• Supporting Member

Comparison of the stock GT OEM windscreens and the Givi D2144ST side by side and overlaid on top of one another for size reference purposes. 

5ACC09FE-6326-4F0E-831D-FC27F18AB74F.jpeg

68D84A47-4646-4767-B18A-04708BE111D8.jpeg

99A752B9-EFAD-4BC6-A074-DBE445FA6F2B.jpeg

84210711-BEA8-4985-8E22-E43D417A6651.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, TennesseeSmith said:

I put a California Scientific screen on my Niken a couple of years ago. It shakes a bit in the wind, but I like it better than the screen that came on the bike.

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

Oh wow, you're the first rider I've heard of worldwide that actually has one of these California Scientific screens. A few questions for you that I've been dying to ask someone that actually has one please:

a. how's the buffeting for the rider and pillion with the screen?

b. Which size did you get since they make multiple sizes?

c. Does that big port for air down at the bottom become unusually problematic when it's cold outside (e.g. <60 degrees F) or when it rains?

d. Does the windscreen utilize stock mounting points on the GT? 

e. How thick is the acrylic used?

2019 Niken GT

a. Buffeting is not bad for me. I've never carried a passenger on the bike.

b. I'll dig out the invoice tonight to see what size it is.

c. The port really helps to smooth the airflow. I rode in rain yesterday and it was not an issue. I've ridden this bike down to about 10 degrees F (-12 C) and the only part of me that got annoyingly cold was my knees. 

d. Yes. It uses the same mount points as the stock windshield.

e. I'll have to measure it tonight. It's thinner than any other screen I've ever bought.

Whenever I buy a new bike I budget an extra $500 to figure out a good windshield. This one came in way under budget. I was happy with the first screen I bought.

Overall, I recommend this screen. The biggest oddity is that California Scientific screens are made in Missouri. They discuss their theory of airflow on their website. They seem to know what they're doing. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 8/10/2021 at 11:03 PM, maximNikenGT said:

Need some help please. Anyone have any suggestions on how to safely disconnect these connectors? They're putting up one hell of a fight - must be some techniques or tool to separate it safely. 

Have to disconnect this in order to remove the OEM GT windscreen mounting bracket. 

4F47E6E1-F349-44F2-99D6-D1D8F414A118.jpeg

92EBAAA4-F590-429C-9659-542A8E66B451.jpeg

B88D32D2-B78E-46C6-9FEE-B061B686A290.jpeg

E70E4486-E8EC-41A2-A1D9-22C618D79F8E.jpeg

80EC8BD7-26FE-4F29-893B-0315A403FBDD.jpeg

5ADEC46C-DDA2-4D05-8768-5D91F9F8D818.jpeg

Flat head screwdriver under all three points in order to wedge off the connector. Finally got this connector to separate. 

E0BD1150-8DCC-4AD1-BDC4-6D9295136E6F.jpeg

43AAD530-F247-476E-AB85-56849B34D97A.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Stock OEM GT screen brackets vs Givi D2143KIT (mounted on bike) needed to mount the D2144ST windscreen. 

80A7D633-4588-4859-AE30-3470DED89A74.jpeg

628E4C5D-C1F2-4E88-990E-CDE0E480AA0A.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Installed the Givi D2144ST windscreen. Two key points during installation :

1. The mounting bracket comes with a set of four white plastic washers that should go between the  front metal washer  and the wind screen itself to minimize damage to the wind screen when you torque down the bolts to the nuts. 

2. When mounting the windscreen to the mounting brackets, start with the top bolts first so you can free both hands when doing the bottom bolts. The bottom bolts have one extra set of circular bolt spacers between the back side of the windscreen and before the bracket itself. This is horribly difficult to keep the pieces from dropping into the front fairing and not drop the washer along the back side when trying to mount it. This is compounded by the fact that there is limited room on the backside to work with. 

Initial thoughts :

Mounted screen is solidly built with much more front coverage area. Remains to be seen whether this results in less wind buffeting. Will see when the thunderstorms finally clear. 

2C00759D-DF4F-479F-B77C-C5501756748C.jpeg

31B9C045-9637-42B6-A181-018E0B9B4295.jpeg

A8621001-BEB6-4C9A-8544-23B46040966A.jpeg

09F98F2C-D038-4623-8774-63B77157E4F1.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

10/4/21 update: can confirm based upon my recent trip to Italy and the prevalence of Givi windscreens on most forms of Italian two wheeled transport in that the folks at Givi clearly designed their windscreen with an Italian outlook and usage in mind e.g. having max wind / bug protection and to make their daily rides much easier to hop on to the bike in street clothes and get to where you're at without too much fuss and with using an open face or modular helmet design. Definitely not normally a full faced helmet user in mind. 

Finally got a chance to take the Niken out for a quick test run with the new Givi D2144ST windscreen. Note: I'm 6 foot / 183 cm tall. 

Initial thoughts:

Pros:

• much quieter air pocket than stock Niken GT windscreen up to about 50mph. It's so quiet that I can leave my visor on my Schuberth C3 Pro open and not really worry about bugs flying into my eyes. 
  • buffeting is that much more noticeable once you go above 50mph, but I don't think it's more buffeting vs. stock GT screen, it's just more pronounced going from the silence of the bubble to the buffeting making itself known once a certain speed is hit. I believe in comparison to the stock GT screen, overall buffeting of the helmet is less (certainly up to 50mph / 80kph), and from 50-70 mph / 80-113 kph buffeting appears to be less pronounced compared to OEM. 
  • at speeds above 45 mph / 73 kph, the wind coming around the sides of the windscreen is more pronounced and gives a nice cooling effect to the upper arms and body that I wasn't feeling until I hit higher speeds. Very nice during summertime evening rides.

Cons:

• The windscreen does almost too good of a job protecting the rider from the elements at the expense of not allowing the wind to cool down the rider at speed. I'm not really worried about bugs hitting my helmet visor anymore with the Givi screen. 
  • The windscreen is so high that it blocks the air vent located in my helmet's chin so I'm not getting any cooling wind through the bottom. As a result, my Schuberth C3 Pro helmet feels a lot hotter. This might be addressable with using a higher airflow helmet for summer, or using a half / open face helmet. 
  • You feel the additional amount of effort that the Niken is doing to push such a big windscreen through the air. I was riding at 70 mph / 113 kph adjacent and behind an 18 wheeler at in the other lane and I could feel the wake of the 18 wheeler's air exert enough of its pressure on the Givi windscreen. While it didn't force the bike to the side from the wind, I did have to pay attention to my grip on my handlebars to keep it steady. 

Additional Thoughts:

Givi appeared to engineer this windscreen based upon their expertise in scooter windscreen designs in that the D2144ST absolutely does a fantastic job in terms of protecting the rider from the elements e.g. bugs, wind, rain, debris...) in comparison to the stock screen up to normal scooter speeds (<50 mph / 80 kph). As such, if you use the Niken as more of runabout, or use it for a quick run to the grocery store in a half helmet, t shirt and jeans, then this screen makes it a little easier to hop on and brave the elements for a quick run. I think this Givi screen is actually ideal for those that prefer riding with a half or open face helmet. I personally always ATGATT but I could see riders using this screen with that kind of use case. 

For the longer distance or commuting rider, I would only recommend this windscreen specifically for colder months since the windscreen does too good of a job protecting the rider from the elements. The additional heat retention would be welcome under those conditions. I would only get this screen for riding in the desert AT NIGHT. Otherwise you may sweat to death behind this screen if trying to ride through the desert during the day with very little wind to cool you down. Now I know why adjustable windscreens on the BMW K1600s , Honda Goldwings, and BMW R1250RTs are so popular. You at least have some ability to adjust wind protection based upon ambient conditions and it actually makes the bike more versatile as a result. 

For me personally, this screen is optimal for long distance riding in colder temperatures (<65 degrees F / 18 C) where there's less wind to chill the rider.  To run this screen every day in the late spring / summer time of North Carolina would just be too hot for me personally unless I went with a half or open face helmet. 

Edited by maximNikenGT
updated with Italian observations

2019 Niken GT

• 2 weeks later...

I also fitted the puig screen with small deflector attached.My findings  are  it does a better job than the original gt screen,defiantly less wind noise and my pillion agrees.However it's not the perfect bubble and you can feel more air pressure on the outside of the shoulder area. That said you can get great fresh air into your lid without buffering .Cruising at 3 digit speeds is far better and feels less drag effect over standard .I will however be fitting spacers to the top screen bolts to tune of in better .

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

10/19/21 update on Givi windscreen. Took the GT out for its first chilly ride where temperatures are below 60 degrees F / 16 degrees Celsius.  

My body stayed pretty warm behind the Givi compared to stock screen and I was surprised that even as temperatures dipped to 55 degrees F / 13 degrees C that I was still ok behind this screen while wearing full Aerostich suit and with a small fleece jacket and shorts as an inner layer. 

The Givi screen will be too hot for North Carolina summers because of its massive wind protection but when temperatures drop it's fantastic for extending the riding time  during colder days. You'll stay warmer longer, may not need to bulk up on warmer clothing with your riding kit and I would highly recommend this screen when temperatures drop below 60 degrees F / 16 degrees C.

2019 Niken GT