Anyone that can rebuild JRI Shocks?

bwringer

My 2015 FJ-09 came to me with a very pretty JRI shock installed in 2016.

It's not leaking, but I think it needs service, and the damping adjustment seems to be stuck on "log truck". The adjuster moves fine, but the damping never changes. The bike is nearly un-ridable with the rear end skipping and chattering around.

Fortunately, it also came with the stock shock, so I can ride it. The stock shock definitely could be better, but it's safe and works well enough for the moment.

Anyway, I finally got through to JRI and it turns out they haven't sold or serviced these shocks since 2018. So poop and other words.

Anyone know of a US shop that might be able to take a crack at it, at least cheaper than buying a new shock?

I'll contact Computrac in Boston and Sasquatch in Idaho.

New options in the US seem to range from $650 to $1,400... that's a bit of a yikes, so I'm not in a hurry to give up on this JRI shock just yet.

I'm rather disappointed; the upgraded shock was an important factor in deciding to buy this particular bike. I'm not exactly pleased with the previous owner; he surely knew that something was wrong with the shock. Caveat emptor and all that.

Mmmkay, did some more digging, and it appears Computrac in Boston can indeed service JRI shocks. I'm guessing they inherited the parts and information from JRI. The folks at JRI weren't sure Computrac would still work on their shocks, but I got a prompt and friendly reply from the owner when I asked.

My shock is on the way east and I'll report back on the outcome!

• 4 weeks later...

Part of the promised report.... Pete at Computrac in Boston was able to get the shock sorted out, and I have the now fully serviced, resprung, and correctly calibrated JRI shock in hand.

$270 all in and on my doorstep, which seemed reasonable. That included a new spring in a slightly higher rate to suit my displacement.

Sadly, it'll be several more days before I can install it and perform a proper assessment. I reinstalled the stock shock while I was waiting, and although it ain't bad, it sure ain't great. This bike definitely deserves better suspension.

The original owner had had work done on the front end, but had no idea what work had been performed. After getting the chance to push the bike a bit more lately, I believe I'll start with fresh springs; it's close, but I can at least tell I need a slightly higher spring rate.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update if anyone cares: the Computrac-rebuilt JRI shock has now had well over a thousand miles of merciless flogging, and it works beautifully.

The shock does sort of beat me up plonking to work on crappy city streets in 40mph traffic... but wick up the pace on back roads and the firm spring and well-controlled damping work beautifully.

Next up: Sonic fork springs in the proper straight rate are on my bench and likely will be installed this weekend. With the rear sorted out, it's even more obvious the front end needs more spring and a little fine-tuning.

There's too much brake dive and chassis pitching in and out of corners. Even with preload cranked in to get sag in the ballpark, the spring rate is too low. And who knows when the fork oil was changed, if ever.

The PO said that a shop had worked on the fork, but he had no idea what had been done.

• Thumbsup 1