GPS, Garmin vs Tomtom

WastedMind3500

• Supporting Member

Finally installed a anti-glare screen on my mirror-like Garmin DriveSmart 55. I am trying a paper-like (texture) tablet screen. Inexpensive and easy to cut with sharp scissors. Came with two iPad sized sheets, so good for up to seven fails 😁. It reduces the sharpness of the display a bit, but at least I can see the content. A couple of comparative shots with my older Nuvi 2557 (on the left). We shall see how this thing lasts. @kilo3... have you found anything decent for yours?

garmin_off.thumb.jpg.d3d5a1ccb7d2b3c2037c091a38a8cbb4.jpg

garmin_fullbright.thumb.jpg.9e6eab6a4bfa3ae4c7b8a530d1afc333.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I bought a Garmin XT over the winter as a replacement for a 595. I do really like the display, but the software, or my understanding of it, is sometimes annoying.

I live in Germany and use an app called kurviger to plan routes. I can load the GPX files to the Garmin with little trouble. The annoying thing is that the XT sometimes re-routes between the waypoints, sometimes around roads that I really want to ride.

I have a similar complaint that the "route Home" doesn't seem to use my Adventurous Routing settings, rather gets me home quickly. (Perhaps my configuration?)

I was using the TomTom Go app on my rugged phone and found it easier to plan routes. (I still use it for riding in the US, when visiting family).

3 hours ago, HoosierInBayern said:

I bought a Garmin XT over the winter as a replacement for a 595. I do really like the display, but the software, or my understanding of it, is sometimes annoying.

I live in Germany and use an app called kurviger to plan routes. I can load the GPX files to the Garmin with little trouble. The annoying thing is that the XT sometimes re-routes between the waypoints, sometimes around roads that I really want to ride.

I have a similar complaint that the "route Home" doesn't seem to use my Adventurous Routing settings, rather gets me home quickly. (Perhaps my configuration?)

I was using the TomTom Go app on my rugged phone and found it easier to plan routes. (I still use it for riding in the US, when visiting family).

Make sure you have the setting for Off-Route Recalculation set to OFF

• Thumbsup 1