Yosemite Valley Picnic

duckie

So, Kevins ride report got me thinking about visiting places and  roads I have not been be to in years, try decades. 

One of those places is Yosemite Valley. Thinks its been thirty years or more. 

Starting May 21, reservations are required to enter Yosemite park. FYI, those reservations go on sale April 21. 

So I was thinking of a Picnic day ride to the valley before May 21. When depends on weather, but fore sure not this week.

Google map indicate roughy 4hrs, 200 miles one way.  I was thinking on leaving San Jose around 6am, getting to the Valley around 10am, find a spot, eat relax and depart around 2pm. 

Anyone interested let me know. No firm date as of yet, be it will be before May 21 and will be on a Tues, Weds, Thurs...if possible, 

• Thumbsup 1

19 minutes ago, duckie said:

So, Kevins ride report got me thinking about visiting places and  roads I have not been be to in years, try decades. 

One of those places is Yosemite Valley. Thinks its been thirty years or more. 

Starting May 21, reservations are required to enter Yosemite park. FYI, those reservations go on sale April 21. 

So I was thinking of a Picnic day ride to the valley before May 21. When depends on weather, but fore sure not this week.

Google map indicate roughy 4hrs, 200 miles one way.  I was thinking on leaving San Jose around 6am, getting to the Valley around 10am, find a spot, eat relax and depart around 2pm. 

Anyone interested let me know. No firm date as of yet, be it will be before May 21 and will be on a Tues, Weds, Thurs...if possible, 

I wish I could ride mid-week :(

• 2 weeks later...

So, it looking like Weds, May 5 will be just right. 

Gonna leave more like around 8am. 

The route is gonna be down 101 to 152 East. Thats it so far. I do plan to go in one way and out another just not sure which ways. There 120, 140 and 41.

There is a entry fee of 30 bucks......yeah I know, but so what. It just might be worth it. 

Gonna be fun....

duckie, I'll have to miss this one but I'm sure it will be terrific. Have a great ride!  Eating lunch in the meadow across the street from El Cap is pretty special. Bring binoculars to watch the climbers up on the face.

No worries, theres plenty of other times to ride.

This ride should be interesting.....not use to going to a major tourist spot.

FWIW.....Im in the planning stage to do a trip up North to ride 36 and 96 and 3 and a few other choice roads in the area. 

All I know right now is that it will happen after Memorial day. 

Im taking my camera......it has  24 to 3000 zoom lens on it....now I just got to remember to stop and use it....

Edited by duckie

• Supporting Member

aww hell yeah!!  Looks like paradise

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

All three falls, Ribbon, Bridalveil , Yosmite, were flowing nicely, the Merced river was flowing just as nice. 

Temp was 84. It was busy but not crowed. 

The first pic is Yosemite falls.

The second is the view you see when exiting the Wawona tunnel.  

The only traffic was a result from tree cutting and road work. Over all traffic was very light.....but then again that was also because of the Tracer power......I make my own passing lanes.

Now the real treat was 140 heading out of the valley. It follows the Merced river and is quite a flowing road. The road surface was outstanding leaving the valley. It was amazing to see the size of Merced river increasing as I went downhill. 

41 is more like a mountain pass type road. Its road surface was quite well also. 

Im going again.......soon..hint, hint..got a Senior pass for 20 bucks that covers entry into national parks and such. 

I got more pics on my camera. These are off my phone. 

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 2