which was my goal.  One weird thing is that since they are very "wide-angle",  they really light up that area of the bike's guts  behind the headlights, and also make you more visible from the side since they cast light onto the silver triangle shaped fairing thing on the sides.   

I always thought it was illegal to use accessory lights mounted higher than the headlights on the road (which is why jeep people cover their roof light bars).  I tried to google and can't find anything specific to motorcycles, but it does seem to be a law for cars in most states.  No idea about our neighbors to the north.  

Up here (at least in the Toronto area) I truly doubt any cop would hassle you for that if it was illegal.  But in other areas like the boonies where they don't have anything better to do, maybe.  Especially if they were really bright.  I don't know if its illegal here but if it is in NY, it probably is here too.  I may add a resistor and switch so that I can tone them down a bit for night use,  while being able to switch them back to full brightness for daytime.  I just need to make a decision as to whether they are too bright at night.