Heated Grips

Has anyone installed or seen the heated grips on person.  I am wondering if they have a larger diameter than the stock grips.  If they are bigger, then I will have to go after-market.  If they are the same size I can order a set from Yamaha.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now I am looking at wiring up an aftermarket kit like I've done before.  The cost os more like $50 and some time, vs $284 from Yamaha.  Has anyone found the connector for the factory heated grip kit?  I am looking for a good circuit to pull power from.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

Anyone have any experience with a Super Tenere? I would think as the FJ uses the same gauges, that the heated grips would be a plug-n-play and show on the gauge the level of heat like a ST?

On my FJR, you can have 3 different preset heat levels.

Not crazy on the option cost of the heated grips.

Still think Yamaha should come out with a FJ-09 Touring model including the heated grips, saddle bags and cruise control.

The price ($284) was just too high for me so I reused the grip heater elements, rheostat controller and relay (switched by the tail light circuit) from my Tiger 1050.  The only part I need to buy is a throttle grip assembly ($30) and I'll be set.  I like these kinds of projects and I have plenty of time due to the weather.  This also saves a few bucks to put toward brakes & suspension later on.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member

Here is the part number for the OEM grip heaters if anybody is interested: 2PP-H29A0-V0-00
$227.19 from the link below.

link

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Anyone have any experience with a Super Tenere? I would think as the FJ uses the same gauges, that the heated grips would be a plug-n-play and show on the gauge the level of heat like a ST? 
On my FJR, you can have 3 different preset heat levels.

Not crazy on the option cost of the heated grips.

Still think Yamaha should come out with a FJ-09 Touring model including the heated grips, saddle bags and cruise control.
I have a 2013 Super tenere. The new FJ-09 gauges are virtually the same as the 2014 and 2015 Super Tenere, not my '13 or earlier. I agree with the fact that Yamaha should have included Cruise control on the FJ, stupid mistake. Heated grips and bags are not a deal breaker since there are many aftermarket options, lack of cruise is very foolish as it's a low cost item for Yamaha. With fly by wire it's only a few hardware pieces and the software program to run it all is virtually free as per the latest FJR1300.

I fitted an amazing local cruise control setup to my Tenere but it was expensive at about $1200.00 I'm in Australia and in my city we have a cruis control setup called MCC (Motorcycle Cruise Control) which works exactly like the latest car versions. It's actually worth every dollar. Then of course one year later Yamaha makes it standard on the new '14 Tenere. This is the type of drip feeding updates they seem to use to wet the appetites of next generation buyers. Frankly, it's wrong and I believe counter productive.

Those of you out there who have never had a bike with a proper cruise control have no idea what they are missing. Particularly when you need to slab it for long distances. The difference is a huge reduction in rider fatigue, cramped hands and means you can do more miles in the day comfortably if you need to.

I'm ready to buy an FJ-09 (MT-09 Tracer here) when they arrive in February/March 2015 but I'm really considering waiting till they make cruise control standard on these bikes. There is no doubt it will filter its way onto this bike as consumer sentiment forces their hand. Suggest everyone lobby Yamaha directly.

Sam

Sam

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
I ordered mine in the UK in February. I phoned to book my bike in for the 6000 mile service and the dealer has a set waiting for me. They will get fitted when I have the service as the UK price includes fitting.

Phone your dealer to ensure they are putting a set aside for you.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Sorry for kicking an old thread up, but has anyone received their Yamaha heated grips ? I ordered mine back when I bought the bike in May and still haven't received them three months later...
I ordered mine in March. They came in about 2 weeks ago.

I ordered mine from my local accessory shop (not dealer) where I used to work and they came in within two weeks. Thats a fresh order not a backorder that came in. I don't think they are in tha short supply if I got mine that quickly! Fitted them myself in about 30 mins.

• Premium Member
<-- Ordered (and paid for) in May, still backordered. >:(
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived