2020 GT: a pleasant and convenient discovery

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Warchild said:

The lamps are fed by a single 10-amp circuit (position # 2, switched), using 16gauge cable all the way to the Bosch mini-relay input. The signal wire source is piggybacked off that 16g cable...

Makes sense, thank you. I didn't piggyback my signal wire, but that may change if I add any more farkles. Currently every circuit in my Fuzeblock is full. 

• Thumbsup 1

So, just for reference, my 2019 maintains 13.8v+ when all these are active even at idle:

• Heated jacket and gloves on high
  • RGB LED strips (6, throughout the bike)
  • Heated helmet visor
  • LED light bar (8 led flood) 
  • Wireless charging pad, fast charging my S10+
  • Stock heated grips on high

So... Yeah.  It's fine.  The Tracer's electrical system is pretty sturdy. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

A question if I may:  I'd like to be able to run my Aerostitch heated vest from the accessory port to the left of the dash on my 2017 FJ-09.  Problem is that it's only a 2amp fused circuit (found out the hard way, duh).  Is there a way, or does anyone know, how to determine the gauge of the wire for that circuit?  I'm thinking if it's sufficient (research says 16G, then I could install a 10 amp fuse and I'd be set with a switched outlet that I can plug the vest into.

Tom

1 hour ago, banditryder said:

A question if I may:  I'd like to be able to run my Aerostitch heated vest from the accessory port to the left of the dash on my 2017 FJ-09.  Problem is that it's only a 2amp fused circuit (found out the hard way, duh).  Is there a way, or does anyone know, how to determine the gauge of the wire for that circuit?  I'm thinking if it's sufficient (research says 16G, then I could install a 10 amp fuse and I'd be set with a switched outlet that I can plug the vest into.

Tom

I dunno, Tom, I am really hard pressed to think those wires are 16-gauge. Perhaps in your 2017 model - they definitely were not on my 2020 GT version. They actually look pretty small - possibly 20-gauge, maybe 18 gauge. Not sure I would risk it, myself. Were I in your shoes, I'd run a dedicated circuit for the heated clothing, and then you would *know* the wire gauge is 16ga (assuming you use that), and then leave that existing factory port for more lightweight duties - cell charger, etc.

In fact, that is what I am doing in this picture: the coiled, zip-tied 16-gauge red wire I have left near (above) my  relay for the Aux Lamps will be powering my Warm-n-Safe liner socket, when I get to that point in my electrical mods:

FinalBosch.thumb.jpg.a089bb825b3d7e82d1bffdb4545b9a71.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, banditryder said:

I think it was 18ga on my bike. Ampacity of that wire may be good for 10A over a short length, but the amp budget of wiring/systems upstream is important. If you're not using both accessory circuits (one is unused from factory), then I would say you can go 4-5A on the one. 10A would be a stretch IMO.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Thank you. The draw on the vest is 3.3 amps. I have both of the accessory ports installed so I think I'll try a 5amp fuse on the left port (easiest reach with the coiled cord and the cigarette lighter plug) and see if that works.  Leave the 2amp for the right port for GPS/Phone charging.  Probably hard wire the GPS to the third plug behind the dash, as I think about it. 

Thanks to Warchild and Piotek. Proceeding cautiously.  On reflection, I'll just take the tank off (ordered service manual) and run a 16ga wire from my fuseblock under the seat.