• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, KellyL said:

@NikenSwe the part number for the non-GT low screen bracket is BD5-2831T-00-00. Mounting screws are 90150-05024-00, rubber rivnut 90179-05003-00. Short screen BD5-28381-00-00.

The low bracket attaches to the bike using the same 4 bolts as the tall screen bracket.

Thank you! I installed the new screen yesterday. Haven't tried it yet. If it still doesn't work I'll look into getting these parts. 

• Thumbsup 1

So bad news unfortunately, for me. Just did a 4 hour ride with the screen from Powerbronze and it was horrible. I am 175 cm and this screen creates, although narrower than stock screen, an area of intense wind buffeting straight into my face. If I hunch down just a tiny bit it becomes silent and nice and if I stand up a little it becomes an even flow of crisp air. If I could just adjust the angle a little I might get it to work. Can you install rubber washers or something between the top or bottom screws and the screen? 

The screen looks really good though. To clarify, it's the Adventure Sports screen. 

https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/yamaha-niken-gt-18-21-345-mm-high-460-y110.html

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

It's interesting just how difficult it is for riders to get the screen adjusted so that they either get clean airflow with no buffeting/noise or zero airflow where they are shielded from the wind. It's a combination of Niken ergonomics for various height riders as well as aerodynamics of the windscreen. Makes me wonder whether an adjustable screen mount is available or can be made similar to the Ducati Multistrada adjustable mechanism.

ducati_multistrada_adj_windscreen.jpg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

Been trying out different spacers in different positions. So far by far the best results was adding a few mm spacers on the upper screws on the stock GT screen. Still turbulent air but it hits only the top of my helmet. 

Since I can't get any kind of reasonable airflow with the other screen I'm going to try and cut off a few centimeters from it and see if I can at least get some clean non-turbulent air that way. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Purchased and installed the Powerbronze 555mm Touring Flip screen SKU 420-Y153. It replaces the stock GT screen with no additional hardware. Just remove the four bolts that keep the stock screen on and reuse them to install the new screen in about 15 minutes. I didn't like the stock GT screen for the turbulence it produced and had attached a wind deflector which made a difference, it was still a little noisy but definitely an improvement. The Flip screen from Powerbronze further reduces the turbulence but still is not perfect. I will have to look at adding spacers to the top bolts to see if I can vary the angle and gain further improvement. It is rather inexpensive (compared to other options) and delivery from England to the USA was just a few days. I'm sure a riders height makes all the difference with screens so for reference I am 5"9". The last pic shows the stock screen with wind deflector over the Powerbronze. 6" longer than stock or an additional 3" over the deflector. Powerbronze are good to work with, in the past they promptly refunded me for a product that didn't work as I intended no questions asked. 

Powerbronze Niken Flip

PB Screen 2.jpg

PB Screen 1.jpg

PowerBronze Over Stock.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Made an adjustment to my Powerbronze Flip screen today and I believe this may be as good as it gets. I was considering adding spacers to tip the top of the screen out to direct the air higher. However I removed the lower screws and loosened the two top screws that hold the screen frame in place. This allowed me to tilt the top of the screen out. I put the lower screws back in and while they are not in holes, they are in the frame cut out and are secure. Immediately the engine was louder and I had no turbulance around my head. I had some air on my upper arms but it was a constant flow and again no turbulance. I took it up to 80 on the highway and it felt great. For reference I am 5'9'' with a 29" inseam, so I have a long torso. Now my line of sight is just below the top of the screen. If I sit up really straight I am looking over it. For 98 english pounds this screen is great value and is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock GT screen. I will probably add larger washers to the lower screws, or find something else to tidy it up.

Edit: With the screen adjusted as shown in the pic below I tested out the screen on the Turnpike up to 80mph. I found that I was in clean air until I stood up with my chin past the top of the screen. With my nose level with the top of the screen I was still in clean air. Since I'm 5"9 this might be of interest to those of you that are taller. At one point I was riding at about 70mph and didn't realize my visor was open until I felt a little bit of dust in my eye. Now that's smooth 😉

1917603698_Flip1.thumb.jpg.3973c7ac0dcc607333fbf4410ce380de.jpg

Flip 2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

While the PowerBronze windscreen is a huge improvement over stock, the top of the screen was at eye level. I was OK to look through the screen until it rained and then had to sit up to look over it. After looking at a few videos on You-Tube of people cutting windscreens I decided to pull out my Jig-Saw. Most videos showed people cutting winshields on the bike but I took the screen off the bike first. The project was so much easier than I expected with the screen off the bike for about 40 minutes. Taping and marking the cut line took about 30 minutes to get it just right. The cutting took about 2 minutes, and 15 minutes to sand the edge. Started with 60 and followed with 600 and 1500 grit sandpaper. I'm very happy with the result. Not able to ride now as its snowing but will update after a test ride. I removed 2".

Windshield 1.jpg

Windshield 2.jpg

Windshield 5.jpg

Windshield 3.jpg

Windshield 4.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

While the PowerBronze windscreen is a huge improvement over stock for me, the top of the screen was at eye level. I was OK to look through the screen untill it rained and then had to sit up to look over it. I had looked at a few videos on You-Tube of people cutting windscreens so out came my Jig-Saw. Most videos showed people cutting winshields on the bike but I took the screen off the bike to cut it. The screen was only off for about 40 minutes, the project was so much easier that I had expected. Taping and marking the cut line took about 30 minutes to get it just right. The cutting took about 2 minutes and 15 minutes to sand the edge. Started with 60 and followed with 600 and 1500 grit sandpaper. I'm very happy with the result. Not able to ride as its snowing but will update after a test ride. 2" removed.

Windshield 1.jpg

Windshield 2.jpg

Windshield 5.jpg

Windshield 3.jpg

Windshield 4.jpg

How did you clamp the windscreen down and where did you clamp it while using the jigsaw? Also what kind of jigsaw blade did you use e.g. Wood or metal?

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

I used the thinnest metal carbon blade I had. I didn't clamp the windshield, just laid it on a workbenck as pictured above and held it with my non cutting hand. Maybe clamping would have giving a straighter cut but sanding took care of my inaccurracies. I kept the piece I cut off to use as a templet should I decide to take more off after a ride.

Blade.jpg

Windshield 6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

2023 Niken GT finally includes an adjustable windscreen. 

Riders will still probably buy different size screens but this should help with fine tuning and minimizing buffeting. 

52E2CB47-1713-4BD1-9CCE-DBD57056F732.jpeg

2019 Niken GT