• Supporting Member

1/9/22 update on Givi windscreen. Temperatures have dropped into the low 40s degree F / ~4 degrees Celsius and took the GT out for a spin. With heated vest on was nice and comfy with the wind protection of the Givi. Have to say I'm super glad I got it when it's this cold out. Only weakness is that while my hands are protected from the wind by SW Motech Kobra handguards with extensions that the section between my lower arm to shoulders is feeling heat loss from the wind at speed. Am getting some fleece windblocking sleeves that will zip to my Aerostich Kanetsu heated vest to address this. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

11 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Do you not have the heated seat/grips?

1/9/22 update on Givi windscreen. Temperatures have dropped into the low 40s degree F / ~4 degrees Celsius and took the GT out for a spin. With heated vest on was nice and comfy with the wind protection of the Givi. Have to say I'm super glad I got it when it's this cold out. Only weakness is that while my hands are protected from the wind by SW Motech Kobra handguards with extensions that the section between my lower arm to shoulders is feeling heat loss from the wind at speed. Am getting some fleece windblocking sleeves that will zip to my Aerostich Kanetsu heated vest to address this. 

• Supporting Member

My GT has the heated grips, but not the heated seat option. I have been looking at these aftermarket heating elements that one can add to their existing seats but I'm not too confident in my ability to reupholster the seat back to normal after putting it on.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Carbon-Heater-Warmer-High-Low/dp/B084YXXM2P/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1KV19GP6AWOVN&keywords=heated+seat+for+motorcycle&qid=1641735725&sprefix=heated+seat+for+motorcycle%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-2

At any rate, my bottom half is not cold with the heated vest doing its thing and the windblocking capabilities of my Aerostich suit. I can't believe I had rode motorcycles for as many years as I did without a heated vest. Definitely worth it as a game changer for extending your riding season. 

2019 Niken GT

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Was looking to see if Puig had released any new screens for the Niken and stumbled across an aerodynamic analysis of the non-GT screen compared to the touring screen they released. Interesting summary of how their windscreen compares in airflow analysis vs. the non-GT stock screen.

Looks like it was intentional in their computational flow dynamics of the touring screen to channel cooling air to your helmet so you don't roast to death from lack of airflow behind their screens. NOTE: the test was conducted at 94 mph. 

ESTUDI_AERODINAMIC_PRINT_REF2385 (puigusa.com) 

puig_aero_test_2022-01-25_22-41-28.jpg

They even have a Youtube video of the simulation:

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 9/6/2021 at 2:27 PM, Ferrett847 said:

I also fitted the puig screen with small deflector attached.My findings  are  it does a better job than the original gt screen,defiantly less wind noise and my pillion agrees.However it's not the perfect bubble and you can feel more air pressure on the outside of the shoulder area. That said you can get great fresh air into your lid without buffering .Cruising at 3 digit speeds is far better and feels less drag effect over standard .I will however be fitting spacers to the top screen bolts to tune of in better .

How tall are you for reference purposes? 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ferrett847 said:

5ft9 inches

Perfect - exactly the same as the airflow simulation from Puig. 

2019 Niken GT

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my first post I believe.

I have owned a used Niken GT since November. I live in the Uk so high temperatures are not very common here.

I fitted the tall Givi screen today and went for a 120 miles ride to test the difference for me (5ft 9inch). 

It was a cool day 6c to 9c with wind gusts of 24 mph.

In recent weeks we have had very blustery conditions so I was pleased find the screen is a major improvement for me with virtually no buffeting and much quieter (with and without ear plugs and Schuberth C4 pro carbon).

I did experience the wind pressure when large trucks passed from the opposite direction but it wasn’t a serious issue.

The screen will be staying on in the cooler months and it can be switched very quickly using the 4 screws.

As I have the GT I only needed to buy the screen and not the fitting kit.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, GerryD said:

Hi, my first post I believe.

I have owned a used Niken GT since November. I live in the Uk so high temperatures are not very common here.

I fitted the tall Givi screen today and went for a 120 miles ride to test the difference for me (5ft 9inch). 

It was a cool day 6c to 9c with wind gusts of 24 mph.

In recent weeks we have had very blustery conditions so I was pleased find the screen is a major improvement for me with virtually no buffeting and much quieter (with and without ear plugs and Schuberth C4 pro carbon).

I did experience the wind pressure when large trucks passed from the opposite direction but it wasn’t a serious issue.

The screen will be staying on in the cooler months and it can be switched very quickly using the 4 screws.

As I have the GT I only needed to buy the screen and not the fitting kit.

Welcome! So you were able to mount the Givi tall screen on the stock factory GT mounts without drilling any holes in the Givi screen? 

2019 Niken GT

• 2 months later...

I'm considering the Ermax sport screen but I have the GT. I know there's some modifications needed on the fitting brackets, but is it something I can do myself or do I need to buy some parts? I can't seem to find any place that sells any parts that's meant to convert a GT to fit non-GT screens. 

You will need the Yamaha screen fittings from a standard Niken.

Screen manufacturers do not need to manufacture brackets when their screens fit original fittings.

• Thumbsup 1