Heated Grips

Essentially what is happening is the aluminum handle bars are acting as a heat sink and pulling heat away from the left grip. The right grip is on a plastic throttle tube which insulates very well so the heat stays in the right grip. This is why they even out after being on for a long time. It brings the bar temperature up to the left grip temperature so there's less heat transfer.
Does this happen to Oxford heated grips too?
Mine heat fast and evenly. Never had an issue. Extremely satisfied customer. Glad I didn't wait and spend money on the OEM heated grips.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One shade-tree fix for uneven heating is to add a single layer of electrical tape (wind on the diagonal so no overlapping) on the left. I got the bar wet, added a couple thin beads of Gorilla Grip and the left went on with just a bit of twisting and shoving on the last 1/2". 

On the right, I couldn't figure out how to unfasten the plastic rivet that clips the fairing to the radiator, so I carefully destroyed it and ordered another from Yamaha for $2. Once I scanned and blew up the instructions to a readable size it was all very easy. A magnetic screwdriver definitely helps getting the set screw into the cable guide. 

Cant argue with plug-n-play integration, to say nothing of glorious, plentiful HEAT!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Wondering if I've got an issue with newly installed grip heaters ..  

Do you guys with the Yamaha units find that the heat drops off when cruising at lower rpm?  It would make sense that the alternator needs revs to keep up with the higher electrical load, but mine go cold unless I'm running 6k or above...  

• Premium Member
Do you guys with the Yamaha units find that the heat drops off when cruising at lower rpm?  It would make sense that the alternator needs revs to keep up with the higher electrical load, but mine go cold unless I'm running 6k or above...  

I wouldn't say mine go cold but I can definitely notice an increase in heat when I increase the rpms

• Premium Member
Mine stay HOT all the time and I never run at 6000 rpm or above constantly riding down the rode. More like 4k-4.8k rpm. I'm also powering an electric jacket liner and gloves. The FJ-09 AC magneto is rated for 14.0V, 415W @5000rpm. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I'd get yours checked out. That doesn't sound right to me.

While I only have one ride on them (3 hours though), I did use them at a wide range of speeds/rpm and did not notice any real difference. I did think that I had a spike in heating when accelerating, but wasn't sure if I just wasn't holding the grips tighter and get more heat.

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
I have not noticed any problem and I was riding with heated grips & heated vest for 3 hours last weekend.  
I had a digital voltmeter plugged into the accessory socket so that I could monitor the alternator output at different loads & revs. I was impressed that the voltage remained pretty constant at 14.5-14.6, even at tickover so the regulator circuitry is pretty good. 

Check your battery connections and battery voltage. If the battery is low then top it up. If you have being doing short trips and the battery is low on charge then it might be sinking a lot of current. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have not noticed any problem and I was riding with heated grips & heated vest for 3 hours last weekend.  
I had a digital voltmeter plugged into the accessory socket so that I could monitor the alternator output at different loads & revs. I was impressed that the voltage remained pretty constant at 14.5-14.6, even at tickover so the regulator circuitry is pretty good. 

Check your battery connections and battery voltage. If the battery is low then top it up. If you have being doing short trips and the battery is low on charge then it might be sinking a lot of current. 

Good information and advise. I'll get a digital voltmeter this weekend and also check battery connection. Everything should be charged up as my commute is 20 miles and observed this the first time on a 80 mile ride.  If all checks out ok I'm going back to the dealer so they can check it out.  
Thanks all!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I love how there are three configurable settings. Awesome. 
After reading a post from redfjniner, I set mine to 2 4 6. Works great. It was pretty warm out today (although wet) and I think even 2 3 4 would have been great.

It seems like in their wisdom yamaha doesn't let you choose less than 5 for the high setting. So my next try on warm days was 3 4 5. 2 isn't quite enough so I tend lately to bounce between 3 and 4.

I was concerned with all the discussion about how the right grip is warmer than left, but so far after a few minutes I can't feel enough difference to think about. I'm really glad I went with the OEM setup.

Archived