Clutch cable rubs on ignition wiring

• Premium Member

During a nice but brisk ride this morning I discovered my heated jacket liner didn't work. Back home I started to troubleshoot this, and discovered something slightly alarming: It appears my clutch cable has been rubbing on the wiring harness connected to the bottom of the ignition key switch.

2021_0425_13111200.thumb.jpg.c44c83cb6b7249783902f0565fb58e30.jpg

Here you can see how the clutch cable has rubbed the black finish off the ignition switch housing, and it appears to have abraded the sheath on the wiring harness. Note the exposed wiring showing through the sheathing. The wires and insulation appear to be okay, but turning the handlebars back and forth confirmed that the clutch cable does rub the wiring harness at full left steering lock.

2021_0425_13121800.thumb.jpg.68db9643be5941224e03e5d71fc228c5.jpg

To resolve this issue, I wrapped a heavy duty zip tie loosely around the clutch cable and part of the triple clamp. I turned the steering lock to lock a few times and confirmed that nothing interferes or is restricted.

2021_0425_13162600.thumb.jpg.2de1a7a67bae980c64383e62a097cc3e.jpg

As you can see I have the new style of clutch cable. I believe it's routed correctly, but I'm open to other opinions about that. 

Next time you have your bodywork off, I advise you to inspect the ignition wiring to ensure the clutch cable isn't damaging it.

Here's an obligatory shot from my ride this morning.

2021_0425_11253400.thumb.jpg.f1413cea3ed1331be2f5e38452940519.jpg
I don't know what that bright yellow stuff is, but I've seen it in a few fields around the Willamette Valley this week.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Scoti said:

That yellow stuff would be Canola (used in margarines  and cooking oils ) ,or daisy weeds used for nothing .

Interesting, I didn't know anyone was growing canola around here. I thought all that stuff came from Canada.

2 hours ago, keithu said:

Good info. I should have noted that mine is a 2015 model. 

No problem I’m the idiot didn’t see that part lol either way I’m always grateful for little detailed things like this. My 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 had a issue with rubbing on the clutch cable against a sharp top edge of the radiator. Zip tie solves that issue. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, keithu said:

Interesting, I didn't know anyone was growing canola around here. I thought all that stuff came from Canada.

Can't blame us for all of it.  A fair bit grown in the US.  ; )

Map-U.S.-Canola-Growing-Regions.png

Edited by Heavy

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.