Heated Grips

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my grip heaters installed 3 weeks ago and had the opportunity to use them a week ago. On the "1" position they were fine, but not enough heat for that day, so I change to the "2" position. It was feeling pretty good just riding along in northern New Hampshire, but I noticed that the throttle was not returning back to closed whenever I released it. It concerned me, especially in "a" mode. I turned off the grip heaters and after cooling, throttle closure was normal. Did anyone else have this happen with the standard grip haters? The bike will go back to the shop as soon as I can schedule it.

• Premium Member
I got my grip heaters installed 3 weeks ago and had the opportunity to use them a week ago. On the "1" position they were fine, but not enough heat for that day, so I change to the "2" position. It was feeling pretty good just riding along in northern New Hampshire, but I noticed that the throttle was not returning back to closed whenever I released it. It concerned me, especially in "a" mode. I turned off the grip heaters and after cooling, throttle closure was normal. Did anyone else have this happen with the standard grip haters? The bike will go back to the shop as soon as I can schedule it.
this used to happen on my R1150GS - it will be the bar end done up too tight. Best thing to do is get the grip good and hot, release the bar end and do up until it is tight enough but not applying friction to the expanded grip. If you cant get the bar end tight enough to stop it unwinding then fit a washer to stop the handguard applying pressure on the grip. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I would guess you need to loosen the throttle cable slack (plastic nut and adjuster under a rubber boot about 4 inches from the throttle). Just did Ty's grips, and had to do the same adjustment. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I would guess you need to loosen the throttle cable slack (plastic nut and adjuster under a rubber boot about 4 inches from the throttle). Just did Ty's grips, and had to do the same adjustment.
Yes, tried them out on the way home, so binding at all, even when hot. Ulewz is the man!

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Just an FYI, you probably know this, but you can fine tune the 3 presets individually to a value of one to 10 in the menu.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Yes, tried them out on the way home, so binding at all, even when hot. Ulewz is the man! 
Ty

Road trip to CA! (still haven't installed my heated grips yet.)
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Ty

Road trip to CA! (still haven't installed my heated grips yet.)
Come on down. We have no water, but hey, it is hot. It takes about an hour if you know what you are doing. For me, make it two hours right Ty? We can flash your ECU while you are here. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks Wessie and ULEWZ for your suggestions for getting the throttle to return to zero after grip heaters are hot. I tried Wessie's solution first to no avail. I could take the bar end bolt completely off with no release of the throttle. I physically pulled the bar end back to no avail. Sharply hitting the handlebar would release it. Next I tried ULEWZ's solution. There was very little slack to begin with, so I backed off giving some slack. No change. I continued removing slack until I had way too much slack, and still no change. I checked the inboard end of the throttle where the large plastic spacer is and it looks fine.
I am going to call the dealer to see if they have had this issue before and probably take the bike in. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

• Premium Member
Thanks Wessie and ULEWZ for your suggestions for getting the throttle to return to zero after grip heaters are hot. I tried Wessie's solution first to no avail. I could take the bar end bolt completely off with no release of the throttle. I physically pulled the bar end back to no avail. Sharply hitting the handlebar would release it. Next I tried ULEWZ's solution. There was very little slack to begin with, so I backed off giving some slack. No change. I continued removing slack until I had way too much slack, and still no change. I checked the inboard end of the throttle where the large plastic spacer is and it looks fine. I am going to call the dealer to see if they have had this issue before and probably take the bike in. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Take the cap off the top of your throttle tube cover and take a picture so we can all see if it is installed with no interference. Maybe it is binding? Something is keeping it from returning to zero, and I would guess something is binding. With the engine running, turn the bars from lock to lock and see if the rpm goes up.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

~ candyred, Sep 5, 2015 at 4:07pm
this used to happen on my R1150GS - it will be the bar end done up too tight. Best thing to do is get the grip good and hot, release the bar end and do up until it is tight enough but not applying friction to the expanded grip. If you cant get the bar end tight enough to stop it unwinding then fit a washer to stop the hand guard applying pressure on the grip.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/104/heated-grips?page=3#ixzz3lG10yj00

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:02pm

Back to Forums ReplyQuote like

Post Options

Post by quicksilver on Sep 7, 2015 at 12:02pm

Installation instructions indicate one is to press the coated grip warmer wires into the wire guide then use silicone grease. I suspect this lubrication allows the coiled wire to coil and uncoil as it lengthens and contracts during heating cycles. Good luck.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/104/heated-grips?page=3#ixzz3lG1h6JeX

I took the throttle cover off to inspect the cable routings. All looked OK. Touching the throttle cables both upper and lower were dry, no silicone grease. I lube them and reassembled, turned the heaters on to "2," and got them good and hot. SUCCESS! No throttle sticking! Many thanks to each of you that gave recommendations to address this issue. This is a great forum!

Archived